Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs Oilers - Who Cares That We Won? We Only Scored 3 Goals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
Crosby through 6 games:

This year: 5G, 7A, 12P, +1
Last year: 3G, 3A, 6P, +1
Not really counting 2011-12, since he came back mid-season after the concussion saga
2010-11: 3G, 3A, 6P, E (he had 2G, 1A in his 6th game)
2009-10: 4G, 1A, 5P, +3

It seemed to take Sid 5-10 games to really get into the swing of things to start a season in the past. He's got a 6 game point streak with 12 pts so far. When Letang comes back, I think his point totals could jump up more. Maybe get a PP point bump from Neal's return... fingers crossed.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Once pens gets some of there injured wingers back i hope they get rid of Jeffrey, hes had a chance to play this year and hes been invisible every game, he has no role on this team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sid, Maatta, Martin, Malkin, dupuis and Koon with +'s from me.

Malkin's line with a big - at even strength. Kobasew is very out of place.

How are Kunitz and Malkin a plus? Kunitz was terrible and has been all season. This happened last season as well so I guess I am just supposed to ignore it (or so I am told). Malkin was meh last night and scored on a mostly open net.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
From Dallas Eakins on the Malkin goal :laugh:

"To have done the job so far and everything's going all right for us and it's a fanned shot and it goes right to the most dangerous guy on the ice, the hockey gods aren't lined up for us right now. We'll do an exorcism and see if they give us more leeway."

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
How are Kunitz and Malkin a plus? Kunitz was terrible and has been all season. This happened last season as well so I guess I am just supposed to ignore it (or so I am told). Malkin was meh last night and scored on a mostly open net.

The line was good and creating chances (in the first two periods at least, not much happened in the third).

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Glad we won, won't say we exactly stole it but we did have times where we got out played. Am I being to negative in saying I'm not sold on the team/season yet because we haven't played anyone yet? The Flyers will be a better test, nevermind their schedule as they still have talented players and its a rivarly game, but when do we have a stretch against some quality teams? I want to see how we stand up against real competition.

Other than that can Engo go away and will Big Bird Bortuzzo be allowed back yet? Did he steal Disco Dans morning donut or something?

And Oilers fans are complaining about the penalty when Ferrances stick hit Sid in the face? Why? How? Ahhh well.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Glad we won, won't say we exactly stole it but we did have times where we got out played. Am I being to negative in saying I'm not sold on the team/season yet because we haven't played anyone yet? The Flyers will be a better test, nevermind their schedule as they still have talented players and its a rivarly game, but when do we have a stretch against some quality teams? I want to see how we stand up against real competition.

Other than that can Engo go away and will Big Bird Bortuzzo be allowed back yet? Did he steal Disco Dans morning donut or something?

And Oilers fans are complaining about the penalty when Ferrances stick hit Sid in the face? Why? How? Ahhh well.

I know its early but Tampa looks like they could be a good team, they beat Chicago earlier in the year and blew out the Kings last night, only 2 losses were to Boston and a last second lose to the pens.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
It was a good game overall, even if the team was a little wild around their own net for the most part. It was inevitable that Edmonton's forwards were going to have a really strong showing sooner or later. The Pens did a good job of containing them and limiting the damage - especially Fleury, who was outstanding.

Nothing was particularly displeasing to me here - Kunitz looked a bit sharper than he has, Sid is continuing to dominate, the defense looks solid overall...the only real minus would be for Malkin's line, who were sort of forced into a lousy situation by injuries anyway. He's not looking quite himself, but at least he scored a nice goal.

I'm not a big fan of Harry Z on any level but he had a nice game in terms of creating chaos. not sure if that's gonna work out as well with teams better than the Oilers, but hey, I'll take it for now. Also Joe Vitale is the best player on the fourth line by a wide margin and he should be in the lineup every day.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Crosby through 6 games:

This year: 5G, 7A, 12P, +1
Last year: 3G, 3A, 6P, +1
Not really counting 2011-12, since he came back mid-season after the concussion saga
2010-11: 3G, 3A, 6P, E (he had 2G, 1A in his 6th game)
2009-10: 4G, 1A, 5P, +3

It seemed to take Sid 5-10 games to really get into the swing of things to start a season in the past. He's got a 6 game point streak with 12 pts so far. When Letang comes back, I think his point totals could jump up more. Maybe get a PP point bump from Neal's return... fingers crossed.

12 points in 6 games even with his linemates being complete useless. They are still getting points because they are playing with Crosby.

Dupuis 2G 4A 6P
Kunitz 2G 4A 6P
Crosby 5G 7A 12P

If they were clicking right now Dupuis and Kunitz would be at 10 points right now.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I thought the pens played ok last night. Second period was brutal but the oilers have talent and you can't expect to keep them down all night. Pens will start looking better when Letang gets back, they've always looked so disjointed when he's out of the lineup.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
How about our coach dressing Engelland and then play 5 D-Men most of the time.......He is brillant!

I don´t know why Bortuzzo is out of the lineup, does he get all the blame for the 6 goals against in Florida?

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
To be fair Engelland was killing people out there. It was amusing live to see the Oilers smallish young forwards doing their best to get out of his way. Admittedly with his maneuverability that isn't too taxing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Played too good. :sarcasm: But Engo needs to play in a few games aswell. If he becomes a regular, then.....

How about games against slow and offensively inept teams? Don't set him and his partner up to fail, don't do it during Maatta's 9 games after he worked well with Bortuzzo. If he's a regular then trade all the young D for whatever... forwards.

To be fair Engelland was killing people out there. It was amusing live to see the Oilers smallish young forwards doing their best to get out of his way. Admittedly with his maneuverability that isn't too taxing.

Orpik had fun with a few of them too, and Kobasew nailed Hall, and I think Crosby got someone pretty well, and maybe Adams caught someone.

I think if I was one of the coaches I would have been demanding a new ref, because that one was a disaster.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
All that being said, Bort should be out there against the faster teams, and Engo against the slower, less skilled teams. I don't mind seeing Engo against Philly, but against Edmonton? Just plain bad. I think they flat out took Engo off the ice in the third, as he was on for both goals against wasn't he?

Maatta looked way better with Scuderi and Martin. Hopefully that's a preview of next year.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
All that being said, Bort should be out there against the faster teams, and Engo against the slower, less skilled teams. I don't mind seeing Engo against Philly, but against Edmonton? Just plain bad. I think they flat out took Engo off the ice in the third, as he was on for both goals against wasn't he?

Maatta looked way better with Scuderi and Martin. Hopefully that's a preview of next year.

Bortuzzo should also play against the better teams since Engelland shouldn't be playing in the playoffs

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Bortuzzo shouldn't be sitting at all. Hey, I like Engelland but this is Bortuzzo's time (finally). Why is he sitting (again)? Makes no sense.

The Maatta-Bortuzzo pairing was money. Why screw around with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad