Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs Oilers - Who Cares That We Won? We Only Scored 3 Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug*

Nov 27, 2011
Archbald, PA
+ it's very clear from tonight's game that the Pens and Oilers were seeing first-hand what a Yakupov/Engelland swap would mean for each team...

:sarcasm:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
+Dupuis. I know I'm just repeating myself over and over, but his work on a line with Sid has been, frankly, great this season. Stick lifts to keep possession, chasing pucks down, finding Sid blindfolded, going to the net, finishing checks, extending cycles, putting pucks on net. People obsessing about giving his job to someone else need to check their calendars. This isn't the same guy we acquired from Atlanta any more.

We obviously have not been watching the same Dupuis this season. Tonight was the first decent game that he's had all year.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Weird game. Reminded me of the Tampa game. Tons of skill out there and I couldn't find any structure.

But hey... Sid is freaking amazing to watch. That game was well worth any fan's time. I was glad to see EDM respond every time we took a lead and looked to be dominating. They responded well but just couldn't get over that hump.

A few of us were wondering about that. Thought I saw a little 1-3-1 in the third maybe, but I honestly can't tell what we've been doing since Carolina. Looked like a bit of the 1-2-2 from the trip there maybe?

Also, is it me, or did we go back the the stretch pass as primary breakout instead of breakout option. First three games, looked like the defensemen had breakout options and we really mixed it up. Today, it seemed like Edmonton was inviting the stretch.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Z is a guy that i'd love to see stay. He gives us a spark. Same thing Vitale does. Those 2 together w/ Adams would be a fun watch. As soon as Sid was hit, he went over and made himself known to the other team. I thought that was enjoyable to watch.

And how Vitale ever sits is beyond me. He's good with puck possession and seems to always draw us a penalty.

Stunning was the first word that popped into my mind :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Except he took away developmental time from players that actually have a future with this team. Now here we are a season later and those guys are still just as far away from becoming experienced NHL'ers as they were then. All while being yanked around in and out of the lineup and being sent down and recalled, as well as being held to a different set of standards than the rest of the team. This is verified by just about every player that we lost recently saying as much.

I can already hear the complaining now. "We can't play Despres/Bortuzzo/Maatta/Dumoulin in the playoffs because he doesn't have enough experience!!! We need to trade for a veteran defenseman!!!!!" Rinse and repeat. Same goes for July 1st. It happens every year like clockwork.

The past is prologue for the Shero/Bylsma Pens.

And LOL at anyone not seeing THIS as a big negative from the Eaton signing.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
- The refs taking so damn long to blow the whistle after Fleury's mask came off. My neighbors heard me I was yelling so loud.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Josh YoheVerified account
‏@JoshYohe_Trib
Currently, Sidney Crosby has 12 points and the Buffalo Sabres have 9 goals. In fairness, Buffalo has played two more games than Crosby.

https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/390286086703833088

+/- isn't really my thing, but no one else started the thread. Continue.

Crosby dominating again, ho hum, what else is new.

But that said, I am starting to wonder if the media will ever give Crosby another Hart. He pretty much has been a man among boys for some time now but always gets the short end of the voting. Yes, there have been some injuries, but there also have been years like last year where the nearest competitor needed over a month to catch up to him.

I am seriously doubting the media ever gives Crosby another Hart unless he wins the scoring race by something like 50 points.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Crosby dominating again, ho hum, what else is new.

But that said, I am starting to wonder if the media will ever give Crosby another Hart. He pretty much has been a man among boys for some time now but always gets the short end of the voting. Yes, there have been some injuries, but there also have been years like last year where the nearest competitor needed over a month to catch up to him.

I am seriously doubting the media ever gives Crosby another Hart unless he wins the scoring race by something like 50 points.

Even though he has a point on 7 of our last 8 goals, we have a good team, so how could he possibly be valuable? :laugh:

He really is so much fun to watch right now though. He's just playing incredible hockey.

I've always believed that the one person on the team that helps him out the most offensively is Letang. I can't wait to see what he can do (and what the team in general can do) when/if we get our healthy roster back.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
- The refs taking so damn long to blow the whistle after Fleury's mask came off. My neighbors heard me I was yelling so loud.

Incompetence became dangerous, it was ridiculous.

Team stats, the Pens have score 23 goals and Crosby has been involved in 12 of them. Not important, though.
Crosby is a treat to watch like this.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Incompetence became dangerous, it was ridiculous.

Team stats, the Pens have score 23 goals and Crosby has been involved in 12 of them. Not important, though.
Crosby is a treat to watch like this.

Yes and no.

A treat in his own right? Absolutely.

Still, I cannot help but to wonder if it will be this easy against a top defensive team in the playoffs. Not sure why . . . :cry:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yes and no.

A treat in his own right? Absolutely.

Still, I cannot help but to wonder if it will be this easy against a top defensive team in the playoffs. Not sure why . . . :cry:

I can ignore that for now... You ruined my carefully constructed bubble of denial. I was having a good moment, you *******. :cry:

But yeah, a treat in his own right ignoring what it would be like with the right wingers and without Bylma trying to do whatever the hell it is he tries to do.

Ruiner of things. :p:

If I wanted to be really fair and kind to Bylsma. We haven't seen this Crosby, right before the concussion saga level, in the playoffs against a top defense. He was out, he had only recently come back, and it was broken jaw Crosby and who knows just how much of a physical (and mental) toll that took. He looked gaunt and sickly by the end. Also last season I don't think he was quite back to where he was, and now I think he might be. 99% chance of the same result, but just to be fair.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
+ Crosby. It's the little things. Favourite move of tonight was the puck to skate to stick right before the second goal.

+ Hockey gods. Martin whiffs a one-timer right into the stick of Malkin who is then able to get the game winning goal which is also his first goal against the Oilers (completing his goal against every team card... does he get a free coffee for this?) This is also poetic because the second Oiler goal was kind of on Malkin.

Side note: although the Oilers are on a bit of a losing streak they are fun to watch and are only a few good D-men from becoming really dangerous.

Last edited:

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
Crosby GP G A P
October 73 36 63 99
November 83 55 69 124
December 82 38 75 113
January 72 37 59 96
February 49 21 47 68
March 88 37 83 120
April 28 19 35 54

Why do people say he is a slow starter?

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
We obviously have not been watching the same Dupuis this season. Tonight was the first decent game that he's had all year.
+... I thought he was really good in game one too. I think so many people are down on Dupuis because he set a new standard for himself last year. Those are some pretty lofty expectations and I wouldn't hold him to that out put. IMO he's a nice third wheel for Sid if that second wheel is better.

-... Chris Kunitz played like a friggin moron last night. Great player but he has to know his role on the team. I can remember twice last night that he gave the puck away because he was trying to pass the puck though his legs. I understand that its EDM but its a one goal game.

+... I'm not a Sutter fan at all but I thought he had his best game since that 2 goal game against the B's last year. He put some quality shots on net and seemed interested in getting out of his comfort zone.

-... Why does Malkin always seem like he's the F3?

+... Its good to hear Errey talk about JJ's ability to get open. He always gives that left defensemen an easy out and makes these sneaky tic tac plays that I love. He's like a more well rounded Sykora.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dupuis' new contract is paying him to be the player we had the last two years. The expectation is that he can maintain something similar to that. That said, I was happy with his last two games for the most part. Right now it is Kunitz hurting that line, not Dupuis. Dupuis is being Dupuis. Kunitz is not being the Kunitz that we need.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

It's unbelievable, I don't think I've seen this with any other goalie. Remember last season when Fleury's mask came off against the Capitals? There wasn't even a whistle, Fleury lost his mask, it was off for a few seconds, the Caps scored and the goal counted. Now last night they delay blowing the whistle when losing his mask, every other game where I see a goalie lose his mask the whistle is blown right away.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dupuis' new contract is paying him to be the player we had the last two years. The expectation is that he can maintain something similar to that. That said, I was happy with his last two games for the most part. Right now it is Kunitz hurting that line, not Dupuis. Dupuis is being Dupuis. Kunitz is not being the Kunitz that we need.

It's very early yet, he's still producing at a PPG pace, and he has always rounded into form.

Kunitz is the last of my worries. The guy is like clockwork.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Crosby GP G A P
October 73 36 63 99
November 83 55 69 124
December 82 38 75 113
January 72 37 59 96
February 49 21 47 68
March 88 37 83 120
April 28 19 35 54

Why do people say he is a slow starter?

Would be interesting to see Sid´s stats for the first half of October. Usually it takes about 5-7 games for him to really start to produce.

Now, for the first time in ages he has been amazing right from the start. 12 points in 6 games.. we could see a very, very special season from Sid. I want to believe that his freak injuries are all in the past, and for the next 4-5 years it will be pure domination (in regular season at least).

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I saw us playing the 1-3-1 A LOT, especially in the second it seemed. Orpik, Engellend and Nisky can't seem to get it right. Especially the first two, they were mispositioned all game long.

Maatta was perfection positioning; he was getting shifts with Martin because he understands the system. Martin played best when paired with Maatta.

Orpik and Engellend kill people but their positioning is AWFUL. Absolutely dreadful.

Big minus to Geno; with that type of talent and that type of effort. Ovechkin-like. Truly terrible.

I cannot imagine Crosby with skilled wingers. It just wouldn't be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad