Rumor: Plekanec was being shopped, but teams were not interested.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Stephane Langdeau = Rejean Tremblay/ Bertrand Raymond/Gaston Therrien

Une belle brochette!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I call BS as well.

Plekanec is on a great contract, unless you think it's still 2004 and the cap is 40M. Given the author, I wouldn't be surprised that he's really thinking Pleky is overpaid. :laugh:

I mean, Benny Freaking Pouliot is making 4M a year for the next 5 years.

And anyways, even if you (Langdeau) don't like Plekanec, I'm pretty sure any coach and GM would be quite happy to have him.

The only way it happens is because Bergevin's asking price was too high. And I'm fine with this.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nevermind the messenger for a second (Langdeau)

Is it not entirely in the realm of possibility that the Habs were indeed shopping Plekanec.

You've heard the GM say that they envision a larger role for Eller and they signed him to quite a generous contract despite coming off an uneven season.

I don't get what's so unbelievable...would you guys feel the same if it was Bob McKenzie who said it??

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
completely useless article

0 facts
0 chance any of it is true

Every single team would be interested in Pleks with his contract. Not 1 or 2 teams, every single team. Look what other players are getting now. Pleks is playing at slightly below market value. Put him on the PP instead of the PK and he puts up more points and you'd get even more interest.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
I didn't watch RDS much this nowadays but this is what I heard from them this week.

Chantelois: Koivu suffers the euro-syndrome (disappears in the playoffs) with the Habs.
In reality: Koivu in regular season with the Habs 639pts in 792 games=.80 Point per game Playoffs, 42pts in 49 games=.85 point per game.

So not only the guy is clearly misinformed but also xenophobic.

Gaston Therrien saying Tinordi is 6'4.

And now Langdeau saying no one in the league wants Plekanec?

Seriously, they should fire all the old farts. Therrien, Langdeau, Chantelois, Raymond, Flynn and Gagnon.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
First: You have to understand that RDS will protect local player. They will trash Carey Price, P.K. Subban and other players but will never say a bad thing about the local players.

Look just how they're selling Bouillon, who was supposed to be in "intense negotiation" with MTL according to them.
Look just how they were trying to sell the idea of Brodeur.
Look just how they trashed Pacioretty/Vanek in the PO but DD was fantastic.
Look just how they diminish everyone who's in competition with DD (Eller, Plekanec on the block and Galchenyuk not ready).

Second: RDS is in a "war" with TVA for ratings right now. They will say pretty much anything to get these ratings. Since they lost Renaud Lavoie, Eklund beomes a more reliable source than RDS IMO. They still got LeBrun but he's part time there and he's got his own thing going on the net for scoops.

Funny how Damphousse had a scoop exactly the same day of the opener of L'Antichambre.

Brodeur in MTL and a trade for Budaj is coming?
Plekanec wouldn't interest anybody at $5M for 2 years, not even Edmonton?
Bouillon in "intense negotiation" with the Habs?

Crap, crap, crap.....

It's simple:
- Promote local player will get you ratings/Hits
- Insiders info will get you some ratings/Hits

So i wouldn't believe many things coming out of RDS...unless the info is from Pierre LeBrun and he's not gonna give RDS the exclusivity of a scoop.
They are looking for ratings/Hits with cheap thrills

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Is it not entirely in the realm of possibility that the Habs were indeed shopping Plekanec.

You've heard the GM say that they envision a larger role for Eller and they signed him to quite a generous contract despite coming off an uneven season.

I don't get what's so unbelievable...would you guys feel the same if it was Bob McKenzie who said it??

Oh, they might be shopping all players, that can be true for any players including their top players. That i might believe, even if it's Price.

The stupidity start when he said that no team would touch because of his contract, which is awesome in terms and cap hit. Bob McKenzie wouldn't not say stupid stuff like that.

If Plek is on the block, many teams would've interest in him....teams like Washington, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Chicago would be all over for a 2-way player like him.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Yeah sure, you're probably right.

The problem is with the way it's reported. Not the guy, but the way he puts things. Like there's no interest in Plekanec because of his contract, which is pure nonsense.

If Bob McKenzie says Pleky's contract is untradeable, I'd say the exact same thing. Bull****.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Oh, they might be shopping all players, that can be true for any players including their top players. That i might believe, even if it's Price.

The stupidity start when he said that no team would touch because of his contract, which is awesome in terms and cap hit. Bob McKenzie wouldn't not say stupid stuff like that.

If Plek is on the block, many teams would've interest in him....teams like Washington, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Chicago would be all over for a 2-way player like him.

Maybe so...but that's your opinion.

Doesn't make it any more or less probably than Langdeau saying no team wants to touch that contract.

As far as Plekanec's contract...I don't think it's a great contract, but it's not terrible.

He's paid what his contemporaries are making (Filppula, Kesler,

Filppula, who's also a very good 2 way player put up 15 more points in less game and also makes 5M.

Kesler put up the same amount of points in a few less games...

Plekanec's contract is adequate

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
What an overreaction. I don't think it states anywhere that Plekanec is not wanted by anyone, it just says he was shopped around and a deal was not made. Could be Bergevin was asking for too much??

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Pacioretty - DD - Parenteau
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Sekac
Prust - Malhotra - Weise
Moen - Bournival - Andrighetto

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver
Tinordi - Pateryn

Price
Budaj
Tokarski

We are soooooooooooooo set and no need to trade anyone :D

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah sure, you're probably right.

The problem is with the way it's reported. Not the guy, but the way he puts things. Like there's no interest in Plekanec because of his contract, which is pure nonsense.

If Bob McKenzie says Pleky's contract is untradeable, I'd say the exact same thing. Bull****.

Well let's not act like that contract is very appealing either...if Plekanec continues the trend he's been on. He's going to be a good 2 way player, who scores 35-40pts making 5M.

I can see some teams not being interested in that...again, not that unreasonable to think.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
Well let's not act like that contract is very appealing either...if Plekanec continues the trend he's been on. He's going to be a good 2 way player, who scores 35-40pts making 5M.

I can see some teams not being interested in that...again, not that unreasonable to think.

Plekanec is exactly worth $5mil. It'll be stupid to think if he's worth less or more, especially with the cap increase..

Also Krejci is the same as Pleks but he gets $7.25m... most likely because he's given more minutes and has wingers that score more...

habitue*

Plekanec is exactly worth $5mil. It'll be stupid to think if he's worth less or more, especially with the cap increase..

Also Krejci is the same as Pleks but he gets $7.25m... most likely because he's given more minutes and has wingers that score more...

Krejci is a bit more offensively gifted than Plekky. Plekky is better defensively. They are not alike besides their country of origin.

As for the Landeau piece, we are missing some key info and we are all speculating here about nothing clear.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Krejci the same as Plekanec huh ?

OK then...

1UP

Oct 2, 2007
Québec
Krejci is a bit more offensively gifted than Plekky. Plekky is better defensively. They are not alike besides their country of origin.

As for the Landeau piece, we are missing some key info and we are all speculating here about nothing clear.

Indeed, it was literally only a sentence, kind of out of the blue.

My view is that there was interrest in Plekanec, but Bergevin wasn't about to let go his toughest minutes center for 3 pucks, a broken stick, margarine and a 3 legged dog. No trade that would improve the team means no trade.

As Bergevin likes to say, everything is possible, so of course every player has been "shopped".

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Krejci the same as Plekanec huh ?

OK then...

All things considered, I do think they are equally valuable to their respective teams for what they bring. If a straight up trade was available AND if they were getting paid the same, I would choose Pleks. People use that little girl comment (out of context invariably), but forget what a huge bich Krejci is. And yeah, give Pleks the same wingers and he wins. Just look at ANY season where this was the case. He's never failed. He's even been good with mediocre wingers.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Plek is not getting the respect he deverse and he is underrated, Mtl don't need or have any real reason to move him so they would be asking for over payment to let him go. Lot of team want Plek but none of them would offer what montreal is asking in return. 5M$ isn't over paid for what he brings.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Smells more like QMI than RDS, but either way I don't believe it. Plekanec isn't expensive given the market, and can easily produce 20/50. Give him a good winger for a whole season and he'll get you 25/60+. He's proven himself. Any team thin down the middle, looking for a nearly complete player on a fair contract should be interested.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
All things considered, I do think they are equally valuable to their respective teams for what they bring. If a straight up trade was available AND if they were getting paid the same, I would choose Pleks. People use that little girl comment (out of context invariably), but forget what a huge bich Krejci is. And yeah, give Pleks the same wingers and he wins. Just look at ANY season where this was the case. He's never failed. He's even been good with mediocre wingers.

I doubt alot of fans would think like you. You're talking like Lucic is a talented winger. I mean, he's not bad, even great for his size, but Lucic and a wash out Iginla aren't the reason Krejci produce ... Give me Krejci before Plekanec anytime. That being said, Plekanec is worth 6M easily on the open market and IF Bergevin wanted to clear his salary he would have absolutely no problem doing it. All but a few teams would have interest in Plekanec.

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
Lel, I'm glad I learned english at a young age. I can watch some game of thrones before bedtime instead of l'antichambre :P

srsly tho what a clown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad