Rumor: Plekanec was being shopped, but teams were not interested.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
What was he shopping for doubt it was a Lamborghini ? Solid as the day is long, GM's would be falling over themselves trying to get Bergy on the phone.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Doubtful. Kesler is making the same as Plekanec and he was highly coveted. Granted, he's a better player, but not significantly so anymore. My guess, this is complete nonsense or the Habs were asking a lot.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Makes sense...but also not shocking no teams were willing to take on that contract.

Plekanec is a good player, but severely overrated by Habs fans

Not very shocking to me that they were shopping him, I've been saying that since last year.

wow. just wow.

and no, probably underrated by most habs fans.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
Personally not a fan. Hoping it's his last year. I'll keep it at that.

Pleks has a decent contract, is a good two way contributor who can pop in 20 goals and 45+ points dependably. But yeah this guy isn't a #1C or even that great a #2C if you want to win a Cup. To get us there, I want a guy with more drive. Too often Pleks disappears in the playoffs when we need him most. He was invisible after the midway point of the Bruins series. Yes everyone struggled in the Rangers series but in the final 10 games Pleks had 1 goal, 2 assists and was a -4. Not good enough to go to the next level. Question is can Eller take over that position as our go-to, two way forward and make Pleks expendable?

Galchenyuk

Sep 13, 2014
Yep, saw that one yesterday... makes no sense at all, if Plekanec was made available, 29 GMs would be calling. Great 2-way center with top notch work ethics, silent leader who has had great relantionships with all his coaches... 3 years 15mil... that's almost less than Pouilot.

Total BS...

Agreed the only question is what can get in a trade?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I really don't know why it's too far fetched to think that this happened or even could be just a possibility. Now...PLEASE REMEMBER that you are not running this team. Not me either. They are. The ones that, right now, are ready to give Bouillon one last chance. While I don't think it's the end of the world, some of you do. So....other things you might not agree with COULD happen. I know it will for me, can imagine it will for you to. Now....here are the reasons why it could happen....

1) While it was not publicize, DD "might" have been offered as well, also with no takers. Or...he might not have offered at all as our management believes in him dearly. They gave him that contract. Therrien loves him. Deal with it...they like him. And probably don'T believe he's a winger. So far

2) They just gave a big contract to Eller. They probably think he's about to be a top 6 player.

3) Galchenyuk might be about to have his chance at C. Will he play on the 4th line? They probably want to be patient with him but 4th line C? No chance.

4) Leaves...Pleks. Pleks might be the BEST player we have who "might" be expendable AND have great value. Again, I stress "might" as some will say that compared to DD, Pleks is nothing but expendable...I know....but play with me here.

5) Now...."teams were not interested" makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever. That can't be true. Nobody will tell me that all the teams won't need a Pleks. They will. Cap will go up, Pleks contract is not that bad. But teams might have done those 2 things.....a) not ready yet to look at that option, want to see in camp what they have in hand and or b) not give the return we think he might be worth.

Again, not going with the whose better, who's not, just going with a scenario that "might" go in the direction of that rumor. It's not incredibly too far fetched. We've seen way worst things than that. And again, like I keep saying....it's often all about the return.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I really don't know why it's too far fetched to think that this happened or even could be just a possibility. Now...PLEASE REMEMBER that you are not running this team. Not me either. They are. The ones that, right now, are ready to give Bouillon one last chance. While I don't think it's the end of the world, some of you do. So....other things you might not agree with COULD happen. I know it will for me, can imagine it will for you to. Now....here are the reasons why it could happen....

1) While it was not publicize, DD "might" have been offered as well, also with no takers. Or...he might not have offered at all as our management believes in him dearly. They gave him that contract. Therrien loves him. Deal with it...they like him. And probably don'T believe he's a winger. So far

2) They just gave a big contract to Eller. They probably think he's about to be a top 6 player.

3) Galchenyuk might be about to have his chance at C. Will he play on the 4th line? They probably want to be patient with him but 4th line C? No chance.

4) Leaves...Pleks. Pleks might be the BEST player we have who "might" be expendable AND have great value. Again, I stress "might" as some will say that compared to DD, Pleks is nothing but expendable...I know....but play with me here.

5) Now...."teams were not interested" makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever. That can't be true.
Nobody will tell me that all the teams won't need a Pleks. They will. Cap will go up, Pleks contract is not that bad. But teams might have done those 2 things.....a) not ready yet to look at that option, want to see in camp what they have in hand and or b) not give the return we think he might be worth.

Again, not going with the whose better, who's not, just going with a scenario that "might" go in the direction of that rumor. It's not incredibly too far fetched. We've seen way worst things than that. And again, like I keep saying....it's often all about the return.

That's what people are calling BS on. I'm sure everybody here has no issue believing Plekanec could have been shopped.

The no takers part is what makes no sense as you said.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
That's what people are calling BS on. I'm sure everybody here has no issue believing Plekanec could have been shopped.

Well "Sans qu'il n'y ait de preneurs" could mean quite a few things. The what makes no sense theory as far as he was offered, and nobody wants him.Or....he's still with us. There were "no preneurs" 'cause in the end, he's still a Hab. Doesn't mean people weren't interested....could mean a deal couldn't be done.

I'm not a RDS fan...far from it. But people are just RDS hatred oriented for no reasons. The big news here, if it's true and if there has to be one, is not that Plekanec isn't worth anything for the other teams, as this is not what it means or if it does, it's just a writer's way of writing that part of the article. The real news is indeed that he was offered. Which again, could be true.

Strangely, in the process of RDS bashing, people just forget the paragraph before....where it says that Plekanec is indeed the most complete C of this team. Which has to bring that question.....if he's the most complete C of our team, but yet is worth nothing....what the heck are our other C's worth?

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB

Could it be more of a salary cap issue? Interested teams were tight against the cap, and maybe Montreal was asking for draft picks/young guys, but the other team wanted to send 5 Mil in salary back? Therefore teams weren't interested because they couldn't make it work financially. That's my guess. If true.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Could it be more of a salary cap issue? Interested teams were tight against the cap, and maybe Montreal was asking for draft picks/young guys, but the other team wanted to send 5 Mil in salary back? Therefore teams weren't interested because they couldn't make it work financially. That's my guess. If true.

I highly doubt that the Habs were in "sell" mode.. I think instead that Plekanec might have been offered in exchange for a top line winger, and the Habs could not find a partner willing to give up such a big asset in exchange.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
I highly doubt that the Habs were in "sell" mode.. I think instead that Plekanec might have been offered in exchange for a top line winger, and the Habs could not find a partner willing to give up such a big asset in exchange.

Maybe Habs/Black Hawks were talking (Sharp?) but when Richards became available at such a low cap hit, talks ended.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Pleks has a decent contract, is a good two way contributor who can pop in 20 goals and 45+ points dependably. But yeah this guy isn't a #1C or even that great a #2C if you want to win a Cup. To get us there, I want a guy with more drive. Too often Pleks disappears in the playoffs when we need him most. He was invisible after the midway point of the Bruins series. Yes everyone struggled in the Rangers series but in the final 10 games Pleks had 1 goal, 2 assists and was a -4. Not good enough to go to the next level. Question is can Eller take over that position as our go-to, two way forward and make Pleks expendable?

He played in the PO with guys like Bournival, Prust, Moen against the top line and we wonder how Plekanec's defensive game took a beating?

And for some reasons, offensively, in the last two PO runs our best offensive forwards were: Bourque with 14 points, Plekanec and Gallagher with 13 points.

If he's not showing up in the PO......he's not the only one.

5) Now...."teams were not interested" makes ABSOLUTELY no sense whatsoever. That can't be true. Nobody will tell me that all the teams won't need a Pleks. They will. Cap will go up, Pleks contract is not that bad. But teams might have done those 2 things.....a) not ready yet to look at that option, want to see in camp what they have in hand and or b) not give the return we think he might be worth.

Don't need to go that far to find a reason that Plekanec COULD be on the market.....mayby he's just tired with the way he's used in Montreal.

Well "Sans qu'il n'y ait de preneurs" could mean quite a few things. The what makes no sense theory as far as he was offered, and nobody wants him.Or....he's still with us. There were "no preneurs" 'cause in the end, he's still a Hab. Doesn't mean people weren't interested....could mean a deal couldn't be done.

I'm not a RDS fan...far from it. But people are just RDS hatred oriented for no reasons. The big news here, if it's true and if there has to be one, is not that Plekanec isn't worth anything for the other teams, as this is not what it means or if it does, it's just a writer's way of writing that part of the article. The real news is indeed that he was offered. Which again, could be true.

Strangely, in the process of RDS bashing, people just forget the paragraph before....where it says that Plekanec is indeed the most complete C of this team. Which has to bring that question.....if he's the most complete C of our team, but yet is worth nothing....what the heck are our other C's worth?

Last edited by a moderator:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's not as though sports journalism is that bad in general. In my observations it's on the same level as other kinds of journalism, like politics, foreign affairs, science, technology, culture, et cetera. It's a whole lot of copying and pasting of press releases, nonsense, et cetera. People complain about the low quality of RDS, but I can't be bothered when journalists covering much more important topics like the middle east or Ukraine have absolutely no idea what the **** they're talking about.

Ultimately what it comes down to is that the most talented and intelligent people in society are not particularly likely to become journalists with incomes of $45,000/year. People with talent and ability who would be able to write will predominantly go into other areas, with rare exceptions. Journalism doesn't pay well so it won't attracted the best.

It also reflects what people want. Tony Marinaro has high ratings, and probably makes more than $45,000/year, because the public likes his style and his substance.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
No takers for one of the top two-way centres in the game, who plays some of the toughest minutes in the entire NHL, on a great contract?

Plekanec is on a mediocre contract, not a great one, and his play is starting to drop off. I think it is more likely that teams were not interested because Bergevin was probably asking for too much.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

From what people were saying here, most took it as if Langdeau was saying no teams were interested in the player.

I fully disagree with the belief that Plekanec was not movable. If our GM was asking for the moon, then that's not Plekanec being immovable or that no teams were interested, it's that the price was too high. If you're going to relay info to the public in a column or article, it's pretty important to choose proper wording.

If that's the case then it's not that teams weren't interested in trading for Plekanec, it's the price was too high. Two very different things imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The brutal truth for Hab fans is Galchenyuk needs to start getting top six icetime at center, which means moving one of DD or Plekanec. I have no problem with this it's just part of hockey, if the Habs move either player, they should warrant at least a high top 20 - 1st round pick & a (2nd or prospect)IMHO. With two very talented Francophone players in J.Roy(RHD) & N.Roy(C/RW) available in 2015, they could draft both using the 2nd round pick in conjunction with the 1st to get J.Roy leaving them with their picks 1st & 2nd round together to draft N.Roy.

I can see the Habs shopping either of them at the deadline(if the Habs aren't playoff bound themselves) to receive the best assets in return.(DD & Plecky) My thinking is Galchenyuk will be capable of replacing the center that's traded, and it's a deep draft like 2013, the timing for this kind of trade should be worth the loss and a 1st & 2nd this season isn't really a gamble.

So even though Plecky is my favorite Hab, I know teams have to give quality to get that in return, and a very good PMD(using the picks from trade) along with a playmaking center with size 6'4" and 205 lbs.(using the Habs own picks 1st & 2nd) would set the Habs up with top caliber players in 3-4 yrs. That kind of return is certainly worthy of consideration, at the very least if the Habs miss the playoffs.:nod:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I agree with the above comment/post, but...still wish this didn't leak out, but then again...this is Montreal...it happens here and I just have to assume Pleks knows Mtl media will be Mtl media (it is what it is and that's it). Could just be a rumor, could be legit/real, but I bet you Pleks won't think anything of this and move on and continue being the pro/classy player he is.

If we're not getting an upgrade for Pleks...I'd keep him for the remainder of his contract and see maybe if we can even add another 2-3 yrs (two-way 2nd center or best two-way 3rd center in NHL...when his contract is done that is).

Wish it was DD being shopped instead of Pleks...
Pleks+Galchenyuk+Eller+De La Rose
anyday...
VS
DD+Galchenyuk+Eller+De La Rose

Last edited:

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.

excellent post! i couldnt have said it better and i agree on all points.

now, would i prefer DD to be the center being shopped around? absolutely. but as you point out... Pleck's just might be the best option they see viable based on all point you brought up.

but, that's all depending on if there is any truth to this rumor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad