GDT: PO #3 | Penguins at FLYERS | Sun., April 15, 2018, 3:00 pm ET | NBC, CBC, TVA Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
I have to say that was a masterful game by Hakstol. It was very bizarre to see the unpopular players who he selects to be in the lineup, have great games.

Lehtera looked like he was in another gear. MacDonald looked solid, dealing with the much bigger, stronger Malkin or Hornqvist. Read looked really good early, physical, etc in the first.

The goal on Manning, I don't know what happened there. One mistake and it was a blown shut out. The tv guys said the ref got in the way, but replays didn't show that part of the ice. It just showed Hornqvist blowing by Manning, on what looked like a pinch.

Elliot was great. He put the team on his back and made great saves in the first. The team built up their confidence and just got stronger and stronger.

Pittsburgh did not play badly. They dominated early, with crisp passing and very little puck carrying which was giving the Flyers fits and they could not keep up. Flyers started a pressure game and began disrupting passing lanes, which led to Pittsburgh's game falling apart as they resorted to carrying the puck. Elliot's rebound control was excellent and he swallowed up almost every shot resulting in a faceoff.

Faceoffs were terrible for the Flyers. It seemed like they could only win them in the neutral zone.

Lastly, Giroux was not good. He looks like he is over thinking a bit.

Cracks me up that the Pens' fans thinking the reffing favored the Flyers. I will say again, I don't know what boarding or checking from behind is anymore. Both teams were hitting people square in the numbers and there was no call. The diving, was obvious, and I'm glad we got one of the calls, but I wonder why Simmonds didn't get the benefit and MacDonald did, since what he did was a lot closer to being a penalty than what Simmonds did. Malkin did get away with a few other calls as well. As did Hornqvist.

It could be argued that it just wasn't Pitts' night, they played well and still lost. Hit posts, missed open nets, etc. However, this discounts the amazing turn around the Flyers pulled off. Everyone was skating hard and putting in effort. The Penguins power play was rendered pointless, going 0 for 4 opportunities. There were a couple power plays where they didn't get any chances.

Hakstol and the Flyers took Pittsburghs' game away from them. They couldn't dictate and play their speed game. Great job.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
And how everyone here assumes that if they win, it's the players, but if they lose, it's the coach.

Considering a select few players dragged the team to the playoffs despite repeated poor coaching decisions, that's actually fair. However I've already given Hakstol credit for taking away the Pens bread and butter. The challenge is what happens next. It's the same thing he did against Washington. He needs to have more tricks than that, because Sullivan does.

You on the other hand apparently believe Hakstol hasn't done a single thing wrong in three seasons, which must mean you believe he isn't just the beat coach in the league, but one of the best ever.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I have to say that was a masterful game by Hakstol. It was very bizarre to see the unpopular players who he selects to be in the lineup, have great games.

Lehtera looked like he was in another gear. MacDonald looked solid, dealing with the much bigger, stronger Malkin or Hornqvist. Read looked really good early, physical, etc in the first.

The goal on Manning, I don't know what happened there. One mistake and it was a blown shut out. The tv guys said the ref got in the way, but replays didn't show that part of the ice. It just showed Hornqvist blowing by Manning, on what looked like a pinch.

Elliot was great. He put the team on his back and made great saves in the first. The team built up their confidence and just got stronger and stronger.

Pittsburgh did not play badly. They dominated early, with crisp passing and very little puck carrying which was giving the Flyers fits and they could not keep up. Flyers started a pressure game and began disrupting passing lanes, which led to Pittsburgh's game falling apart as they resorted to carrying the puck. Elliot's rebound control was excellent and he swallowed up almost every shot resulting in a faceoff.

Faceoffs were terrible for the Flyers. It seemed like they could only win them in the neutral zone.

Lastly, Giroux was not good. He looks like he is over thinking a bit.

Cracks me up that the Pens' fans thinking the reffing favored the Flyers. I will say again, I don't know what boarding or checking from behind is anymore. Both teams were hitting people square in the numbers and there was no call. The diving, was obvious, and I'm glad we got one of the calls, but I wonder why Simmonds didn't get the benefit and MacDonald did, since what he did was a lot closer to being a penalty than what Simmonds did. Malkin did get away with a few other calls as well. As did Hornqvist.

It could be argued that it just wasn't Pitts' night, they played well and still lost. Hit posts, missed open nets, etc. However, this discounts the amazing turn around the Flyers pulled off. Everyone was skating hard and putting in effort. The Penguins power play was rendered pointless, going 0 for 4 opportunities. There were a couple power plays where they didn't get any chances.

Hakstol and the Flyers took Pittsburghs' game away from them. They couldn't dictate and play their speed game. Great job.
Players were always the problem. Didn't show for the first game but can play like that and pens still we're playing good hockey just flyers competed hard where it counted.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Let’s go boys!

Amac playing like our future D will. He played a great game and it payed off. Provy was masterful. I would 100% change manning for Hagg.

Who knows what’s going to happen. Flyers have the advantage going home, but they don’t play well at home, but the pens don’t play well on the road, but the pens just got blown out at home, but Murray hasn’t played well all year, but Hakstol is our coach.

Somewhat feels like that 2012 series where no one had a clue what was going to happen.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Our MVP needs to keep scoring, I dont need him to hit every fly he sees out there.
Gotta do it all at this time of year. First two games haven't been good by him but he'll get it. Coots raised the level four notches and g now had to do the same.

Rodu58

Nov 12, 2017
One thing we need to do is stop letting Malking cross the middle of the ice and try and poke check him, I'm nit sure what forwards were doing it, but I noticed it both games. Go for the body

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't want Giroux throwing hits and risking a fluky injury or being a bigger target for future hits.

If anyone should be throwing hits, it should be one of our "tough" detriments, like Simmonds, Manning, or Gudas.

Reactions: phlflyer1

madlee

Mar 7, 2015
This team definitely has it's Jekyll and Hyde moments, from the 10 game streaks to games one and two. I guess it could be argued that consistency is Hakstol's problem, but after last night's game I don't know what to think anymore.

In an attempt to be objective, consider the Penguins' coaching history.

Therrien takes over for a dismal Olczyk and immediately turns the team around (mostly on the backs of the new blood) but still puts the team into the cup final in two years. Team tunes him out and he is replaced with Bylsma who wins the cup. Over the next few years, Bylsma coached a team devastaed by injuries to very good regular season results and fairly good post season results. The team personnel that Bylsma had when he got fired is no where near the talent level that Sullivan has currently. The influx of young talent that makes regular contributions and the Kessel trade, elevated that team substantially. Is Sullivan really that much of a better coach than Bylsma? Last night Bylsma looked no where near his regular confident self, even with the favorable officiating. Sure, we got a few waived off icings and maybe got away with one on Provorov's hit from behind, but that's no more than what Pittsburgh got. They got a few waived off icings as well, interference calls and ticky tack hooking calls, not even to mention the gift calls on Simmonds. Pittsburgh almost played their best game and they got beat.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This team definitely has it's Jekyll and Hyde moments, from the 10 game streaks to games one and two. I guess it could be argued that consistency is Hakstol's problem, but after last night's game I don't know what to think anymore.

In an attempt to be objective, consider the Penguins' coaching history.

Therrien takes over for a dismal Olczyk and immediately turns the team around (mostly on the backs of the new blood) but still puts the team into the cup final in two years. Team tunes him out and he is replaced with Bylsma who wins the cup. Over the next few years, Bylsma coached a team devastaed by injuries to very good regular season results and fairly good post season results. The team personnel that Bylsma had when he got fired is no where near the talent level that Sullivan has currently. The influx of young talent that makes regular contributions and the Kessel trade, elevated that team substantially. Is Sullivan really that much of a better coach than Bylsma? Last night Bylsma looked no where near his regular confident self, even with the favorable officiating. Sure, we got a few waived off icings and maybe got away with one on Provorov's hit from behind, but that's no more than what Pittsburgh got. They got a few waived off icings as well, interference calls and ticky tack hooking calls, not even to mention the gift calls on Simmonds. Pittsburgh almost played their best game and they got beat.

Bylsma was a terrible coach. He was floated by Crosby and Malkin.

He was a coach who had the likes of Malkin, Crosby, and Letang, and tried to play a grinding game. If Bylsma had the current roster the Pens wouldn't be playing like they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad