TSN: Polak on the Block

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Mackenzie reporting Polak is available for the right price...same could be said for all 20 roster players...how is this news?
Babs was right, there will be pain ahead guys.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd say a 3rd+

Leafs could retain on him too.

2nd is pretty damn optimistic. 7th is just ridiculously low.

Yeah I'd go with a 3rd or 4th and a solid defensive prospect for the Marlies.

So for example, maybe something like Stephens Johns and a 4th for Polak from the Stars. Something along those lines, with maybe a small cap dump.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Apparently Boston is looking for defence as well according to Bruce Garrioch. Polak would certainly be a fit there, he plays the style of hockey they like. Sweeney is a tool too so he'd probably give us a good return on Polak.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

FriendlyGiant

Jul 28, 2006
Like many of the Leafs, Polak is playing a lot better these days. He played over 23 minutes last night against Colorado, so the coach certainly thinks he's playing well also. He's only 29 years old and only has one more year on his contract, so I can see him being attractive to a team that thinks they need more toughness on the blue line as they make a run for the cup.

A 2nd rounder in return wouldn't surprise me if he continues to play well this year. The question is: who else do we have in the system who can provide the same physical presence? Do we really believe that Granberg (when healthy) is ready and would be as effective and tough to play against?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
i don't think they care much about physical presence, but if they do, the likes of loov and dermott provide plenty of it.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
i don't think they care much about physical presence, but if they do, the likes of loov and dermott provide plenty of it.

It was certainly nice to have him going after Mcleod anytime Mcleod was picking on our non-fighters.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
He looked better away from Marincin.

I still disliked Marincin last night.

i actually find it shocking that babs dresses marincin. there are very few players that when i watch i feel like they flat out dont belong in the nhl. he is one of them. i recognize that the quality of our defenseman isnt fantastic but surely we can do better then marincin.

imo polak > marincin.

i think its about time frankie C gets some playing time. corrado-polak on the 3rd pairing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
i actually find it shocking that babs dresses marincin. there are very few players that when i watch i feel like they flat out dont belong in the nhl. he is one of them. i recognize that the quality of our defenseman isnt fantastic but surely we can do better then marincin.

imo polak > marincin.

i think its about time frankie C gets some playing time. corrado-polak on the 3rd pairing.

2 RHD - I have OCD with this.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

I was wondering about this too. It's not fair to have him sit this long. Either they are actively working on a trade that will get rid of Corrado or free up a spot for him - something has to change for him soon.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Oh yeah? Based on what? Your viewing of every game every team in the East has played this season?

I don't think many other dmen in the NHL drag down the possession numbers of everyone they play with as much as Polak does.

He is absolutely horrendous

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I can't wait for the day we move Polak. Hopefully some team tries to get him at the deadline to have depth before the playoffs, but I'd like to move him sooner. We need a 6th guy that can be dependable. Marincin and Polak have been disappointing.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I would think, there are a lot of other players being discussed in trades too but Lou keeps a tight Rein, on any talk about trades and we probably won't know, until one actually happens.

I would really like to see Corrado play RHD, before Polak is traded but I'm sure they are already aware, of what he brings to the table.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
How is a 3rd for an established dmen great. He should be worth more than that

:sarcasm:?

He literally makes every player he is on the ice with worse lol. I doubt we can trade him since other teams know he is bad...but I wonder how much longer till he starts getting healthy scratched for Corrado or Harrington

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I don't think many other dmen in the NHL drag down the possession numbers of everyone they play with as much as Polak does.

He is absolutely horrendous

I highly doubt he is the only player in the East who falls within this category (Rob Scuderi comes to my mind as this as well.)

The thing with Roman Polak is he is not an agile skater and needs someone else to skate the puck out for him (Similar to Komisareak when he was with Montreal.) Last season when Polak was paired with Rielly he would just let Rielly skate the puck out for him.

Sadly these type of defenseman do not work in todays NHL as now everyone needs to be able to break out of the neutral zone and the "stay at home" guy is a thing of the past.

I still think though he can be a serviceable bottom pairing guy he just needs that puck mover with him (Something Marincin is not able to do for him.)

YOYOTCROSTER*

That is so much garbage it is pretty darn funny. The stay at home tough defence who protects his teammates, blocks shots, roughs guys up in the corners/net, makes the smart safe pass, and hits a few guys so hard they are scared to go down his wing will never leave the game. Every team needs 2 or 3 of them and Leafs are short of this type. Guys like that keep the skater boys from going to the net. Why? Because they know what is coming to them if they try. Intimidation is still a big part of hockey. What has gone away is the Pronger comments like after I put my stick up ur *** then I gonna put my fist down ur throaT and break a couple chicklets along the way. The verbal harrassment and physcial harrassment is over and done with in hockey. Wow things have really chyanged since my first oha game. The policing side of the game has really changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad