News: Poile not changing coach (UPD: he lied), says anyone is available. possibly sellers.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
What would the ask be on Forsberg? Or Jarnkrok?

Vancouver needs a top six winger for Pearson and Horvat.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Not sure what direction the Preds are going but Lavi was only one part of the problem.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
It is rarely made public because it is rarely relevant.

Carey Price is one of the more famous cases where it was publicized because Montreal was in a similar position to Nashville shortly after extending Price. If you scroll down at Capfriendly and look at the previous contract that Price was on, you will see that in the notes section they mention that his modified NTC was turned into a NMC after he negotiated an extension.

I have no way of knowing how common this is, but I would guess that it must be common place. As long as the player isn't finishing up an RFA year where they cannot have trade protection, it only makes sense to have the trade protection upgraded to reflect the trade protection in the extension. Otherwise, a player puts themselves at risk of being flipped by their team shortly after extending if things go badly.

Ah that makes sense, especially since players are rarely flipped before they begin an extension, thanks!

archangel2

May 19, 2019
here is the latest example of a GM saying

"we will not fire our coach"

GM to English it means

"WE are trying to find a back door to toss him out of"

Reactions: 63 others

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What would the ask be on Forsberg? Or Jarnkrok?

Vancouver needs a top six winger for Pearson and Horvat.

With Lavy being gone I could see both being unavailable for the time being. Forsberg would be expensive.

Poile should've fired himself. He has 7 series wins in his 20 years as GM of Nashville. The average team over this span has 10.

Judging from your avatar I'm assuming you're a Toronto fan? Your team has rarely been anywhere close to where we were from 1998-05 or when were on the verge of moving. Of course you would think Poile is a disappointment, he helped save Washington and Nashville from moving, he's got carte blanche here.

You say he's only won 7 series in 20 years, I say he's only missed the playoffs three times since we graduated from expansion team to playoff team.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Boeser for Forsberg is solid if we want a shake up.

Arvidsson had 34 goals in 58 games last year and makes 4 million for the next five years. You're not getting him for prospects like Gaudette.

Josi is 15th in the NHL in points, tied with Elias Pettersson. 1st in goals for defenseman and 2nd in points behind Carlson. You're not getting him for 4-5 good pieces and cap dumps.
Gaudette isn’t a prospect. He is a 2nd year center in the NHL and is on pace for 47 points this year.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Well, for having one of the best D & G in the league, they sure do allow a lot of goals :) 14th most in the league.

They are only afloat because they also score 7th most goals in the league. If anything, they should upgrade their D before the playoffs. Otherwise it's another quick exit. I guess they will not get rid of the declining Rinne out of courtesy, but they should start to work on their next #1 goalie, which Saros is not cut out for. He'll make a fine #2, but they need someone better for when Rinne retires (or is retired). Maybe try to get Halak?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Poile probably realized no one wanted Granlund, Turris, Duchene or Johansen.
Teams would want 3 out of that 4, they're not say, Loui Eriksson bad.

Poile will give a new coach a certain amount of games or right before the deadline to see who fits that coach's system if that's their guy and move anyone that isn't a fit anymore. But acting like guys like Johansen and Duchene don't have value is absurd even at a base mockery level, it's weak.

Turris definitely needs a change of scenery and that's a well known thing, Granlund is a rental at this point if they dump him off, a depth guy if they retain they can probably get some decent return even if its just picks.

I am just curious who their next coach will be. Todd Nelson is a fantastic candidate that seems to get passed over.

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I’m hoping the new coach doesn’t try to run everything through Josi. I’d love to see what the forwards could do it we tried to run the offense through them. Had a glimpse of it at the beginning of the season and they did awesome

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Brent Salmon

Feb 24, 2019
Predators not considering immediate coaching change, says GM Poile

Towards the end of the article in the second last paragraph he says he is open for business and is willing to listen to any teams offers of "any of his players", not blaming Laviolette. Also says the Preds have not been sellers in many years, but could be this year. I would assume Josi is untradeable, but he did say any of his players...

I wish he would just fire Lavy.... but things could get crazy. The team is majorly disappointing.

I honestly do not know if I see Poile truly "selling". The man has done everything possible in hockey except achieve the ultimate goal of winning a Cup. He is 69 years old, so rebuilding is not in his best interest to accomplish this....
Babcock as coach

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so all it took was an OT loss for him to be not considering to actually firing the coach..lol

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
As much as I didn't like him in Toronto for our roster, Babcock might actually make sense for the Preds and their current team

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I feel like Mike Fisher could be a good option as coach. You know he wants to be around the game still. He has everyone’s respect. He’s a natural leader....
Not to mention his connection with the Preds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad