Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs Oilers - Who Cares That We Won? We Only Scored 3 Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Z is a guy that i'd love to see stay. He gives us a spark. Same thing Vitale does. Those 2 together w/ Adams would be a fun watch. As soon as Sid was hit, he went over and made himself known to the other team. I thought that was enjoyable to watch.

And how Vitale ever sits is beyond me. He's good with puck possession and seems to always draw us a penalty.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
- - - Bylsma for implementing Engo into the lineup the last 2 games. It's no coincidence that Maatta is a -3 these last games. I can't count the number of times he's had to try to fix Engo's defensive mishaps. It's just stupid coaching to remove a player from the lineup that has been playing the best hockey of his career while showing a massive amount of chemistry with a 19 year old rookie. Just to keep Engo "fresh"? Practicing against the 2 best players everyday should keep him fresh enough for when he's actually needed.

I said it before and I'll say it again. You can't just have guys sitting forever on the bench. You can't just have healthy scratches for 80 games and that's it. You've got to get healthy guys in the lineup sometime, and is this not a perfect time? The player would be pissed, and probably a few guys on their team would be pissed too. At the very least, Engo is not a far drop from Bort.

No way. Eaton was essential to this team's "success" last year.

Seriously, what does this even mean? Eaton was solid last year. What are you trying to say?

Edit: Thirded on Petry. He totally took care of Malkin at ES. On the other hand, I didn't even realize who Edmonton sent out against Sid half the time... OTOH, it didn't really matter.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Mark Eaton played pretty well. The things that caused them problems and ultimately brought the team down had nothing to do with his performance, good or bad, anyway. Using him as a symbol of some problem is nonsense.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Z is a guy that i'd love to see stay. He gives us a spark. Same thing Vitale does. Those 2 together w/ Adams would be a fun watch. As soon as Sid was hit, he went over and made himself known to the other team. I thought that was enjoyable to watch.

And how Vitale ever sits is beyond me. He's good with puck possession and seems to always draw us a penalty.

It's enjoyable as long as his gloves stay on, it's not pretty after that.

I was chuckling a little watching him tonight, he made a point of making contact with everyone in his vicinity, whether it had anything to do with the play or not.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Zolnierczyk reminds me of that All State Mayhem Man that constantly gets in accidents in those commercials.
Tonight's gem.

iRkErEHySlPWa.GIF

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
It's enjoyable as long as his gloves stay on, it's not pretty after that.

I was chuckling a little watching him tonight, he made a point of making contact with everyone in his vicinity, whether it had anything to do with the play or not.
I laughed out loud when he wiped out and kicked his legs up.

Looking at the GIF, I think he was trying to do a Flying Skate Stab on that Oiler.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I laughed out loud when he wiped out and kicked his legs up.

Looking at the GIF, I think he was trying to do a Flying Skate Stab on that Oiler.

That, and in the third the when he stopped mid-stride to shove someone for no reason.

I remember Flyers fans saying that agitation wasn't really his game and that he started playing that way to distance himself from other NHL/AHL tweener type guys. I think there's a grain of truth to that, he doesn't really know what he's doing so he just goes after everyone all of the time. :laugh:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Seriously, what does this even mean? Eaton was solid last year. What are you trying to say?

Sarcasim?

Eaton was a complete waste last year and was quickly scratched in the POs once his lack of speed got exploited. The only thing he did was take much needed playing time from Des and Bort. Terrible move by Shero.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
That, and in the third the when he stopped mid-stride to shove someone for no reason.

I remember Flyers fans saying that agitation wasn't really his game and that he started playing that way to distance himself from other NHL/AHL tweener type guys. I think there's a grain of truth to that, he doesn't really know what he's doing so he just goes after everyone all of the time. :laugh:

Yeah, I think that's definitely the case. He's entertaining to watch but I think Bobby Farnham might actually be a more fundamentally sound hockey player. :laugh:

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Mark Eaton played pretty well. The things that caused them problems and ultimately brought the team down had nothing to do with his performance, good or bad, anyway. Using him as a symbol of some problem is nonsense.

Except he took away developmental time from players that actually have a future with this team. Now here we are a season later and those guys are still just as far away from becoming experienced NHL'ers as they were then. All while being yanked around in and out of the lineup and being sent down and recalled, as well as being held to a different set of standards than the rest of the team. This is verified by just about every player that we lost recently saying as much.

I can already hear the complaining now. "We can't play Despres/Bortuzzo/Maatta/Dumoulin in the playoffs because he doesn't have enough experience!!! We need to trade for a veteran defenseman!!!!!" Rinse and repeat. Same goes for July 1st. It happens every year like clockwork.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I think that's definitely the case. He's entertaining to watch but I think Bobby Farnham might actually be a more fundamentally sound hockey player. :laugh:

Bobby Farnham puts the fun in fundamental, or maybe he puts the mental in fundamental, I forget.

If Zolnierczyk is in the line up against Philly, we might get a main board thread out of it. I'm sure he'll do something awkward and borderline dangerous.

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ MAF. Really good game by him.
+ Sid.
+ Määttä.
+ Scuds.

- Engelland. He needs to sit.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
- The Pens seemed to completely lose their composure when they perceived a call to go against them at the end of the first. It seemingly completely removed them from 'getting to their game' or any game at all except acting like pouty morons for much of the second period. It is a story we have seen before.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
- The Pens seemed to completely lose their composure when they perceived a call to go against them at the end of the first. It completely removed them from 'getting to their game' or any game at all except acting like pouty morons for much of the second period. It is a story we have seen before.

Well we still have the same management group responsible for getting the players to not react that way so I'm not surprised its the same story.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
+Scuderi. Just because I always forget to give him a plus. This guy is a black hole into which cross ice passes and shots on net disappear. So glad that he's back

+Fleury. This was one of his better games in years. Just so sharp tonight.

+Kobasew. I like guys who know their limitations and play right at them. Great KISS game by this guy.

+Dupuis. I know I'm just repeating myself over and over, but his work on a line with Sid has been, frankly, great this season. Stick lifts to keep possession, chasing pucks down, finding Sid blindfolded, going to the net, finishing checks, extending cycles, putting pucks on net. People obsessing about giving his job to someone else need to check their calendars. This isn't the same guy we acquired from Atlanta any more.

-Kunitz. I don't know if I saw more turnovers or sucker passes from this guy tonight. If Niskanen were an inch less aware of where an Oiler was, he'd be in the morgue right now, instead of pouring rum into a shot glass for his Dan Bylsma Voodoo figurine.

-Zolagobob-Don't like his game. Didn't like it tonight. Really stupid player. Doesn't know where anyone else is or what he's supposed to be trying to accomplish at any given time.

-struggling with speed. Come on coaches. At some point you're going to have to come up with a way to deal with this.

-Dan O'Halloran. I swear this guy is blind and deaf. Flower loses his mask and he lets the play continue. I know people were yelling to let him know during the play because they all flipped out about how long he was waiting when he finally did. Then the net comes off the moorings and he lets play continue for another minute, oblivious to Fleury banging his stick on the ice loudly enough that I could hear it clearly on the broadcast. Malkin also got tripped from behind away from the play 5 feet from where O'HellenKeller was standing.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

I endorse this message.

Also, without Z, there is no one left on this roster to make a guy like Hartnell lose his mind. He'd probably just wonder off and suck on Letang's finger again.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Bobby Farnham puts the fun in fundamental, or maybe he puts the mental in fundamental, I forget.

If Zolnierczyk is in the line up against Philly, we might get a main board thread out of it. I'm sure he'll do something awkward and borderline dangerous.

Bobby Farnham puts the key in hockey. I swear, they better call him up if this team swoons because it'll be like a fist of clean, nuclear-generated power to the face. (Though not literally because Farnham can't coordinate his fists too well.)

Oh, man, my biggest fear with Zolnierczyk is that'll he'll do something overly Flyers-ish while wearing a Penguins uniform. Especially if it happens against the Flyers. What will I do with the moral highground then?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Oh, man, my biggest fear with Zolnierczyk is that'll he'll do something overly Flyers-ish while wearing a Penguins uniform. Especially if it happens against the Flyers. What will I do with the moral highground then?

Zolnierczyk's behaviour should be fairly easy to correct, especially if the people that say he's deliberately trying to be that player and isn't very good at it are right.

You change the moral highground, that's what you do; just slightly. Or distract, "How about Giroux's Captaincy and production?" "Is he a steal at his salary?" #BestPlayerInTheWorld #StillFunny #ThereWasABaton

+ Reading the histrionics about Crosby "diving," so funny. How about Ferrence keeps his stick down in the 3rd period of a tied game? No one mentioned that. :(
- The good from the first 3 games seems to largely be gone.

schommer75

Oct 2, 2010
Can anyone make a gif of MAF waving his stick and pushing the net around while the refs were not paying attention? Or even just footage so I can show people

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad