GDT: PO #3 | Penguins at FLYERS | Sun., April 15, 2018, 3:00 pm ET | NBC, CBC, TVA Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I was out and missed the 1st last night so was playing catch-up, but I accidentally taped the national broadcast, so I had to watch that for the first 2 periods. Forslund is an infinitely better listen than Doc. He's a good ol' fashioned play-by-play guy and not a warbling senile old bat.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'm mostly okay with Pierre if he's not with Doc. Doc brings out the worst of Pierre's swooning impulses.

It's a shame Forslund doesn't get the the #1 role for NBC. The deference to Emrick is gross.

Reactions: phlflyer1 and CNote

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Did they release the shirt design (presuming of course they are doing that as the giveaway)? If they are I wear my orange Giroux jersey tomorrow.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ah, so then I guess you think McDavid isn't elite because they don't win games. Or did you not think before typing?

Malkin sucks defensively. He is one dimensional. Is he no longer elite? Is Ovechkin not elite?

Does Voracek score like Malkin and Ovechkin?
5 year average:
Malkin: 30-43 73 ES 20-25 PP 10-18 (65g)
Ovechkin: 47-30 77 ES 27-20 PP 20-10
Voracek: 19-49 68 ES 13-28 PP 6-21
I'd also point out that Voracek is 3-4 years younger, so they scored at a higher rate into their 30s.
And they score goals, not just rack of assists (since there are close to 2 assists per goal, goals are more valuable).

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
5 year average:
I'd also point out that Voracek is 3-4 years younger, so they scored at a higher rate into their 30s.
And they score goals, not just rack of assists (since there are close to 2 assists per goal, goals are more valuable).

Little disingenuous, no? Here's where each team ranks in 5v5 goals over those 5 years:

Pittsburgh: #3
Washington: #5
Philadelphia: #25
I'm sure Voracek wouldn't see a stat increase playing on those teams in that timespan, as being on a much better 5v5 team is irrelevant to individual production. And he's STILL not trailing those players by that much. Besides, it's not like Voracek hasn't arguably been the best 5v5 player on the team in that 5(+) year period, recording 165 points to Giroux's team-best 171 (and it was 126 to Voracek, 114 to Giroux before the latter's career year), along with posting some of the best underlying metrics on the team in that period. THE best for multiple years.....hell, among NHL best for multiple years. This is the very definition of letting your bias craft the argument because even you can't be unaware this is logically fallacious.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek played with Giroux most of those years, so it's doubtful he'd been any more productive on those teams.
And Malkin has outscored him despite only averaging 65 games a year.
At the same age, no one would trade Malkin or Ovechkin even up for Voracek.

Voracek has not been as good as Giroux, even with Giroux's "lost season" last year, because Giroux is a better defensive player and a solid PK player (even if you'd rather not use him in that role).

If Voracek is "elite," then the word doesn't mean what I think it means.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
I was very surprised by the results of that hit. From all impressions, Letang seems to be much larger and to see him go flying like that, makes me wonder if Giroux has got a little bit of what Crosby has going on: lower body strength.

While I think he braced himself for the collision it wasn't a penalty.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
I think Voracek has all the tools to be elite, but it does seem like he doesn't use his size all the time and prefers to exist on the periphery of the play.

Size wise, he's one of the larger Flyers. That's one thing that drives me crazy. All of our big players play a soft style of game.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Also he never shoots (just ignore that he led the team in shots and is 20th in the NHL over the last two seasons).
Shooting doesn’t matter.

That’s a way to get points and points obviously don’t matter. Selfish is all it is.

Only stats like hits, blocks, +/-, and then intangibles. That’s what good ol’ Canadian boys do. Not these classless euro scum.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
5 year average:

Yes, he is in fact in their neighborhood for production. He is one of the most productive wingers in the game. How is the difference between elite and not-elite five points?

Is this one of those deals where you take an unreasonable stance and then say a bunch of ridiculous nonsense to try and prop it up?

Like how the inevitable outcome of your defense of every single thing Hakstol has ever done is that you've forced yourself into a position where you have to believe he is the best coach in the league?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The past few pages we are actually arguing that we need:
  1. a top 2 guy in points league-wise to hit more
  2. trade away the winger who is 7th in points league wise (among wingers)

I can think of only two groups bright enough to come up with those ideas:

idiocracy9n-8-web.jpg

And....

(that’s an Idiocracy reference, people)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad