Post-Game Talk: PO #4 | Penguins at FLYERS | Wed., April 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Sure, let's let all of the blame at the feet of our only good players. The ones that are the only reason that we made the playoffs.

Makes sense to me.

Classic Philadelphia sports fan response. Don't blame the management for failing to assemble enough to support so that the best players can be effective. Don't blame the coaching for their dog **** scheme that sets up the players to fail. Just blame the top players because, reasons.

It’s not all the players fault, I never said that, but good job misrepresenting my argument to fit your pigeon-holed generalized way of dealing with opinions you don’t agree with. When I say full rebuild, I mean the coaching staff needs to be ENTIRELY replaced as well.

However, the teams best players (besides G probably) just aren’t good enough. Again, making the playoffs can be a matter of talent, but if you can’t translate that to a different environment of higher intensity and higher stakes, then you aren’t good enough to win when it matters. They have, objectively, demonstrated that over an extended period of time at this point. It’s not working.

But, ad hominem probably works too, so keep doing that, champ.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
For me, the Hextall clock starts ticking the day after the Cup is won. He has to make the transition from Ron the Rebuilder to the roster shaper, and the new focus must be evident in the off-season moves. Patience is good because there is every reason to believe that the answers to this team's failures are already in-house. As I have posted before, though, Hextall has wealth of talent at pretty much every position that could be used if a sweetheart deal presents itself. Hextall has the benefit of not being obliged to swing deals and can drive as hard a bargain as he wants with his more desperate colleagues.

I would still like to see one move -- not a knee-jerk but a BIG move that makes long-term success -- to shout that what fans have seen in this series is unacceptable for this franchise. We discussed Doughty -- and I'm still very interested in this scenario -- but arguably the biggest black hole in the short-term roster is the goaltender who can get this franchise from the submediocrity at present to (hopefully) Hart / Sandstrom as starter. Going back to the Flyers West theme, Quick has 5 years left at $5.8 million. It's more term than I would like but if the stars align and he could be had for a reasonable return, that gives a couple of years of Hart in the AHL and then 1-2 years as backup. In 4ish years, Quick can transition to backup, get dealt, or waived when the next lockout produces a Get Out of Jail Free card. In 2020-21 his actual pay goes from $7 million to $3.5 million and then down by $500,000 in each of the last 2 years.

Like Doughty / Karlsson discussions, it is all predicated on how much it would cost the Flyers. Quick just turned 32 so age will start to be a factor in a couple of years. Imagine the plus to the young roster -- I'm thinking of you, Sanheim -- when not every mistake ends up in the back of the net. Plus, it would be fun to put to rest the "goalie graveyard" albatross around this team's neck.

Being objective, the Flyers are in an enviable position of having their top 6 and top pairing all but squared away for next season, and some piece in place to fill the remaining slots as flotsam and jetsam are allowed to drift away. A big splash in goal, while not flushing the future, would be huge as the skaters win their spots.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
th.gif

c'mon hextall...use your LA connections and get this done...

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
That “irrelevant” pick has been the crux of Hextall’s existence, and it was paid to add a goalie for a playoff berth.

Sure, Flip was a free throw-in relative to Streit’s apparent market value. Why would Hextall be concerned with filling the 3C spot in the short term? Think it’d have anything to do with adding a hopefully beneficial to the team for a playoff push?
or...flip was a low price cost controlled for a year and a half C option on a team that only had 2 viable C options (G and Couts).

Getting Flip meant hextall wasnt forced to aquire someone else or promote a prospect he didnt want to. Options...he bought a year.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Wow that line up is just an abomination. Hakstol clearly doesn't know or understand how to get the most out of his young players. Why is Filppula on the top line? Perhaps something like
Laughton - Giroux - Konecny (for speed)
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Weal/Raffl - Fillppula - Simmonds
Weal/Raffl - Lehtera - Read

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
see what a 37 year old dominik hasek got on in a trade and compare that to a 32 year old quick.

that is the last time a goalie of quicks caliber was traded in their relative prime.
kozlov, a first, and a conditional 3rd in 2001?

Do keep in mind too...that the landscape of the NHL is very different with the cap now.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad