TSN: Polak on the Block

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Polak has played a lot better recently and Marincin seems to be doing better last couple of games, also.

Would imagine Polak would be delt close to the deadline where teams start to get a bit desperate and overpay.

Marincin is awful. I'm not sure if he can go anywhere but up. :laugh:

I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him ice-time.

The Leafs are going to need a guy that can take some ice-time coming back in any trade that they want to make with Roman Polak.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I'm not sure what the urgency is to get rid of Polak.

I think we're finally starting to see the toll that the minutes Hunwick is playing isn't sustainable. He's been exposed lately and the guy that we saw in the first 10 games isn't what we're going to get for the last 55 games of the season.

So that leaves the minutes to be distributed throughout to Marincin & whomever else is going to fill in.

I'm all for trading Polak, but I don't know what the rush is for.

Hunwick didn't have a very good first two periods, but after his Draisaitl screw up & penalty, Babcock came back to him & played him the most of any player in the 3rd period. He responded well & looked very good in the 3rd.

Polak has been a beast lately & Babcock has been ramping up his icetime. Who knows if they are shopping him or not, but if I was scouting him, I would be interested.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As per SN pregame show.. St Louis "regretted that trade".

Propaganda machine in full action. Polak, the saviour of ___________, call now for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

We need a half dozen Seer videos on Polak the warrior MLSE

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Propaganda machine in full action. Polak, the saviour of ___________, call now for this once in a lifetime opportunity.

We need a half dozen Seer videos on Polak the warrior MLSE

I don't agree that STL regrets the trade - but I also don't buy into the opinion he's terrible. He's a legit NHL dman.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Really hope we aren't holding back Corrado just to try and get a 2nd/3rd instead of a 3rd/4th.

Just get the asset. Mark Hunter will do wonders with it.

We're killing Corrado. He's perfectly healthy and has played what? 4-5 AHL games?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Really hope we aren't holding back Corrado just to try and get a 2nd/3rd instead of a 3rd/4th.

Just get the asset. Mark Hunter will do wonders with it.

We're killing Corrado. He's perfectly healthy and has played what? 4-5 AHL games?

Can we realistically can even get a 3rd rounder?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Can we realistically can even get a 3rd rounder?

I think so. GM's love big, tough defenders.

Even if they aren't that good.

But if a team is offering a 4th, we should be taking it. We may get that 2nd/3rd at the deadline, but is it worth the mismanagement of Corrado?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

But if a team is offering a 4th, we should be taking it. We may get that 2nd/3rd at the deadline, but is it worth the mismanagement of Corrado?

I'd say so. We got Corrado for free off waivers, I don't think he has much value around the NHL at all. The difference in return for Polak probably is more valuable than he is. Unfair to the guy, and I'm not happy with how we're using him (especially with how mediocre Marincin is), but I think that's what management might be thinking.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

A coach like Torts would be all over him.

He's not a great player but he fits that "tough guy" philosophy that the older school coaches love.

I'm hoping the Blue Jackets make an offer.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
A coach like Torts would be all over him.

He's not a great player but he fits that "tough guy" philosophy that the older school coaches love.

I'm hoping the Blue Jackets make an offer.

i think lou can get a 4th. i think he is still a leaf because lou is holding out for a 2nd

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Wait it out until the prices go up at the TDL

I remember the Franson/Santorelli & Winnik deals were a few weeks before the TDL, and Nonis/Shanny managed to get very good value.

Winnik got us a 2nd, vs. Petry getting EDM a 2nd at the deadline. Most people would agree Petry has more value, but we were able to get the same value by jumping ahead of the market.

The same thing with the Franson deal; Franson essentially returned a 1st, and Santorelli got us a solid prospect (Leipsic); much better value than most of the sellers got at the deadline.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I remember the Franson/Santorelli & Winnik deals were a few weeks before the TDL, and Nonis/Shanny managed to get very good value.

Winnik got us a 2nd, vs. Petry getting EDM a 2nd at the deadline. Most people would agree Petry has more value, but we were able to get the same value by jumping ahead of the market.

The same thing with the Franson deal; Franson essentially returned a 1st, and Santorelli got us a solid prospect (Leipsic); much better value than most of the sellers got at the deadline.

Winnik (2016 2nd and 2015 4th) vs Petry (2015 2nd and 2015 3rd) was a good return compartively, but that was mostly due to Bergevin ripping off Edmonton. Timonen got 2 2nds, Vermette got a 1st + prospect, Sekera got a 1st + prospect, Yandle got a 1st + 2nd + very good prospect.

The value that Toronto got for Winnik, Franson, and Santorelli was in line with what the market was paying, not better than what sellers were getting.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I think Babs really likes him. I wouldn't be shocked if he was re-signed.
I think Bozak, JVR and Lupul will be the next significant guys to hit the dusty trail.
Followed by Boyes and PAP.
I think Matthias stays, too

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There was a game last week where the Leafs were kind of feeling pressure in the D-zone but nothing crazy...and Polak got a pass around the boards...you would think the first thing a D-man would do is look for an outlook pass...nope not with Polak, he immediately got the puck...panicked and shot it off the boards and out..like this guy sucks! he's a physical D-man but he has no poise at all with the puck, his first reaction is to get it out...That's not how Babcock's possession style works.. I hope we can move him soon or at least sometime early in the new year.

He's been decent to ok this year, but he's definitely a bottom pairing guy, He may be a #5 if not a #6 on a contender

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
There was a game last week where the Leafs were kind of feeling pressure in the D-zone but nothing crazy...and Polak got a pass around the boards...you would think the first thing a D-man would do is look for an outlook pass...nope not with Polak, he immediately got the puck...panicked and shot it off the boards and out..like this guy sucks! he's a physical D-man but he has no poise at all with the puck, his first reaction is to get it out...That's not how Babcock's possession style works.. I hope we can move him soon or at least sometime early in the new year.

He's been decent to ok this year, but he's definitely a bottom pairing guy, He may be a #5 if not a #6 on a contender

Yes, I strongly agree with you.

There are situations where he does very well, but, the problem is that they are situations that if a player doesn't panic and give up the puck, or like you say, just fire it out of trouble, then, the team doesn't get into as many of those situations in the first place; he fires down for icing and then we lose a draw in our end and it's a clustershmuck in front of our net suddenly.

But, he does have strength in certain areas where a lot of players don't. If he's alone in front of our net and one on one with an opposing forward and the puck goes back to the blue line, he can look after the forward better than or as good as anyone, but, that's not a situation that the team wants to ever get into in the first place. But, those are the situations that lots of fans see - and the reason many fans think he's effective; he can do what Gardiner can't do in front of the net with a big opposing forward, he just can't get out of trouble in the first place as slick as Gardiner or Riells can to avoid those situations.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
I think Babs really likes him. I wouldn't be shocked if he was re-signed.
I think Bozak, JVR and Lupul will be the next significant guys to hit the dusty trail.
Followed by Boyes and PAP.
I think Matthias stays, too

at some point we need to make room for the kids to move up. I think percy isn't waiver eligible next season so he will need to be up, same with corrado and Harrington and we have rielly, gardiner, phaneuf, and hunwick under contract. babs might like him but the 2nd or 3rd rounder we could get for him is better for the team short term and long term compared to resigning a 30 year old defensive defenseman to a bottom pairing roll that could get filled for a 3rd the price by Frankie, percy, and Harrington.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

sometimes the goaltender calls the out/around and sometimes it can be the winger on the side of the out

it's not a panic move, the problem that can occur is if the defender doesn't have complete control of the puck it can end in a sloppy clear

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
He will be gone eventually I imagine. It's his contract that likely is holding things up. Leafs won't want to take someone back if they can help it; they probably just want a pick. I believe he's still owed about 2 million dollars of his salary at this point in the year. Too much when teams know he'll cost less in a few months (and he it's not like he's a make or break type player). Not to mention a few teams that have internal cap situations or are waiting to shop later in the year. I figure he'll be a good commodity at deadline time which is probably why the Leafs haven't moved him yet. Teams are always looking to bolster defensive depth and he has things going for him in terms of playoff hockey (physical, RH shot, can actually skate pretty well).

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
He's not good though.

And neither were these players dealt in recent seasons:
Eric Brewer - 3rd rounder last fall who they later dumped on us
Timmonen - last deadline who hadn't played all season for a 2nd + conditional 4th
Kubina - 2nd + 4th
Gill - 2nd
Grossman - 2nd + 3rd
Campoli - 2nd

The one piece teams overpay for every deadline is Dmen.

Polak is a very useful bottom pairing Dman who I'm expecting to bring back at least a 3rd + another pick in the 4th to 6th round range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad