Speculation: POLL: Would you match the offer sheet on KK ?

Would you match the offer sheet ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
No it tells the other teams that MTL has cap space for Suzuki and Caufield. Reputation to keep your young players at any cost does not play a role if you don t have cap space for them.

Or it tells teams that we so poorly manage communication & relationships with key RFAs that predatory offer sheets are effective and worth exploring...

Reactions: WG

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Or it tells teams that we so poorly manage communication & relationships with key RFAs that predatory offer sheets are effective and worth exploring...

If you go this way, same can be said about Aho. Fox did not want to play there, you can say that about every team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you go this way, same can be said about Aho. Fox did not want to play there, you can say that about every team.

Well, yes, to some degree a team unable to get an RFA to sign reflects a breakdown in the relationship.

In Fox's case, he was more of a Lindros type situation where he never gave his draft team (or the team that traded for his rights, the canes) the chance to sign him... he leveraged his willingness to defer his nhl start until hitting UFA to get to play where he wanted. It's infrequent, but happens.

Aho appears to have been purely a financial question... canes tried to low ball, Habs gave him what he wanted (& a widely viewed "fair" offer) so he signed.

JKOs case points more to a relationship breakdown. A 1-year rfa deal, even at the larger cap hit, is risky for the player. An injury or subpar year could leave him without a QO & few Ufa suitors. Hard to believe that offer gets his signature if he felt valued or that he'd get a fair offer from montreal, where he's already played almost w00 games & built bonds with teammates AND just went on a finals run war with them.

Fox situation isn't remotely comparable, and aho situation not really similar either

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Well, yes, to some degree a team unable to get an RFA to sign reflects a breakdown in the relationship.

In Fox's case, he was more of a Lindros type situation where he never gave his draft team (or the team that traded for his rights, the canes) the chance to sign him... he leveraged his willingness to defer his nhl start until hitting UFA to get to play where he wanted. It's infrequent, but happens.

Aho appears to have been purely a financial question... canes tried to low ball, Habs gave him what he wanted (& a widely viewed "fair" offer) so he signed.

JKOs case points more to a relationship breakdown. A 1-year rfa deal, even at the larger cap hit, is risky for the player. An injury or subpar year could leave him without a QO & few Ufa suitors. Hard to believe that offer gets his signature if he felt valued or that he'd get a fair offer from montreal, where he's already played almost w00 games & built bonds with teammates AND just went on a finals run war with them.

Fox situation isn't remotely comparable, and aho situation not really similar either

Depends how you present it, KK is also the product of a low ball offer from his perspective : 2x2.5 was not enough for him he gets 1x6.1. It is not more risky for him. If he is injured during the first year he gets 6.1 instead of 5 over two years.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No it tells the other teams that MTL has cap space for Suzuki and Caufield. Reputation to keep your young players at any cost does not play a role if you don t have cap space for them.
I question that. This year Suzuki and Caufield are not making much. Next year, Suzuki is due a raise, and following year, presumably Caufield if he pans out.

So assuming KK had inkeda one-year deal at less than $2M, what would happen next year if he had a good year? I'll tell you what. They would pay KK and Suzuki both, and find a way to stay under the cap, like so many other teams do.

Toastman

Oct 12, 2011
I must say, I am quite disappointed . Montreal never has any luck with their 1st rounders …

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Watch them match the offer AND traded for Dvorak! (2nd pick 2022+ Drouin(50% retained) + Poehling)

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - Dvorak - Tofolli
Perreault - KK - Gallagher
Lechonen - Evans - Armia

Extra : Paquette /Byron when available

Very unlikely to happen but hey! LOLL What do I know? I'm just a fan! :DD

But nothing surprises me anymore...

Last edited:

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
The problem is does KK want to be here ? Match it and offer him 4M next year will piss him off.

Mark9988

Aug 29, 2021
Hate to say it, but if KK is gone, I think we are going to see Stall resigned tomorrow

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Hate to say it, but if KK is gone, I think we are going to see Stall resigned tomorrow
Pls stop already. Staal will not be KKs replacement.

I suspect it’ll be Dvorak (Danault replacement in 2C slot) + Bozak on the cheap as 3C

Reactions: Ozmodiar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille