Rumor: Plekanec was being shopped, but teams were not interested.

habitue*

What about that other rumour about Plekky wanting out of Montreal because Subban was allowed this fat, long contract ? They don't seem to like each other. But... ????

This article is crap anyway. Unable to trade him and making him Captain,then....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Makes sense...but also not shocking no teams were willing to take on that contract.

Plekanec is a good player, but severely overrated by Habs fans

Not very shocking to me that they were shopping him, I've been saying that since last year.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Krejci played with Lucic and Horton and last year Lucic and Iginla

Enough with the excuses, we make them for Eller and now were making them for Plekanec as well? Always about linemates? How about he takes his game to another level?

Krejci was able to get his game to another level and Plekanec never was. That's the bottom line

LH : 
Photo par Azarius/flickr © Randy Cunneyworth, entraîneur-chef du tricolore, a annoncé sur l'heure du midi que le joueur de centre des Canadiens de Montréal, Tomas Plekanec, composera un trio ce soir en compagnie des avants Brad Staubitz et Ryan White. Il est à se demander si après le départ Andrei Kostitsyn, Plekanec ne deviendra pas le prochain souffre-douleur du tricolore.

Staubitz AND White, Carl!!!!!!!!!!

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Maybe because the asking prove was too much and not because teams didn't want him.

Either that article is high school material

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
LH : 
Photo par Azarius/flickr © Randy Cunneyworth, entraîneur-chef du tricolore, a annoncé sur l'heure du midi que le joueur de centre des Canadiens de Montréal, Tomas Plekanec, composera un trio ce soir en compagnie des avants Brad Staubitz et Ryan White. Il est à se demander si après le départ Andrei Kostitsyn, Plekanec ne deviendra pas le prochain souffre-douleur du tricolore.

Staubitz AND White, Carl!!!!!!!!!!

lol two guys who are not even nhl caliber players

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Makes sense...but also not shocking no teams were willing to take on that contract.

Not very shocking to me that they were shopping him, I've been saying that since last year.

No way, give him 50 goal linemates and you'll see!!!

Trading Plekanec makes a lot of sense, better return then we would get for DD and at the same time you open up a spot for Galchenyuk. Agreed with you, don't understand why some would be surprised

habitue*

I am not sure at all that the remaining three centres, including Galchy, would had been strong enough to carry the work load.

But if you package Plekky with Beaulieu,you may get Evander Kane.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
No way, give him 50 goal linemates and you'll see!!!

Trading Plekanec makes a lot of sense, better return then we would get for DD and at the same time you open up a spot for Galchenyuk. Agreed with you, don't understand why some would be surprised

Give him two 30 goal scorers, 1st wave PP, let someone else handle tough match ups like Bergeron does for Krejci, or at least spread thing more evenly, and he gets back to 60-70 points easily.

But we've already discussed this.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The whole article is garbage, I don't even...

This is below CBC article on Pacioretty's contract in term of quality.

Edit: Link

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For what Pleks brings to an organization, his salary is quite attractive. I will never understand why this guy is never looked at for the Selke. He truly gets no respect!

habitue*

For what Pleks brings to an organization, his salary is quite attractive. I will never understand why this guy is never looked at for the Selke. He truly gets no respect!

For me, he is used too much for the physical attributes he has. They should play him no more than 18 minutes a game with less PP time. Hopefully, this year, Eller and Malhotra will pick up some PP minutes and face some of the bigger centres in the league.

Plekky is dead tired when Playoffs arrive.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
How Langdeau says the Habs tried to deal Plekanec's contract, as opposed to Plekanec the player, also makes no sense whatsoever.

Its not 11-12 Gomez. It's 5m TP...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You don't trade Gionta and Gorges, then trade the best remaining two-way forward, Plekanec. Unless the plan is to forget defense and win every game 8-7, the idea is ridiculous.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't know why everyone thinks it's so impossible to trade Plex.

It only makes sense that you'd have to trade Plex if they see Eller as his replacement but cheaper especially after he just signed a long term contract. If you can open up that much cap space and/or aquire a player to fill a hole we're lacking in, than why not trade Plex?

If you can get an E. Kane, Sharp etc. in the deal, I think you've made the club that much better and put us in a better position to compete for a Cup not to mention putting more onus on the kids to take more leadership role.

This line up isn't too bad and better than what we have right now IMO.

Patches - DD - Gally - Proven chemistry
Sharp/Kane - Chucky - PAP - Gives Chucky and opportunity with proven goal scorers and playmaker
Sekac/Bournival -Eller - Bork - Shown great chemistry last year, can swap Cakes with Weise if need be
Prust/Moen - Manny - Wiese - Might be our best 4th line in a long time. Clear what everyone brings, not a holding area for spare parts.

Moen Bournival extras

We have 4 defined lines. Top two both pose serious scoring lines, the 3rd line can check AND score and the 4th can do the same with more emphasis on checking/shutting down and less on offense but can still chip in.

Easily the most balanced our lines have been in a long time and with more depth in case of injuries. I dare say a team with this line up has Cup potential especially with Price at top form and our young defense maturing.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You don't trade Gionta and Gorges, then trade the best remaining two-way forward, Plekanec. Unless the plan is to forget defense and win every game 8-7, the idea is ridiculous.

You know...Plekanec isn't singlehandedly responsible for the teams ability to play effective 2 way hockey

Again...Plekanec's a good player, but he's also a player with diminishing skills (save the linemates excuse, I've heard/read it) and who's severely overrated by Habs fans IMO.

I'm sure if the Habs could find a trade partner and also get good value in return (even if I think Plekanec is overrated by many here, it doesn't mean he's not useful to the team), he'd be a goner.

I'm personally a big fan of how MB seems to be operating...there's a roster turnover, there's a shift in terms of giving our younger players more responsibility. I sincerely think that Lars Eller's contract spells the end of Plekanec in MTL, either in the short term or medium term.

habitue*

I don't know why everyone thinks it's so impossible to trade Plex.

It only makes sense that you'd have to trade Plex if they see Eller as his replacement but cheaper especially after he just signed a long term contract. If you can open up that much cap space and/or aquire a player to fill a hole we're lacking in, than why not trade Plex?

If you can get an E. Kane, Sharp etc. in the deal, I think you've made the club that much better and put us in a better position to compete for a Cup not to mention putting more onus on the kids to take more leadership role.

This line up isn't too bad and better than what we have right now IMO.

Patches - DD - Gally - Proven chemistry
Sharp/Kane - Chucky - PAP - Gives Chucky and opportunity with proven goal scorers and playmaker
Sekac/Bournival -Eller - Bork - Shown great chemistry last year, can swap Cakes with Weise if need be
Prust/Moen - Manny - Wiese - Might be our best 4th line in a long time. Clear what everyone brings, not a holding area for spare parts.

Moen Bournival extras

We have 4 defined lines. Top two both pose serious scoring lines, the 3rd line can check AND score and the 4th can do the same with more emphasis on checking/shutting down and less on offense but can still chip in.

Easily the most balanced our lines have been in a long time and with more depth in case of injuries. I dare say a team with this line up has Cup potential especially with Price at top form and our young defense maturing.

Plekanec in Chicago would had made sense, but they signed Brad Richards and they have the young Finnish guy coming up soon (teuvo ???). Sharp can also play centre if needed.

E.Kane would make more sense, but the Jets might ask a very hefty price for him. They already have three good centres. Big Buff would be more affordable.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
You know...Plekanec isn't singlehandedly responsible for the teams ability to play effective 2 way hockey

Again...Plekanec's a good player, but he's also a player with diminishing skills (save the linemates excuse, I've heard/read it) and who's severely overrated by Habs fans IMO.

I'm sure if the Habs could find a trade partner and also get good value in return (even if I think Plekanec is overrated by many here, it doesn't mean he's not useful to the team), he'd be a goner.

I'm personally a big fan of how MB seems to be operating...there's a roster turnover, there's a shift in terms of giving our younger players more responsibility. I sincerely think that Lars Eller's contract spells the end of Plekanec in MTL, either in the short term or medium term.

The odd man out is Desharnais.

Galchenyuk
Eller
Plekanec
4th line center

Im almost sure Desharnais gets packaged for a 2nd line winger this season.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Maybe because he's good enough to win it???

Don't get me wrong, Plekanec is a very responsible 2 way player...but I don't think he's Selke level

But that's just me

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The odd man out is Desharnais.

Galchenyuk
Eller
Plekanec
4th line center

Im almost sure Desharnais gets packaged for a 2nd line winger this season.

I'm almost sure he doesn't...he doesn't exactly have great trade value because of optics (size, undrafted, etc).

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Maybe because he's good enough to win it???

Don't get me wrong, Plekanec is a very responsible 2 way player...but I don't think he's Selke level

But that's just me

He finished 7th in voting:

As selected by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association.

Points (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th)

1. Patrice Bergeron, BOS 1,283 (112-21-2-2-0)

2. Anze Kopitar, LA 840 (20-66-26-15-3)

3. Jonathan Toews, CHI 624 (2-36-57-20-7)

4. David Backes, STL 415 (3-5-31-59-18)

5. Marian Hossa, CHI 66 (0-5-2-2-15)

6. Ryan O'Reilly, COL 58 (0-0-3-10-13)

7. Tomas Plekanec, MTL 45 (0-0-4-5-10)

8. Joe Pavelski, SJ 32 (0-0-2-3-13)

9. Sean Couturier, PHI 30 (0-1-2-1-10)

10. Ryan Getzlaf, ANA 22 (0-1-1-2-4)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...-the-voting-went-down-for-the-nhl-awards.html

That's pretty solid.

Plekanec is not a great offensive player but he is one of the best 2-way centers in the league.

I do believe his offense gets a little overrated but I also think his contribution overall, at times, gets under-appreciated. He plays very tough minutes for this team and does a lot of things that can't be measured by stats. I find too often people get hung up on offensive production, when in reality, hockey is a 200 ft game.

Plekanec might not be a #1 center but he is a damn good #2.

All that being said, I don't think it's crazy to think the Habs would explore trade options. However, I don't believe there wouldn't be interest. I also don't believe everything I read on the internet.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He finished 7th in voting:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...-the-voting-went-down-for-the-nhl-awards.html

That's pretty solid.

Plekanec is not a great offensive player but he is one of the best 2-way centers in the league.

I do believe his offense gets a little overrated but I also think his contribution overall, at times, gets under-appreciated. He plays very tough minutes for this team and does a lot of things that can't be measured by stats. I find too often people get hung up on offensive production, when in reality, hockey is a 200 ft game.

Plekanec might not be a #1 center but he is a damn good #2.

All that being said, I don't think it's crazy to think the Habs would explore trade options. However, I don't believe there wouldn't be interest. I also don't believe everything I read on the internet.

Yes he finished 7th in voting...how many of those were 1st or even 2nd place votes?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Plekanec in Chicago would had made sense, but they signed Brad Richards and they have the young Finnish guy coming up soon (teuvo ???). Sharp can also play centre if needed.

E.Kane would make more sense, but the Jets might ask a very hefty price for him. They already have three good centres. Big Buff would be more affordable.

The Habs have cap space so they can also take on more salary by taking a guy like Leddy on as well which would help the Hawks stay under the cap moving forward. As for the Jets, the price would be high but I have no idea what it would be but they could use a vet centre like Plex on that team. Edmonton is another team that could probably use a player like Plex, as would a handful of other teams around the league. I just used those two names for demonstration purposes and because they've been rumoured for some time.

If we managed to trade Budaj, we'd have even more cap space to take on more salary. The importance of that can't be understated. A few teams are well over the cap and need to get under it. A team willing to take on salary AND offer a quality 2nd line centre are not common.

In any case, just wanted to highlight that the rumor does have some merit to it and I think we might actually be a better team depensding on the player we get back, as it would in any other trade. In this case, we just might have the upperhand that allows us to take advanatage of a team that need to shed salary or a player that no longer fits in their plans. Both these cases historically have shown to be ideal trade candidates.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Yes he finished 7th in voting...how many of those were 1st or even 2nd place votes?

So he's not Patrice Bergeron level. Has anyone ever said that he was?

I was merely pointing out that being the 7th best defensive forward in the entire league is very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00