Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs Oilers - Who Cares That We Won? We Only Scored 3 Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
All that being said, Bort should be out there against the faster teams, and Engo against the slower, less skilled teams. I don't mind seeing Engo against Philly, but against Edmonton? Just plain bad. I think they flat out took Engo off the ice in the third, as he was on for both goals against wasn't he?

Maatta looked way better with Scuderi and Martin. Hopefully that's a preview of next year.

Engo had 4 shifts in the 3rd, one of which was over a minute long. I fully expect he'll be scratched for the Philly game.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bortuzzo shouldn't be sitting at all. Hey, I like Engelland but this is Bortuzzo's time (finally). Why is he sitting (again)? Makes no sense.

The Maatta-Bortuzzo pairing was money. Why screw around with it?

Because Bylsma has to "fix" things that aren't broken and staunchly ignore things that are.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I thought the pens played ok last night. Second period was brutal but the oilers have talent and you can't expect to keep them down all night. Pens will start looking better when Letang gets back, they've always looked so disjointed when he's out of the lineup.

Yeah, I don't get all the *****ing about last night. There is actually another team on the ice who's also trying to win.

Take away the second period last night, and the Pens have allowed a total of 9 shots in the last 3 periods.

I get the Bylsma frustration, and the OVERhype of how supremely talented our team is (hint: they aren't), but let's calm the **** down a bit.

And Nisky is actually playing pretty good hockey FYI. I get that people want to drop his salary, but let's not make **** up at the same time in order to control the narrative.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I don't get all the *****ing about last night. There is actually another team on the ice who's also trying to win.

Take away the second period last night, and the Pens have allowed a total of 9 shots in the last 3 periods.

I get the Bylsma frustration, and the OVERhype of how supremely talented our team is (hint: they aren't), but let's calm the **** down a bit.

And Nisky is actually playing pretty good hockey FYI. I get that people want to drop his salary, but let's not make **** up at the same time in order to control the narrative.

I think he's been fine since Game 1, no doubt. But why do you suppose that is? Me thinks it's because he's not being forced to play the left side, where he is consistently mediocre for my money. He's also playing next to Scuderi, who makes every single D-man he's ever played with look better than they are (except maybe Josef Melichar, hehehe).

I suspect when Letang returns we'll lose the 'good Niskanen' for a while. Our other options are moving Martin back to the left side, where he has struggled in the past, or sit BOTH Bortuzzo and Engelland in favor or Maatta-Niskanen on the third pairing.

The way I see it, a right defenseman needs to go when Letang returns, not a left defenseman.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think he's been fine since Game 1, no doubt. But why do you suppose that is? Me thinks it's because he's not being forced to play the left side, where he is consistently mediocre for my money. He's also playing next to Scuderi, who makes every single D-man he's ever played with look better than they are (except maybe Josef Melichar, hehehe).

I suspect when Letang returns we'll lose the 'good Niskanen' for a while. Our other options are moving Martin back to the left side, where he has struggled in the past, or sit BOTH Bortuzzo and Engelland in favor or Maatta-Niskanen on the third pairing.

The way I see it, a right defenseman needs to go when Letang returns, not a left defenseman.

I understand that maybe he has a bit to do with Nisky's play, but I can't remember any glaring circumstance where I said to myself "Man, good thing Scuds bailed him out there"

Nisky's getting a minus after every game, which makes it hard for me to take these threads seriously.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

As far as trading Niskanen, this is probably as good as he's ever going to look. Increased minutes, Scuderi playing with him and being on the 1st PP.

Scuderi - Letang
Martin - Orpik
Bortuzzo - Maatta

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
As far as trading Niskanen, this is probably as good as he's ever going to look. Increased minutes, Scuderi playing with him and being on the 1st PP.

Scuderi - Letang
Martin - Orpik
Bortuzzo - Maatta

All I know is that pairing should never be broken up with the way they are playing. Absolutely dominant out there and our best pairing so far (arguably on the level of Bortz/Maatta).

Nisky has pulled a PaulMart

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Has there been a game this season where Steigy hasn't mentioned the 80's Oilers and their 4-on-4 play? He did it a ton last season and at least a few games this season. It's completely insane how much/often he brings it up. I just assume most of what he says is subtle trolling and completely dismiss it but this has been irking me like crazy.

It's speeding up my descent into madness.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Tonight's gem.

iRkErEHySlPWa.GIF

He went for a simple dump in and shot the puck into the bench instead too.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
He went for a simple dump in and shot the puck into the bench instead too.

:laugh: Yeah, I saw that. He also fell and crashed into the boards getting in on the forecheck once during this game. He did manage to knock the puck away from the D-Man on the play though.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If I were him I would have skated it down the ice like the ref pushed Stamkos, and run it right into the ref and said 'can you see me now you blind son of a *****?'

Speaking of blind refs ...
184713926_slide.jpg

Looking right at him, still doesn't blow the play dead ...

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Trade Engo and Nisky. Play Maatta, Despres, and Borts as a three man platoon. If everyone stays healthy in the top four (which won't happen), they still get a minimum of 50 or so games each. Nice way to get each guy good game action AND monitor Maatta to make sure he isn't overworked.

This is WAY too smart to actually happen.

Malkin112*

Sad to see, but looks like Malkin is taking back seat once again. Of course DB is treating him like second class player again and that is not helping one bit. DB should know at this point how to keep him happy, if not Malkin's contract is going to bite them in the ass at some point.

When Neal is coming back 2-line needs Kunitz type of player not slow and soft skill player like Jokinen. He shouldn't be nowhere near top-6 in contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad