Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs Oilers - Who Cares That We Won? We Only Scored 3 Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
With Neal and Bennett out, nothing can be done. BUT, I'd prefer a guy like Jeffrey or even Vitale to get a few looks.

I don't know how Kobasew managed to stay on that line the whole game, but when Bennett makes a tiny meaningless mistake it's demotion time.

There has got to be something wrong with Malkin. He's being incredibly passive and looks generally disinterested sometimes. His drive-by's with one hand on the stick when the puck is on the boards is becoming a habit with him.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Still confused on how Vitale ever finds himself a healthy scratch. Ever game he plays in he makes an impact.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Decent game, glad we won. Not happy with our lack of killer instinct, couldnt bury the Oilers especially in the first. Glad to see Geno get a PP goal finally, but his line definitely sucks right now even strength. Fleury was solid again which is also nice to see.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Enough with the Engelland experiment! AMIRITE?

Where the $%&*^ is Bortz? Why is he scratched?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
- Kyprios for making me angry we may lose Botterill to Buffalo.

If we lose him, then I hope it's BEFORE any negotiations start with Orpik. Botterill is the cap guru. Better not to have him around the give Ray a creative way to resign Orpik.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jeff Petry had a great game for the Oilers. Don't know why I'm bothering to mention that, but it was just something I noticed.

Maatta was probably one of their best defensemen and I'm leaning away from sending him back to London with each passing game. Jumped into the rush a ton too.

Engelland wasn't very good and needs to sit.

The defensive zone coverage was not good. There's a fine line between collapsing in front of your goalie and trying to play goal yourself. Malkin in particular needs to just take a man and let Fleury stop the puck. But even Orpik and Scuderi weren't taking their man out.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
From the other thread

Me too. Now, after the first three, I was ecstatic. Apparently, Jacques Martin's three game stint is over. Defensive structure is gone. Stretch or death is back.
I was just thinking how much different this team looks since the Carolina game.

Also I don't even recall seeing the 1-3-1 since then either. Maybe I just haven't noticed it, maybe they reverted to mostly the 1-2-2 or lwl. Either way teams are getting through the NZ much more easily.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Was up at 420 am to make a 620 flight from New Mexico. Lucky I can type at all.

That's my every day schedule. Minus the flight part.

+ We won. Sid 3 points. Dupuis looked better.
- Kunitz really didn't.

penguins2946*

+Oilers fans are crying about the Crosby call. It's hilarious.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If we lose him, then I hope it's BEFORE any negotiations start with Orpik. Botterill is the cap guru. Better not to have him around the give Ray a creative way to resign Orpik.

Just.Let.Him.Go.!.!.!

Watching that intermission report...the two candidates named both are members of the Penguins organization...and you damn well know it's gonna happen with Ken Sawyer there.

Botterill the new GM, Fitz the new coach.:laugh:

Always going to happen when you have a good organization. You don't see any one lining up for Oiler staff.

True, but atleast let us keep Botterill for our cap. I don't wanna see how bad Shero will be, or a new cap guy here.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I don't know how Kobasew managed to stay on that line the whole game, but when Bennett makes a tiny meaningless mistake it's demotion time.

There has got to be something wrong with Malkin. He's being incredibly passive and looks generally disinterested sometimes. His drive-by's with one hand on the stick when the puck is on the boards is becoming a habit with him.

Maybe he's just tired of Bylsma's **** :laugh: Or the constantly changing linemates.

This team ... is anyone else old enough to remember that old Saturday cartoon 'Thundar the Barbarian'? The villain was this dude Gemini, and he had this helmet deal that rotated, so he had like two faces, literally ... this team reminds me of that. Some days you get the team that started the season playing defense, supporting the puck, etc. and then it's like someone flips a switch and they're playing run and gun again.

Can't say we deserved this one. Then again, it sure seemed like the refs were tilting things in the Oiler's favor there for a while, too. Some very lame penalties and missed calls.

Well, it's two points, anyway.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'll state what you were trying to address, Edmonton is a very young and fast team with a lot of talent up front. Played quite well for back to back's.

I'm sticking to my promiss of no minuses in wins.

#1 in my book is, Fleury. He should have been the #1 star.+++
Sid, he's just being, Sid.++
Niskanen, he and Scuderi were pretty reliable.++
Orpik and Martin, Ditto.++
Kunitz and Dupuis are ++'s as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad