Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
My rankings right now:

Hughes
Dach
Cozens
*admittedly have seen very little of Kakko and am probably quite a bit biased towards NA players*

Dach is just a beast and answering (and then some) all the questions that were holding him back this past summer. Cozens stats aren’t quite up there but watch him and it won’t matter. He’s just an incredible blend of size, speed, puck skills, a great and varied shot arsenal, and extremely advanced defensive abilities/responsibility. You really really really can’t go wrong with either, but I put Dach just a bit ahead because he’s playing a bit more centre right now. Although I think Cozens is better on draws so :help:

Reactions: Lemonlimey

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do we feel Dach and Cozens themselves are equivalent level as Hischier/Patrick were during draft time, roughly?
A little early. Patrick's 17-year-old year in the WHL was quite high-end only to have a injury plagued draft season, Hischier really exploded at the WJC. I wouldn't be shocked to see them viewed as similar level prospects to PLD, Hischier and Patrick were viewed at their draft dates.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Rangers are getting Hughes so yes you should set focus on these guys and others. :nod:

Haha, well the Wings will only have an 18.5% chance at Hughes, so might as well familiarize myself with the guys going 2-6 as well. Wings will have the best odds at Hughes, but will end up picking 4th.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Haha, well the Wings will only have an 18.5% chance at Hughes, so might as well familiarize myself with the guys going 2-6 as well. Wings will have the best odds at Hughes, but will end up picking 4th.

Hughes isn't even guaranteed to to #1. Kakko might be #1 after the WJC.

Reactions: TimeZone

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Both are very good, but I like Cozens game more. More of a goal scorer, more dynamic, better two way game, better skater. Dach will pick up more assists, but I think Cozens will pick up enough assists.

Reactions: PWJunior

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
At this point I think Dach has ran away as the better player.

I think Cozens vs Hamaliuk is the more apt debate at this point. Dach is ahead of both.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Thornton was an absolute beast in his prime, really don't why that comparison would scare anyone off. I've seen Dach compared more to Getzlaf but the point would still stand.

I've read Getzlaf more for Cozens and Thornton for Dach. I havent seen Dach so hard to relly comment for me but doe she really have the mean streak of Getzlaf? Cozens actualy has a bit of bite to his game which makes that comparison make more sense. Any WHL fans want to comment here?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I've read Getzlaf more for Cozens and Thornton for Dach. I havent seen Dach so hard to relly comment for me but doe she really have the mean streak of Getzlaf? Cozens actualy has a bit of bite to his game which makes that comparison make more sense. Any WHL fans want to comment here?

Nah I don't think the mean streak is there. The rest of his game is quite reminiscent though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
With Cozens shifting to RW, Dach will likely be the one scouts will be after due to his size and playing center but if I had to rank them based on individual attributes.

Hockey IQ: Dach is an incredibly smart player who can turn what seems like nothing into a scoring chance fro his teamamtes, his vision on the ice is incredible and he likes to stay behind the play to counter any transitions going the other way. Cozens thinks the game at a very high pace, what makes his game so smart is his anticipation for shooting and passing and how quickly he can get the puck off his stick with pressure to a teammate or into the back of the net.

Shooting: Cozens has the better shooting arsenal but tends to drive the net less than Dach. Dach has really shown off his shooting abilities so far this year but I think Cozens is still ahead in terms of raw shooting power and accuracy.

Skating: Cozens is ahead here. Dach isn't a bad skater but he tends to glide a lot. Cozens typically always has his feet moving and has a quicker first few steps. Their top end speed is close but I'd still give the edge to Cozens.

Passing: Dach is ahead by a country mile here and his vision is really top notch. He is more of a pass first player but he is taking a lot more shots this season. Cozens makes some really good crisp passes but he is always looking to shoot the puck moreso then find open teammates.

Faceoffs: Dach really isn't all that good here and although Cozens has shifted to RW he still takes a lot of draws and can still play center at the next level if needed.

Transition: Dach makes some great breakout passes but he is often trailing in transition and tends to hang back quite a bit. Cozens excels off the rush and really likes to press the defenders.

Defence: Dach likes to hang back and is often one of the first forwards to backcheck, he is good down low and in front of his own net and can gain possession back fairly quickly. Cozens has excellent stickwork and gets into passing and shooting lanes really well. Isn't afraid to wear one for the team and can be a staple of any teams PK.

All in all I'd say Dach has the tools to be a 1C in the NHL akin to Getzlaf. A strong leader with a two-way pass first type of game that likely needs to shoot more but will often rack up a lot of assists.

Cozens game really reminds me of Scheifele in that he could be a gritty goalscoring 1C or 1RW, who excels in transition and on the PP and can be a very solid PKer when needed.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
With Cozens shifting to RW, Dach will likely be the one scouts will be after due to his size and playing center but if I had to rank them based on individual attributes.

Hockey IQ: Dach is an incredibly smart player who can turn what seems like nothing into a scoring chance fro his teamamtes, his vision on the ice is incredible and he likes to stay behind the play to counter any transitions going the other way. Cozens thinks the game at a very high pace, what makes his game so smart is his anticipation for shooting and passing and how quickly he can get the puck off his stick with pressure to a teammate or into the back of the net.

Shooting: Cozens has the better shooting arsenal but tends to drive the net less than Dach. Dach has really shown off his shooting abilities so far this year but I think Cozens is still ahead in terms of raw shooting power and accuracy.

Skating: Cozens is ahead here. Dach isn't a bad skater but he tends to glide a lot. Cozens typically always has his feet moving and has a quicker first few steps. Their top end speed is close but I'd still give the edge to Cozens.

Passing: Dach is ahead by a country mile here and his vision is really top notch. He is more of a pass first player but he is taking a lot more shots this season. Cozens makes some really good crisp passes but he is always looking to shoot the puck moreso then find open teammates.

Faceoffs: Dach really isn't all that good here and although Cozens has shifted to RW he still takes a lot of draws and can still play center at the next level if needed.

Transition: Dach makes some great breakout passes but he is often trailing in transition and tends to hang back quite a bit. Cozens excels off the rush and really likes to press the defenders.

Defence: Dach likes to hang back and is often one of the first forwards to backcheck, he is good down low and in front of his own net and can gain possession back fairly quickly. Cozens has excellent stickwork and gets into passing and shooting lanes really well. Isn't afraid to wear one for the team and can be a staple of any teams PK.

All in all I'd say Dach has the tools to be a 1C in the NHL akin to Getzlaf. A strong leader with a two-way pass first type of game that likely needs to shoot more but will often rack up a lot of assists.

Cozens game really reminds me of Scheifele in that he could be a gritty goalscoring 1C or 1RW, who excels in transition and on the PP and can be a very solid PKer when needed.
Awesome post! Thanks very much!

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I'm scared habs won't have a top 10 pick but from 11-20 pick around that range, but it's early in the season and see how it goes, I want habs to tank once more and grab a true #1 C, I still see Kotka as #1 of how he's been playing, I'm going with Dach, electrifying player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad