Post-Game Talk: PO #4 | Penguins at FLYERS | Wed., April 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
the team looks bad at times. Pitts so good at taking advantage of turn overs or errors. I wont get into the blaming or defending of our stars. Anyone who thought this team as it is made up could compete with Pitts is/was delusional.

As for the coaching it surely isnt helping our players that much from what I see. I also dont think anyone is fired. Hextall has yet to FIRED any of the coaching staff since taking over. He is letting their contracts run out and moving on. Just like with the slop players and contracts. He clearly Has a time table in mind when he looks at his team and thats probably why He isnt clearly house in some cases.
EX: Lappy is the PK coach its clearly bad with him at the helm. Just looks like he is waiting out that contract. Again Lappy was thrown into that role because homer didnt address the coaching in the off season and fired Lavi 3 game in. Berube actually had a good PK going for us.

I dont know what their contracts look like but thats where I would start to look to see what changes are going to be made. Coaches get FIRED when the GM believe his team is under performing. The Flyers are a tweener right now. Hence the make - miss -make of the playoffs since 2012!!!!!!!

Reactions: Ruck Over

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Then they just aren’t good enough, and at the very least disappear in the face of intensity and adversity. What has this group of stars and this core of players accomplished since assembled? They’ve missed the playoffs 3 times, lost in the first round twice (about to be 3) and got out of the first round once. I’m sorry, but this team needs a full rebuild.

Sure, let's let all of the blame at the feet of our only good players. The ones that are the only reason that we made the playoffs.

Makes sense to me.

Classic Philadelphia sports fan response. Don't blame the management for failing to assemble enough to support so that the best players can be effective. Don't blame the coaching for their dog shit scheme that sets up the players to fail. Just blame the top players because, reasons.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Sure, let's let all of the blame at the feet of our only good players. The ones that are the only reason that we made the playoffs.

Makes sense to me.

Classic Philadelphia sports fan response. Don't blame the management for failing to assemble enough to support so that the best players can be effective. Don't blame the coaching for their dog **** scheme that sets up the players to fail. Just blame the top players because, reasons.
This is the most frustrating thing about being a Philly fan. Shit on our best. Granted they havent been great this series but the team has been terrible. we are getting exposed by one of the deepest teams the League has seen since the Salary cap started

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I grew up a Flyers fan - I never saw Hextall play (I was too young) but I've seen us in good times and bad. I watched every single game that last place season - our pathetic roster of revolving door slop (Calder, Mike York, Hatcher, Rathje, etc).

I have NEVER experienced this. I don't even want to watch our team. I am embarassed by them. I probably hated John Stevens more than anyone else and I was never this frustrated with him. Say what you want but if Hextall does NOT let Hakstol go; I am done with Hextall as well. If we start the season next year letting our young guys rot in the AHL (ya know the ones we parted ways with so many other players for while acquiring the likes of Flip, Lehtera, Weise), I probably won't watch. It's not a rebuild if you don't insert the players you've acquired in.

Also, this is our second "rebuild" in 10 years. At some point, the "rebuilding" is supposed to wind down while we gain consistent success - if that doesn't happen, it's not working

Spot on my friend.

Reactions: FlyersMania2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This. I wasn't expecting us to win, but I thought we'd at least TRY to win, at least go toe to toe with them. This team has been embarrassed at home for the 2nd time in a week; the Pens are making us look like a Beer League team. How tf did we even manage to win a game?

3 of the 4 games have legitimately looked like the 2014 Canadian Mens Olympic team vs the Reading Royals. It does not look like 2 teams that play in the same league, and that is not hyperbole. That's an honest assesment. I mean...17-1 in 3 games....that's like Team USA in Mighty Ducks 2 vs the team from Trinidad-Tobago.

That type of discrepency does not come down to just talent. One team is prepared from A-Z and one team is prepared from A-B.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So wheres this second rebuild?

There's the one we're currently in, started 4-5 years ago, and the other is...?

The summer of 2011 we entered a retool when we traded Richards and Carter. I wouldn't call it a traditional rebuild but it was definitely a "steps back to take steps forward" retool. I'm assuming that's what people were referring to. Holmgren botched that but luckily had the pieces from the 2 big trades to carry forward into Hextalls actual rebuild (which really is more of a slow build than a rebuild, since he didn't really scorch earth it).

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
So wheres this second rebuild?

There's the one we're currently in, started 4-5 years ago, and the other is...?

When we started moving Carter and Richards and such - making up some of our core now (some of which has also been moved). G, Voracek, Simmonds, Coots, etc - all are a product of our first round of rebuilding. TK, Morin, Sanheim, etc are part of the second wave of rebuild.

You can't even deny this is the second time in 10 years we've called our current situation a rebuild.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The summer of 2011 we entered a retool when we traded Richards and Carter. I wouldn't call it a traditional rebuild but it was definitely a "steps back to take steps forward" retool. I'm assuming that's what people were referring to. Holmgren botched that but luckily had the pieces from the 2 big trades to carry forward into Hextalls actual rebuild (which really is more of a slow build than a rebuild, since he didn't really scorch earth it).
That's really strange for two reasons..

First, I wouldn't really call that a rebuild. Especially considering how they were good immediately after and there was never really a step back, like you'd expect in a rebuild. That trade didn't start a rebuilding period... they still had a ton of vet NHL talent (Pronger, Briere, Hartnell, Timonen, Coburn, and the NHL-ready guys they got in the trade) and went out and made a huge FA splash by adding a starting goalie to a giant contract.

Second, using that as a criticism of the current rebuild path doesn't make any sense since it's both by a different person and a wildly different strategy.

General Joseph

Dec 25, 2017
Florida Panhandle
Grand total of 1 goal in the 3 losses , and that goal was scored on a little chip shot by our rookie Patrick . Tough to win when you score 1 goal in 3 games ! Kings can testify to that against Fleury and Vegas .

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Grand total of 1 goal in the 3 losses , and that goal was scored on a little chip shot by our rookie Patrick . Tough to win when you score 1 goal in 3 games ! Kings can testify to that against Fleury and Vegas .

Our only goal in our losses was by Sanheim from the point.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Let's not forget post 06-07 when we were terrible so we started acquiring peices (Forsberg trade, Coburn acquisition) etc - it was called a "rebuild" then; then 2011 when we got rid of Richards and Carter we were doing a "partial rebuild" or "retool" I forget what they called it. And alas, here we are in the midst of the rebuild Hexy started. So yes, we've spent more time rebuilding in the past 10 years than we have putting a team on the ice that we are saying is our competitive team to make a cup run.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's really strange for two reasons..

First, I wouldn't really call that a rebuild. Especially considering how they were good immediately after and there was never really a step back, like you'd expect in a rebuild. That trade didn't start a rebuilding period... they still had a ton of vet NHL talent (Pronger, Briere, Hartnell, Timonen, Coburn, and the NHL-ready guys they got in the trade) and went out and made a huge FA splash by adding a starting goalie to a giant contract.

Second, using that as a criticism of the current rebuild path doesn't make any sense since it's both by a different person and a wildly different strategy.

That's why I consider what Holmgren did a retool.

Hextall started the rebuild, and it wasn't a full-on rebuild as much as it was a shift in organizational philosophy towards drafting and developing and living for the future.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let's not forget post 06-07 when we were terrible so we started acquiring peices (Forsberg trade, Coburn acquisition) etc - it was called a "rebuild" then; then 2011 when we got rid of Richards and Carter we were doing a "partial rebuild" or "retool" I forget what they called it. And alas, here we are in the midst of the rebuild Hexy started. So yes, we've spent more time rebuilding in the past 10 years than we have putting a team on the ice that we are saying is our competitive team to make a cup run.

That was undoubtedly a rebuild in the summer of 2007.

Once that group ran its course, Holmgren retooled in 2011.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
People give Hextall too much of a leash because he used to play here and was a fan favorite.

Also, why the F is Raffl still with this team? He's been as useless as dirty laundry since like 2015.

If MacDonald is back in the lineups next year, I'm out.

Pierre McGuire couldn't STFU about the prospects again last night...I died when he's like, "Don't forget about Robert Hagg!"

I'm thinking..."Really? If Hagg was so good, why isn't he playing? If we're going to get our asses beat, might as well let the kids try and not turnstile bums like MacDonald."

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Moving on from Simmonds should have been done years ago but here we are. A lack of quality ES players is what has cost this team.

Van Buren Boy

--------------------
Aug 18, 2006
Dubois is doing something and is a force. He is hammering everything in sight and plays with balls. Patrick, to, Patrick are the only players plus the 4th line to show up with energy and play hard.

He also doesn't play with dead weight on his line

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Yes, a very irrelevant pick for a 25 year old once highly-touted goalie that still could turn it around. That's nothing in the grand scheme of things if we don't re-sign him. It might as well be a $5 lottery ticket.

And Filp -- so you agree it's essentially a free player? One that filled the 3C spot since we had no one else who could fill it. He isn't particularly good anymore, but it's hard to call it a bad trade for us. It helped last year, oddly as people may believe that to be.

That “irrelevant” pick has been the crux of Hextall’s existence, and it was paid to add a goalie for a playoff berth.

Sure, Flip was a free throw-in relative to Streit’s apparent market value. Why would Hextall be concerned with filling the 3C spot in the short term? Think it’d have anything to do with adding a hopefully beneficial to the team for a playoff push?

Reactions: Ruck Over

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Not what I meant. Picks are not irrelevant no matter how late they are. That's Holmgren talk. And that one wasn't even late in any form.

I'm a process fan -- trust me, I know and respect the value of picks. What I'm saying is we exchanged a 4th (which has now become a 3rd unfortunately) for a young goaltender that could've/could become long-term member of our organization for the positive. That isn't Holmgren talk or logic.

Even if it is/was, it is so counter to Hextall's method in-general; why could he be allowed one or two of those? Doesn't change his style and long-term plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad