Poll: Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens

Who is the better prospect?

• Total voters

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Does either have a chance of going 1st overall? More people are familiar with Hughes and Kakko's game on the big stage now and I'm wondering if a team may opt for one of the huge centers instead.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dach easily as of now, I am not buying into the Cozens hype as of now. I see a lot of vibes similar to Connor Bleackley and Curtis Lazar when I saw him last season and these late summer tourney's.

Did you watch the Hlinka? Because I don’t know how anyone could watch his performance there and not be impressed.

I don’t see the holes in his game like the guys you are comparing him to.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've read Getzlaf more for Cozens and Thornton for Dach. I havent seen Dach so hard to relly comment for me but doe she really have the mean streak of Getzlaf? Cozens actualy has a bit of bite to his game which makes that comparison make more sense. Any WHL fans want to comment here?

Cozens is a much better skater than Getzlaf was at his age... IMO.

Cozens also has more of a scorer’s mentality.

Prodigy MayD

Jan 3, 2019
I am taking Dach, if it is between Cozens or Dach.

Dach's passing ability is HIGHLY under-rated, he is one of the best passers (if not the best) in the entire draft. In addition, he plays a very smart game. He seems like the "PLD" of this year's draft.

Cozens seems to get lost in the play sometimes, which concerns me. When he is playing well, he is lights out and the better player; however, consistency problems are there. Does have a strong physical 200ft style of game.

If Cozens can become more consistently dominant, I think he might go first between the two. Until then, Dach all the way.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I like Dach alot. Reminds me a bit of Spezza back in his prime.

I saw 1 game Cozen's was in against Moose Jaw & I wasn't blown away. Didn't impact like I thought he would, I guess I'd agree with the poster above about getting "lost in the play". But that's only 1 game. Its hard to nitpick his season & he was more impressive than Dach at the U18.

I'd like to see more of both but right now I like Dach's upside. With his size I could see him going #3 after Hughes/Kakko, based on big center's jumping up in recent drafts.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I am a big fan of both of these prospects and they are almost dead even. I will go with Cozens because if Detroit somehow ended up with the 3rd pick I think he would be a better fit.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I like Dach alot. Reminds me a bit of Spezza back in his prime.

I saw 1 game Cozen's was in against Moose Jaw & I wasn't blown away. Didn't impact like I thought he would, I guess I'd agree with the poster above about getting "lost in the play". But that's only 1 game. Its hard to nitpick his season & he was more impressive than Dach at the U18.

I'd like to see more of both but right now I like Dach's upside. With his size I could see him going #3 after Hughes/Kakko, based on big center's jumping up in recent drafts.

Dach and Cozens are the same size the only difference is Dach has more muscle and weighs more at this point.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Does either have a chance of going 1st overall? More people are familiar with Hughes and Kakko's game on the big stage now and I'm wondering if a team may opt for one of the huge centers instead.

I have Cozens #2, and neither of the consensus top 2 in my top 2. I don't know if any of them have a chance of going first overall, but I think they should.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Nearly no separation between these five, in my opinion.

1. Turcotte
2. Cozens
3. Hughes
4. Kakko
5. Dach

Turcotte over Hughes interesting. When building a team you'd rather have Patrice Bergeron/ Zetterberg over Patrick Kane?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Turcotte over Hughes interesting. When building a team you'd rather have Patrice Bergeron/ Zetterberg over Patrick Kane?

Center>Wing

My philosophy with this draft is that if any of the center prospects emerge to the point where they look like they have a real chance to be 1C's in the NHL, they will be ranked ahead of Hughes. I think Turcotte and Cozens are likely 1C's. Maybe not great 1C's, but there's not an elite player in this draft. Dach is another with a chance to surpass Hughes on my draft list, but I feel like there's a little too much inconsistency in his game. I think he has the most potential of any of those three centers, but his floor is lower.

The NHL is not junior hockey. Hughes is the best current player of all of these players and one of the best junior players in recent drafts, but I don't see his style being as successful in the NHL as some of these other players. Its not about size as opposed to his full game. He's a brilliant player when he's controlling the puck looking to make a play. I think thats the extent of his game though. Kakko isn't as offensively talented as Hughes. He's bigger, but he doesn't show much other than play in the offensive zone. He could be a center though in the NHL, and his defensive game could certainly improve.

Not a very good draft at the top-end, so the order of my list could change a lot between now and the draft. Last season I think my top three didn't change once after September. This season, these players just aren't showing much separation from each-other.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Center>Wing

My philosophy with this draft is that if any of the center prospects emerge to the point where they look like they have a real chance to be 1C's in the NHL, they will be ranked ahead of Hughes. I think Turcotte and Cozens are likely 1C's. Maybe not great 1C's, but there's not an elite player in this draft. Dach is another with a chance to surpass Hughes on my draft list, but I feel like there's a little too much inconsistency in his game. I think he has the most potential of any of those three centers, but his floor is lower.

The NHL is not junior hockey. Hughes is the best current player of all of these players and one of the best junior players in recent drafts, but I don't see his style being as successful in the NHL as some of these other players. Its not about size as opposed to his full game. He's a brilliant player when he's controlling the puck looking to make a play. I think thats the extent of his game though. Kakko isn't as offensively talented as Hughes. He's bigger, but he doesn't show much other than play in the offensive zone. He could be a center though in the NHL, and his defensive game could certainly improve.

Not a very good draft at the top-end, so the order of my list could change a lot between now and the draft. Last season I think my top three didn't change once after September. This season, these players just aren't showing much separation from each-other.

Hughes is a Center though and Keller has shown smaller centers can still be successful, Kane and Gaudreau also have success with that style of play. Hughes is basically a center version of Kane with a worse shot, finishing but better skating. Kakko is a smart and still developing , if he isn't rushed to the NHL I believe can have a Rantanen type of impact. I'd like to see one more year in Finland for Kakko then the AHL, but I doubt that will happen.

chewbaccaman

Aug 31, 2018
Seattle
Re-do this poll and Cozens will have a pretty big lead. Dach has really slowed down lately and his game was never that consistent.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Dach is my #1. He can be the most dominant player in the draft when he is at his game. He's big, strong, fast, great vision and puck skills. His shot is excellent as well and he just needs to use it more. He was the best player at the Hlinka for Canada after Lafreniere and he's the best player on his WHL team.

He's a projected #1 line center. Similar to Ryan Getzlaf in every sense because he's a natural playmaker and would rather pass than shoot, but he has a lethal shot. Not as powerful as Getzlaf, but with more strength it can be elite because it's very accurate.

I have him over Hughes and Kakko because he is a projected center that will be almost impossible to shutdown. I don't like Hughes shot and he's probably a winger at the NHL level. Patrick Kane is more dangerous with the puck than Hughes because he has a great shot and puck skills, Hughes just has great puck skills. IMO, not a Kane calibre player unless he improves his shot. Dach already has a great shot and size.

Cozens is a workhorse and my #3. He will become an incredibly valuable player in the NHL. Another future #1 center. He skates like Barzal, but a totally different player. More grit and shooting in his game, a direct powerful game. Both Dach and Cozens have much more room to improve physically, that size and the natural skating ability will make them difficult players to handle.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hughes is a Center though and Keller has shown smaller centers can still be successful, Kane and Gaudreau also have success with that style of play. Hughes is basically a center version of Kane with a worse shot, finishing but better skating. Kakko is a smart and still developing , if he isn't rushed to the NHL I believe can have a Rantanen type of impact. I'd like to see one more year in Finland for Kakko then the AHL, but I doubt that will happen.

Keller plays wing. They all play wing. You can't play center in the NHL and float without the puck. You also can't play center in the NHL, and have such a perimeter-oriented approach.

Maybe Hughes will be the first, but there's no precedent in the current NHL for him being a center.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dach is the skilled one... right? :sarcasm:

I understand what people say when they say Dach is more skilled. He has better passing vision and ability to assist goals. Cozens isn't really a huge assist guy. He's a good playmaker, but his approach offensively is more about scoring goals than Dach's approach.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I understand what people say when they say Dach is more skilled. He has better passing vision and ability to assist goals. Cozens isn't really a huge assist guy. He's a good playmaker, but his approach offensively is more about scoring goals than Dach's approach.

I actually agree he’s more skilled, I was just poking fun at the folks who said Cozens lacks skill because I don’t think that’s true.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad