Pokemon Thread #23 - Hakuna Komala!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Not to mention that Gen VII had a very few new Pokémon.

This news basically kills any hope I had of having new Pokémon USUM (unexplored islands, new UBs), though, if it's a 2018 release.

Wonder where it could take place, though. Anybody remembers seeing something that could hint at the next gen in SM (much like the totem in XY)?

Well, Lillie gets on a boat and goes to Kanto at the end of the game. :sarcasm:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm fairly confident it'll be 2019. Generations seem to last 3 years on average (at least recently) so I would expect a they'll take 2018 "off" (aka no new release) and then release on the Switch in 2019.

I think this, too. Maybe Gen 4 remakes but we'll see.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I think this, too. Maybe Gen 4 remakes but we'll see.
Are remakes called "core" games ?

If so I highly, highly doubt they would start on a new console with remakes anyways. If anything I'd say Gen IV remakes will be in 2020-21.

I think they will be released in March 2019. October/November 2018 like the last couple games seems way too early, so I think they go back to early spring releases.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Are remakes called "core" games ?

If so I highly, highly doubt they would start on a new console with remakes anyways. If anything I'd say Gen IV remakes will be in 2020-21.

I think they will be released in March 2019. October/November 2018 like the last couple games seems way too early, so I think they go back to early spring releases.
Yeah, the only way I can see them being out for the end of 2018 is if they reuse the Pokemon animations again, which I really hope they don't. I always like seeing the new animations/ sprites with a new generation, so I was kind of disappointed when they were all the same for Sun and Moon.

And I also don't see them starting a new console generation with remakes. I think it will be Gen 8.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Yeah, the only way I can see them being out for the end of 2018 is if they reuse the Pokemon animations again, which I really hope they don't. I always like seeing the new animations/ sprites with a new generation, so I was kind of disappointed when they were all the same for Sun and Moon.

And I also don't see them starting a new console generation with remakes. I think it will be Gen 8.
I do think we're gonna see new graphics altogether, with much smoother edges and details. A bit like how much better Colloseum and XD were compared to the GBA games at the time.

As a result, I would not be surprised if they used... Pokémon Go sprites.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They said not to be surprised if it's more than a year away. I wouldn't be shocked to see:

Late 2017: Ultra Sun/Moon (3ds)
Late 2018: Sinnoh Remakes? (3ds)
Early 2019: Gen VIII (Switch or Switch/3DS hybrid)

The remakes are the wild card. Obviously they haven't announced an intention to do those yet, and it might be that the Ultra games take the place of a remake set and 2018 ends up being a year off.

I do believe Nintendo has said that even the success so far of the Switch is not going to lead them to abandon the market for the 3DS/dedicated handheld sytem, and Pokemon is one of the big system-selling aspects of their catalog.

Also, today was the first day of registration for the June online competition, which has more mega stones as its door prize. This is an interesting tournament with a size restriction on the pokemon eligible that cuts out a lot of powerful and commonly used mons, and a ton of final evolutionary forms.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If it is really a core game, I would think it is safe to say it will be Gen VIII.

2019 the 3DS should be mostly winding down so unless they intend to release a true successor, I don't think it is crazy to think that gen will be Switch only. At some point the 3DS will be phased out due to age alone.

I am expecting a Sinnoh remake to be the 3DS' last hurrah

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
If it is really a core game, I would think it is safe to say it will be Gen VIII.

2019 the 3DS should be mostly winding down so unless they intend to release a true successor, I don't think it is crazy to think that gen will be Switch only. At some point the 3DS will be phased out due to age alone.

The 3DS will be phased out, but I don't expect them to go Switch-only. I believe when the Switch launched they said that the dedicated handheld market was still part of their plans. It makes sense too. The Switch is portable, but not nearly as portable as even the largest DS/3DS model. And the dedicated handheld and its games basically cost you half as much as a Switch and its software.

I figure that they'll likely adopt a hybrid model where the dedicated handheld is still the primary vehicle for Pokemon but gives the option for people on the Switch to get in on the action too. Surely they can figure out some sort of crossplay setup. Nintendo may be garbage at most online stuff, but they're generally decent enough at interconnectivity for their own systems.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There is a pretty big tech gap between the Switch and the 3DS though.

I'm not sure they spilt up teams and downgrade a potential Switch game for the 3DS that late in its lifespan

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
They've never done 2 remakes on the same console.

FRLG was GBA.
HGSC was DS.
ORAS was 3DS.

Gotta think the DP remakes are gonna be on the switch if it does end up being the 3DS successor.

And as said above, I highly doubt they're gonna split teams and potentially hinder down the quality of the game. The Switch is THE occasion to take the series to another level in terms of world design, graphics and maybe even gameplay.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They've never done 2 remakes on the same console.

FRLG was GBA.
HGSC was DS.
ORAS was 3DS.

Gotta think the DP remakes are gonna be on the switch if it does end up being the 3DS successor.

And as said above, I highly doubt they're gonna split teams and potentially hinder down the quality of the game. The Switch is THE occasion to take the series to another level in terms of world design, graphics and maybe even gameplay.

The Switch is not the 3DS successor. Like I mentioned above, when the Switch came out, Nintendo said that its portability was not meant to replace the dedicated handheld line of systems. They've also said that Pokemon is important to the handheld line as a system-mover to the extent that I cannot see them transitioning the franchise to primarily be a switch series instead of the handhelds.

I also didn't necessarily mean that a crossplay version of the game had to be 3DS/Switch even though I wrote that. I was just using 3DS as an annotation for whatever the handheld happens to be. They can do it on the actual 3DS successor system, and all they would have to do is make the games compatible for link trade/battle. Let each game run its own graphic engine/design and maybe have unique bells and whistles

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Imagine if you can visit the 7 regions in that Switch game, I'll even pay $100 for that ****

...and then I woke up

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The Switch is not the 3DS successor. Like I mentioned above, when the Switch came out, Nintendo said that its portability was not meant to replace the dedicated handheld line of systems. They've also said that Pokemon is important to the handheld line as a system-mover to the extent that I cannot see them transitioning the franchise to primarily be a switch series instead of the handhelds.

I also didn't necessarily mean that a crossplay version of the game had to be 3DS/Switch even though I wrote that. I was just using 3DS as an annotation for whatever the handheld happens to be. They can do it on the actual 3DS successor system, and all they would have to do is make the games compatible for link trade/battle. Let each game run its own graphic engine/design and maybe have unique bells and whistles

They're doing the same thing that they did with the DS, treat the Switch as a "third pillar" until sales justified the transition from the predecessor to the successor. The whole point of the Switch and its hybrid nature was to solve the problem of having 2 hardware lines and then struggling to find any developmental resources for both, because they had to try so hard to push sales for each hardware line that it often came at the detriment of the other hardware line. Basically, Nintendo is consolidating their separate home console, portable console and networking R&D teams into one combined R&D structure. So it wouldn't make sense to push that mantra and then go back on it by creating a dedicated handheld independent to the Switch.

At this point, now that GF is working on a Pokemon game for the Switch, it's hard to argue that the Switch isn't also a 3ds successor.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
They're doing the same thing that they did with the DS, treat the Switch as a "third pillar" until sales justified the transition from the predecessor to the successor. The whole point of the Switch and its hybrid nature was to solve the problem of having 2 hardware lines and then struggling to find any developmental resources for both, because they had to try so hard to push sales for each hardware line that it often came at the detriment of the other hardware line. Basically, Nintendo is consolidating their separate home console, portable console and networking R&D teams into one combined R&D structure. So it wouldn't make sense to push that mantra and then go back on it by creating a dedicated handheld independent to the Switch.

At this point, now that GF is working on a Pokemon game for the Switch, it's hard to argue that the Switch isn't also a 3ds successor.

It really does depend on what this RPG title is all about. If it's a main series game (gen 8, DPP remakes, etc) then you can absolutely say it's the 3DS successor. But if it ends up being more like a Pokemon XD: Gales of Darkness type of game, then there's reason to believe that the 3DS will continue to be supported moving forward, at least for the foreseeable.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
It really does depend on what this RPG title is all about. If it's a main series game (gen 8, DPP remakes, etc) then you can absolutely say it's the 3DS successor. But if it ends up being more like a Pokemon XD: Gales of Darkness type of game, then there's reason to believe that the 3DS will continue to be supported moving forward, at least for the foreseeable.
When they say it is a core Pokemon RPG, they mean it is a main series game.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I actually have never played any of the games outside the original Red/Blue but I really enjoyed it at the time. I think was 14 or so when it came out. I was one of the only people in my school with a game link cable and a gameshark, and I used to have a business selling people rare pokemon I had hacked with the gameshark. Like $10 for a Charmander kind of thing. I made soooo much money, great memories.

I am interested in a new game if it comes to the Switch. I've long dreamed of a Pokemon MMO style game, but I think that's reaching.

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto

I expect an handheld system at some point, the cost and battery life will prevent it from being anything other then a console with a gimmick hand held feature.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
I expect an handheld system at some point, the cost and battery life will prevent it from being anything other then a console with a gimmick hand held feature.

It's worth noting that the 3DS was originally 250 bucks with roughly the same battery life as the Switch. If we're going to see a handheld, it's likely going to be a mini version of the Switch.

Oh true, I forgot they actually said "core RPG game" so yeah that would imply main series.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. Plus it would explain why the 3DS Models are ridiculously high quality.

I don't think we'll see a Sinnoh remake for the 3DS. Remakes are usually saved for the better hardware.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
Anyone have a recommendation on what Pokemon to breed from Gen 7? I'm trying to to get back in and just wondering what opinion you guys have.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Trying to go through Sun right now and my team keeps getting crushed by Totem Mimikyu. I'm using Vulpix, Rufflet, Misdreavus, Pikachu, Shiinotic, and Lycanroc all at least 5-7 levels higher than the damn Mimikyu.

I need to evolve half my team, but I lack the stones and/or am waiting for moves on their learnset.

Also there's a week to go before the next PGL tournament starts, with entrants getting the Mega Stones for the Ralts line and Lopunny. I'll probably end up punting the matches I play there anyway, but if I get time I'm going to probably breed some Eevees since they're one of the few fully evolved pokemon that fit under the height restriction and aren't super-weak vendor trash type mons.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I didn't forget about my SS Nuzlocke. I was waiting for my Eevee to get max happiness. I finally got it there yesterday afternoon. I'm also grinding a little more so Gengar doesn't wipe out my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad