TSN: Polak on the Block

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
On the topic of polak, we shouldn't trade him now. Wait until the deadline, we can easily package spaling or someone else, and polak for a first to some cap team. Of course those two aren't worth a 1st in any capacity, but we would take a substantial cap dump back to make it work. If a 1st isn't realistic or obtainable at the time then you can just do the same thing with a 2nd + good prospect instead. We have a lot of power in the form of cap space, so we should bundle that in to get more value out of polak and the others.

Mar 26, 2010
The management for this team has everything backwards. They are trading everyone that does not need to be and keeping the useless hot garbage that nees to be traded. Toxic dressing room!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
This for me as well.

I don't get why some feel the need to over exaggerate Gunnar's abilities because Polak has struggled. Neither are anything special.

Pretty funny those who weep at the loss of Gunnar.

There's nothing funny about trading a useful 4 or very good 5th D for a 6th or 7th D who can't skate and has no skill with the puck.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
He's a goner. Rumours of him being shopped, Gardiner coming back from injury, Corrado coming back soon from his conditioning stint, kids outplaying him badly at training camp. I expect a trade before American Thanksgiving.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Pretty much a foregone conclusion Polak would be shopped and traded this season when the Leafs confirmed the rebuild last summer since he's a UFA after this year.

Didn't expect his name to pop up so soon though, but defensive defensemen on bad teams seldom look good .. Not to say he's a great player but in the proper role on a good team he could be effective. Good idea to try and move him now before his value lowers any more.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-on-availability-of-schenn-polak-carle-wideman/

Mckenzie: "Depending on who you talk to, veteran defenseman Roman Polak with the Toronto Maple Leafs could be had for the right price"

What can we get for polak realy. Case of water bottles

I would be okay with a 7th for Polak

We could probably get a 2nd out of him if a team specifically likes him. Could go a long way in replacing the picks we lost for Babcock and Lou.

Maybe we get two 3rd's so we get it over with right away.

Somewhere between a 2nd (not likely) and a 7th? :yo:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Polak for Gunnarsson, 4th round pick (No. 94 pick) and retained salary still makes me laugh at the incompetence of that Nonis move.

Gunnarsson is now a fixture in Blues top 4 on a 7-2-1 team near the top of the NHL standings and Polak a healthy scratch and bottom pairing Dman on a 1-5-2 team near the bottom of the NHL standings.

Leafs are likely looking for a desperate team with some injuries to dump Polak on for a prospect or an attempt to recover that lost draft pick.

If I was the coach & with the make up of our present D, I would rather have Polak than Gunnarsson.

Funny how Nonis & some of the previous management always seemed nonchalant about giving up draft picks, but our new management always seems to be thinking, how do we acquire more of them.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
I think Polak will fetch a 2nd or a 3rd + prospect/later pick. As I've said before, some GMs value what Polak has very much, a 2nd isn't completely unrealistic, although it is the ceiling of what he's likely to return.

I'm thinking either Columbus or LA end up trading for Polak. Both of them like physical play, he'll bring that.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I think Polak will fetch a 2nd or a 3rd + prospect/later pick. As I've said before, some GMs value what Polak has very much, a 2nd isn't completely unrealistic, although it is the ceiling of what he's likely to return.

I'm thinking either Columbus or LA end up trading for Polak. Both of them like physical play, he'll bring that.

Agreed. I had said earlier, if it is us looking to trade Polak, we should try to get a 3rd. If it is someone coming to us to try to get Polak, we should be looking for a 2nd.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wouldn't be shocked to see him waived in all honesty.

If no team is willing to give us anything within the next week or so, it's really the only option.

Though, we could send Harrington down, but he shouldn't be punished because Polak and Marincin blow.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

The guy is a few games off being a healthy scratch. You'd be lucky to get a later pick for him if anything.

If he didn't make the cut on this team, you think anybody is going to pay for him?? I'm not saying he's not worth anything, I'm saying no one's going to pay for him. It's kinda like the last head of lettuce at the farmers market, perfectly good but there is just stink associated with it and no one is going to buy it.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Gleason got a 4th last year. Polak right now is still better than Gleason, but has a larger contract.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Gleason got a 4th last year. Polak right now is still better than Gleason, but has a larger contract.

Gleason also returned JM Liles, who we thought we could trade for a decent pick for a very long time.

I remember debating for seemingly forever that JM Liles wold not return a 2nd although that was popular thinking at the time.

I think we could see the same thing with Polak. If we could get a 3rd, I think we should be happy.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Eric Brewer got a 3rd round pick last year. I think Polak should be able to get a bit more than that.

Market changes from year to year.

Polak does seem like the kind of guy who is perfect for "old school" coaches like Torts who seem to value toughness above all else.

I can see the blue Jackets or Boston being interested.

Overall the Leafs have tons of bottom pairing defensive guys. They need to start moving some out for roster space.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
He's a goner. Rumours of him being shopped, Gardiner coming back from injury, Corrado coming back soon from his conditioning stint, kids outplaying him badly at training camp. I expect a trade before American Thanksgiving.

Polak for a turkey ...?
If we can also get some cranberry sauce I say "Deal!!!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad