Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs Oilers - Who Cares That We Won? We Only Scored 3 Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
Everyone keeps talking about Bortuzzo, Despres, Maata. What about Dumoulin? A full season in the AHL under his belt with playoff experience there and seems at the very least physically ready for the pros. I'd like to see what we have there in terms of what he can bring at the NHL level. I also think that's one of the reasons Maata just cant stick.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The third line is pretty terrible to watch most games, Sutter being quiet on the ice because he's doing a solid job defensively is no excuse either. The 4th line is playing the way the 3rd line should. Maybe it's a matter of finding the right wingers for Sutter, D'Agostini could help form a decent duo with Sutter, but then who goes on that LW? Jeffrey? Kobasew? Etc.

I don't know if I can trick myself into thinking Shero got a player back that fits this team's system in Sutter, any longer. He's cheap, young, and could still rebound though. It's also not even 10 games in, he could go on a few hot streaks and we'd be laughing about the "remember the time Sutter sucked and we were like what is up with him?" posts.

I think Sutter is the problem in the third line, changing a winger won't fix that. It's also not just 6 games, he struggled in the playoffs and never bounced back, that's what's really worrying, imo. Sutter is just lacking, lacking in size, grit, tenacity, strength, etc.

The wingers for Sutter are the ones who would essentially do his job better than him, that's why Dupuis would really help him. Kobasew - Sutter - Dupuis would work because Sutter gets covered for in his weak areas.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Oiler fan here.

Most of us would kill for a semblence of goaltending. Fleury played great.

And some of us would prefer a coach like Bylsma over what we've had for the past few years.

See you guys again soon.

Thanks for stopping by.
I've been impressed with Fleury so far.
Your Oil took it to us in the second and Fleury kept us in it.

I actually think Eakins will do well with you guys. He's very Bylsma'esque in terms of always bringing a positive attitude to the rink. Just have to give it time to get his systems in place.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for stopping by.
I've been impressed with Fleury so far.
Your Oil took it to us in the second and Fleury kept us in it.

I actually think Eakins will do well with you guys. He's very Bylsma'esque in terms of always bringing a positive attitude to the rink. Just have to give it time to get his systems in place.

I think we'll be fine, but we have to start winning soon.

We'd be at the very least .500 if we got even average goaltending. That has to frustrate the team.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Everyone keeps talking about Bortuzzo, Despres, Maata. What about Dumoulin? A full season in the AHL under his belt with playoff experience there and seems at the very least physically ready for the pros. I'd like to see what we have there in terms of what he can bring at the NHL level. I also think that's one of the reasons Maata just cant stick.

It's certainly a possibility that Maata goes back, no matter how good he's looked.

Letang
Scuderi
Orpik
Martin
Niskanen
Bortuzzo
Engelland
Despres
Dumolin
Mikkelson

Thats servicable NHL depth right there.
The only real sore spots for me being, Engelland still on the roster and the amount of money Niskanen makes.

Maata, right now, makes this team better defensively though. Could the above list get the job done if Maata is sent back to London? It's possible.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh

Dumoulin definitely needs more love. He's just such a smart, poised player.

Penguinzilla*

+ Mostly everyone played pretty well. Sid does things every game that no one else does, and he makes it look easy. I love him.
- Sutter - He needs to do SOMETHING. He always plays like he smoked a huge bong before the game.
- Jokinen - He seems a lot more uptight than he was in preseason and last season. He's gotta relax and "get to his game".

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
+Crosby
+Fleury
+Maatta

+/- Malkin

+ The Flyers board being more concerned with the penalty on Crosby, than their team being 1-6.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
- - - Bylsma for implementing Engo into the lineup the last 2 games. It's no coincidence that Maatta is a -3 these last games. I can't count the number of times he's had to try to fix Engo's defensive mishaps. It's just stupid coaching to remove a player from the lineup that has been playing the best hockey of his career while showing a massive amount of chemistry with a 19 year old rookie. Just to keep Engo "fresh"? Practicing against the 2 best players everyday should keep him fresh enough for when he's actually needed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
- Jokinen - He seems a lot more uptight than he was in preseason and last season. He's gotta relax and "get to his game".

That makes sense, tbh. He's in a higher pressure situation, top 6 role and all that. From the preseason, he's gone from slotting into an established line to one that isn't established and that is on it's 3rd RW so far; Malkin isn't playing well right now for whatever reason. These injuries have really screwed everything up.

Hell, maybe he's worried that he's next... it's not unlikely.

+ Flyers lost

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I saw a little 1-3-1 in the third but mostly 1-2-2 since the Carolina game. Maybe someone else watching more closely can attest.

And, the breakouts . . . so much for those Jacques Martin breakouts. The stretch has gone, again, from being part of what they do to what they do.
Interesting.
If no one chimes in maybe I'll try to get some discussion going in the system thread.

I'm not sure why they changed up what they were doing. Given, the opposition in the early games wasn't great, but it seems like a long time since we've looked that fundamentally sound.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
- - - Bylsma for implementing Engo into the lineup the last 2 games. It's no coincidence that Maatta is a -3 these last games. I can't count the number of times he's had to try to fix Engo's defensive mishaps. It's just stupid coaching to remove a player from the lineup that has been playing the best hockey of his career while showing a massive amount of chemistry with a 19 year old rookie. Just to keep Engo "fresh"? Practicing against the 2 best players everyday should keep him fresh enough for when he's actually needed.

Maybe they're showcasing Engy?

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
+ we won!

- Bylsma going to his boys at the expense of youth and talent. It seriously is affecting my enjoyment of these games sometimes. I hate saying that, but it's true.

I swear if they keep Maatta with Engo, and then send him back down saying he's slipped up. I might have to take a month or so off from hockey.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
"Showcasing" a 6/7 defenseman isn't going to significantly increase his trade value (in fact, he's probably hurting his trade value with his play). There really is no logical reason to scratch Bortz. I'm an Engo fan, but it's incredibly annoying to watch a young player playing great hockey and paid his dues sit in the press box just for the sake of playing a vet.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Interesting.
If no one chimes in maybe I'll try to get some discussion going in the system thread.

I'm not sure why they changed up what they were doing. Given, the opposition in the early games wasn't great, but it seems like a long time since we've looked that fundamentally sound.

I think it's a problem I commonly associate with Bylsma, he got comfortable and reverted back to his way of dong things, his norm. They're not playing well, but talent has won them 2/3 games so it's all working. If they did go back to the good way, I'd be curious to know when. They only allowed 3 shots in the third period after 15 in the second and 4 in the first.

I'd say they had different approaches for more offensively geared teams, but :laugh:.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+We won. I think some people are forgetting this judging by the pessimism in this forum recently. I know it's against the Oilers and I know we all hate DB's coaching madness but I guarantee you 3/4 of the league would LOVE to have the problems we have. We can't fast forward to the playoffs so just enjoy the W's as they come; this is a fun hockey team.[/ement witQUOTE]
see this where we disagree, what was fun about this game, there was back and forth meaningless puck movement un between two blue lines, a bunch of below average players with terrible puck handling no hits, no forechecking no great shots on goal,
just curios what was fun about this game?
when our best line has adams and glass on respective wings that is not fun hockey

I'd like to tell you how absurd it is that Gladams would be the most consistent winger tandem on the team so far this year. I'd like to.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You're paying a guy 2.5 on the D because he can be elevated into the top 4 when they have injuries and do well. This is not an if with this team, injuries.

You all do remember paying Hal Gill 2.5 on the bottom pairing.

Back when Sid (one year only), Geno, Staal, and Letang were on rookie deals, sure. How about now? 2.5M for a bottom six defenseman of Chuck Kobasew in your top six if two wingers go out (and Jussi Jokinen there by choice). Not to mention Sid's issues.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Nobody has forgotten Dumoulin. Including Borts, Pens have four young players who can (and should) be playing in the NHL now. Absent a trade, only one will be when Letang returns.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love watching Oilers games. They aren't good defensively or goaltending wise, but man, when you get them in a run and gun game...it's a treat. They get a handle on a goaltender and a top 4 defenseman or two, they are going to cause hell.

Our defensive zone protection is just piss poor at the moment, and it's moments like these where you need a Crankshaft. Not one single Penguins defenseman clears a crease. Not a 1. That play where Martin lost his stick and sat there turning round and round without so much as pushing a man was hilarious to me. Fleury was actually clearing his own crease.

Jeff Petry had a great game for the Oilers. Don't know why I'm bothering to mention that, but it was just something I noticed.

Maatta was probably one of their best defensemen and I'm leaning away from sending him back to London with each passing game. Jumped into the rush a ton too.

Engelland wasn't very good and needs to sit.

The defensive zone coverage was not good. There's a fine line between collapsing in front of your goalie and trying to play goal yourself. Malkin in particular needs to just take a man and let Fleury stop the puck. But even Orpik and Scuderi weren't taking their man out.

Totally agree with Petry. Real solid game by him.

Also agree with Maatta. He made two very noticeable plays tonight for me - one was his defensive play on Hemsky as Hemsky was trying to speed rush around him. Another was how he hopped into the play and took a one timer that just missed. He's engaged in every facet of the game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I love watching Oilers games. They aren't good defensively or goaltending wise, but man, when you get them in a run and gun game...it's a treat. They get a handle on a goaltender and a top 4 defenseman or two, they are going to cause hell.

Totally agree with Petry. Real solid game by him.

Also agree with Maatta. He made two very noticeable plays tonight for me - one was his defensive play on Hemsky as Hemsky was trying to speed rush around him. Another was how he hopped into the play and took a one timer that just missed. He's engaged in every facet of the game.

The long stick to disrupt the hard one time pass for Eberle stood out for me. It was open, and I wouldn't have been stunned to see Eberle convert. You can't teach that anticipation.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Zolnierczyk reminds me of that All State Mayhem Man that constantly gets in accidents in those commercials.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Weird game. Reminded me of the Tampa game. Tons of skill out there and I couldn't find any structure.

But hey... Sid is freaking amazing to watch. That game was well worth any fan's time. I was glad to see EDM respond every time we took a lead and looked to be dominating. They responded well but just couldn't get over that hump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad