Poll: Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens

Who is the better prospect?

• Total voters

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’m absolutely in love with both prospects right now and for me they are ahead of Newhook and Turcotte as of right now. Maybe even Kakko. At the moment, who would you rank as the better prospect and who do you think goes first at the 2019 NHL Draft? For me I think Cozens as he had a higher motor and work ethic. Thoughts?

Reactions: Kupo and Lemonlimey

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Either one is a solid pick and brings something different to the table. Right now I lean towards Cozens but may give Dach the edge if he shows he can be a double threat this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'm leaning towards Dach for his playmaking ability and the way he opens up space. He's easily the top playmaker in the draft. Cozens is the better shooter but I also can't call him the best shooter in the draft. It's a close call. They're both top line centers.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Cozens has shown me that he has the potential to be a force and a potential face of a franchise. If Montreal grabs him, I could see him turning that entire franchise around the same way Toews did as a leader with Chicago.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Both part of that 2 thru 8ish grouping of the draft that is all preference. I really dont think theres much separating that cluster of players. My preference is Cozens here, though

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm for Dach right now but that will switch if he doesn't use his shot more this season.

I think there's more upside to Dach. He still looks like a guy getting used to his body after his growth spurt versus a guy like Cozens who looks and feels like a more polished product physically

Can't go wrong with either and I think Cozens may go first because the NHL brasses are all going to prefer the more polished 200 ft player

Reactions: Habs76

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I need more exposure to Cozens and I'm not really sold on mid-summer tournament performances, but I just see such an easily translatable style of play from Dach. Fantastic puck protection and playmaking skills.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Cozens.

Dach is awesome too, both should be top 5 picks likely #2 and #3.

Big 200 foot right handed centres with their skill sets are hard to find.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I hope the Habs draft Cozens.

A future centre depth of
Cozens
Kotka
Poehling
Would be astounding especially compared to our last 10 years

Kotkaniemi would be the smallest of them which is pretty crazy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dach easily as of now, I am not buying into the Cozens hype as of now. I see a lot of vibes similar to Connor Bleackley and Curtis Lazar when I saw him last season and these late summer tourney's.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I went with Cozens.

Dach has to prove he can diversify his game and become a more unpredictable playmaker by shooting more and maybe prove he has a bit of scoring touch in him. If he can do that, he might be my choice over Cozens.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I just don't see high-end skill from Cozens so I'm going with Dach. Cozens might be the better shooter, but both of their shots aren't elite. Dach is just on another level in terms of playmaking, he's got the Joe Thornton type of vision and passing ability along with elite speed. That's a rare package. Cozens would be a great shutdown centre, a Bergeron or Kesler type is honestly what he's projected at. Strong, physical player, great work ethic, and hockey IQ. People say Turcotte is that type of player, but he lacks the size or strength that Cozens has.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I just don't see high-end skill from Cozens so I'm going with Dach. Cozens might be the better shooter, but both of their shots aren't elite. Dach is just on another level in terms of playmaking, he's got the Joe Thornton type of vision and passing ability along with elite speed. That's a rare package. Cozens would be a great shutdown centre, a Bergeron or Kesler type is honestly what he's projected at. Strong, physical player, great work ethic, and hockey IQ. People say Turcotte is that type of player, but he lacks the size or strength that Cozens has.

Cozens game reminds me of Kopitar.. Big 3 zone, all situation 1C.. I think more offense than a Kessler.. Bergeron type possibly ... Dach could be faster .. I see him as more offense first. I think both have to finish more of their chances.

Reactions: snipes

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Cozens game reminds me of Kopitar.. Big 3 zone, all situation 1C.. I think more offense than a Kessler.. Bergeron type possibly ... Dach could be faster .. I see him as more offense first. I think both have to finish more of their chances.
That could be true. Cozens definitely looked like a Kopitar type at the Hlinka Cup, just big, dominating possession and carrying the puck through zones. I feel his hands are a step or two lower than feet and head, so he ends up mishandling the puck when he tries to stickhandle at high speeds or in dangerous scoring areas. That's something he'll have to work on, or maybe he doesn't have it. I don't think that is a huge flaw though, even if he played a little slower he's still faster than most of the draft with a huge frame.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Cozens and Dach should go no lower than 3, they're everything teams dream of in a #1C, in huge frames. Easily the 2nd (Cozens) and 3rd (Dach) best 01's from Canada.

The top end (~10) of the 2019 draft is unbelievable with regards to building block centers, D, and scoring wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->