TSN: Polak on the Block

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
He's playing like a bottom pairing guy. Sure he's tough but he's also useless with the puck.

These kinds of guys aren't worth a lot on the trade market

Veteran tough d men with limited contract length are in demand, especially around TDL. He's the kind of player that excels under certain systems. Hunwick was a bottom pairing d man on other teams as well.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hall Gill doesn't play good in Maurice's system. Beauchemin doesn't play good in Wilson's system. Polak played well in Carlyle's system.
Don't put stay at home d-men with Run and Gun coaches. Put them in situations to succeed. Polak is a proven commodity.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Polak is probably the most obvious trade bait we have this year.

He's okay, nothing special, but he brings something teams value: a D-man who can skate, and is "tough to play against".

In a perfect world we get a 2016 2nd for him, but I think a 3rd + is more realistic.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I would like Polak a whole lot more if he would stop thinking that he should carry the puck....he skates himself into trouble far to many times in a game.

We will move him for a 3rd at some point this season....and maybe if the gods are smiling down on us a 2nd from some desperate team.

He is a hard working D man who is a bottom pair D man...if he kept it simple he could be a better D man, but he will not!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
somebody will overvalue his skillset. they always do.

gms are addicted to toughness on the blue line.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
He's better than Gleason, and Gleason got a 4th. I don't think he'll get a 2nd unless he improves over the next 40 games, but he should get at least a 3rd.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
He's better than Gleason, and Gleason got a 4th. I don't think he'll get a 2nd unless he improves over the next 40 games, but he should get at least a 3rd.

ideally we can get a young-ish top 4 defenseman signed to a good deal with some salary covered plus a 3rd.

YOYOTCROSTER*

Great point about how a dman plays relative to a coaches system and his value because of this dynamic. The reason mac mentioned it is many teams are calling the Leafs to get him. Leafs are not shopping him. You will be quite surprised at his value. A 2nd round pick and a prospect is very likely. but I think Leafs will hold until they get what they want. At TDL he will get even more.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Great point about how a dman plays relative to a coaches system and his value because of this dynamic. The reason mac mentioned it is many teams are calling the Leafs to get him. Leafs are not shopping him. You will be quite surprised at his value. A 2nd round pick and a prospect is very likely. but I think Leafs will hold until they get what they want. At TDL he will get even more.

I don't think you will get more. It's very unpredictable this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Veteran tough d men with limited contract length are in demand, especially around TDL. He's the kind of player that excels under certain systems. Hunwick was a bottom pairing d man on other teams as well.

I think he's moveable too - but the price won't be all that high. Like a 3rd + a later pick.

I'd still take it.

YOYOTCROSTER*

at that price they will hold on. Shanny and Lou are not trading a tough dman for nothing. Just cause the Oilers are scrambling to find one and calling everyone does not mean Leafs will give their only tough guy up. Again the price to come back will surprise most of you.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
they'll try for a 2nd + 4th a la Winnik but may have to settle for a 3rd.

I doubt any dman will be coming back the other way with our abundance of young dman prospects who profile as #4-6 dmen.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Polak's been playing a bit better recently. Not amazing, but he seems to have returned to last season's form. Better than the beginning of this season for sure.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'm not sure what the urgency is to get rid of Polak.

I think we're finally starting to see the toll that the minutes Hunwick is playing isn't sustainable. He's been exposed lately and the guy that we saw in the first 10 games isn't what we're going to get for the last 55 games of the season.

So that leaves the minutes to be distributed throughout to Marincin & whomever else is going to fill in.

I'm all for trading Polak, but I don't know what the rush is for.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I'm not sure what the urgency is to get rid of Polak.

I think we're finally starting to see the toll that the minutes Hunwick is playing isn't sustainable. He's been exposed lately and the guy that we saw in the first 10 games isn't what we're going to get for the last 55 games of the season.

So that leaves the minutes to be distributed throughout to Marincin & whomever else is going to fill in.

I'm all for trading Polak, but I don't know what the rush is for.

Polak has played a lot better recently and Marincin seems to be doing better last couple of games, also.

Would imagine Polak would be delt close to the deadline where teams start to get a bit desperate and overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad