Rumor: Plekanec was being shopped, but teams were not interested.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
No one wanted him... because the asking price was too ****ing high?

I agree with the above comment/post, but...still wish this didn't leak out, but then again...this is Montreal...it happens here and I just have to assume Pleks knows Mtl media will be Mtl media (it is what it is and that's it). Could just be a rumor, could be legit/real, but I bet you Pleks won't think anything of this and move on and continue being the pro/classy player he is.

If we're not getting an upgrade for Pleks...I'd keep him for the remainder of his contract and see maybe if we can even add another 2-3 yrs (two-way 2nd center or best two-way 3rd center in NHL...when his contract is done that is).

Wish it was DD being shopped instead of Pleks...
Pleks+Galchenyuk+Eller+De La Rose
anyday...
VS
DD+Galchenyuk+Eller+De La Rose

As would I, DD isn't Plekanec level defensively but he can produce offence no doubting his abilities in that regard. Nashville Predators just signed 3 UFA centers Olli Jokinen, Ribeiro and Roy to produce offence for them, after trading Legwand and then Fisher got injured and won't see action until late November. I have a feeling that the 3 UFA's are past their prime and Nashville missed their guess signing them. If that's the case they could be interested in DD, and with their huge lineup DD would have lots of room to use his playmaking skills for them. The Habs could get a 2015 1st draft pick for DD, and a 2nd in 2016 would be a fair trade IMHO. Nashville will be fighting for a wild card playoff spot IMO giving the Habs a mid (13 - 16 spot to draft from) that may be high enough to draft J.Roy. If the Habs falter and miss the playoffs, due to the loss of many veterans and breaking in so many rookies, their draft spot could get them N.Roy. Not only would that give the Habs a great draft but they would have a pick around 45th in the 2nd round, where they could pick up Gabriel Gagne(LW) or Alex Carrier(RD) giving the Habs 3 quality picks from the QMJHL for the first time in a couple of decades.

If the Habs are missing the playoffs then it may be a wise move to trade Plekanec also. Which could get the Habs two bonuses, one a lot higher drafting slot and two a couple of late first round picks from a SC contending team like Pittsburgh. Tomas would thrive as a 3rd line center for offence oriented Penguins, the Habs getting their 1st's for 2015 & 2016. They could draft Nathan Noel(C) giving them three 1st round and a 2nd round quality Francophones, which Quebec fans would be ecstatic about. The Habs if making these deals would have two 1st's and three 2nd's in 2016, much the same as Buffalo and Tampa Bay have done the last couple of drafts. The 2016 Entry Draft isn't deep like the 2015 but the first round promises to have real quality depth. With the talent evaluating team the Habs have and the depth in the system in great shape, adding another 4 quality prospects in 2015 and 5 more in 2016 the Habs systems depth would be "Elite" in the NHL again.

Setting the table for another very possible dynasty type team in Montreal, within five yrs. Combining all of the draft picks Gauthier made, with deals Bergevin could make, would complete the rebuilding of the Habs, while missing the playoffs twice. Once with Gauthier(last place Eastern Conference) and possibly this season breaking in 4-5 rookies or more, a far quicker rebuild without finishing in the cellar for 4-5 yrs. like many other NHL teams.

The Habs would have a very young core group, that's a speedy, talented, bunch with quality depth depth in each position. Defence & goaltending being "Elite" and the forward corps lethal, particularly at center the driving force in creating offence. Having a center group with;

1) A.Galchenyuk
2) N.Roy
3) L.Eller
4) G.Gagne

All of these players with good size, skating, shooting and playmaking. Please Bergevin build our Habs into another dynasty, so that all the young Hab fans can watch and get the thrill that our previous teams gave us lifelong Hab fans.:handclap:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Funny how rumors get overblown, the title of the thread tells one it's complete B.S., since when have NHL teams stopped trying to acquire veteran centers like Plekanec. He's 31 yrs. old and one of the very best two/way centers in the hockey world and a steal at $5 mil. a year, just a joke, IMHO.:laugh:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
hahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

what a load of crap

Saintpatrick*

Funny how rumors get overblown, the title of the thread tells one it's complete B.S., since when have NHL teams stopped trying to acquire veteran centers like Plekanec. He's 31 yrs. old and one of the very best two/way centers in the hockey world and a steal at $5 mil. a year, just a joke, IMHO.:laugh:

Agreed. If he was being shopped I'm sure quite a few teams would be interested. If he is traded the return better be very good because without him I don't see who would play the hard minutes Pleky does. I could even see us missing the playoffs without him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
excellent post! i couldnt have said it better and i agree on all points.

now, would i prefer DD to be the center being shopped around? absolutely. but as you point out... Pleck's just might be the best option they see viable based on all point you brought up.

but, that's all depending on if there is any truth to this rumor

Personnally, most people will believe that DD should be shopped around and if we could get a return that is somewhat acceptable, to do that trade. Somehow, don't believe it's possible. Yet. DD needs to rack some consistent offensive seasons.

Galchenyuk

Sep 13, 2014
As would I, DD isn't Plekanec level defensively but he can produce offence no doubting his abilities in that regard. Nashville Predators just signed 3 UFA centers Olli Jokinen, Ribeiro and Roy to produce offence for them, after trading Legwand and then Fisher got injured and won't see action until late November. I have a feeling that the 3 UFA's are past their prime and Nashville missed their guess signing them. If that's the case they could be interested in DD, and with their huge lineup DD would have lots of room to use his playmaking skills for them. The Habs could get a 2015 1st draft pick for DD, and a 2nd in 2016 would be a fair trade IMHO. Nashville will be fighting for a wild card playoff spot IMO giving the Habs a mid (13 - 16 spot to draft from) that may be high enough to draft J.Roy. If the Habs falter and miss the playoffs, due to the loss of many veterans and breaking in so many rookies, their draft spot could get them N.Roy. Not only would that give the Habs a great draft but they would have a pick around 45th in the 2nd round, where they could pick up Gabriel Gagne(LW) or Alex Carrier(RD) giving the Habs 3 quality picks from the QMJHL for the first time in a couple of decades.

If the Habs are missing the playoffs then it may be a wise move to trade Plekanec also. Which could get the Habs two bonuses, one a lot higher drafting slot and two a couple of late first round picks from a SC contending team like Pittsburgh. Tomas would thrive as a 3rd line center for offence oriented Penguins, the Habs getting their 1st's for 2015 & 2016. They could draft Nathan Noel(C) giving them three 1st round and a 2nd round quality Francophones, which Quebec fans would be ecstatic about. The Habs if making these deals would have two 1st's and three 2nd's in 2016, much the same as Buffalo and Tampa Bay have done the last couple of drafts. The 2016 Entry Draft isn't deep like the 2015 but the first round promises to have real quality depth. With the talent evaluating team the Habs have and the depth in the system in great shape, adding another 4 quality prospects in 2015 and 5 more in 2016 the Habs systems depth would be "Elite" in the NHL again.

Setting the table for another very possible dynasty type team in Montreal, within five yrs. Combining all of the draft picks Gauthier made, with deals Bergevin could make, would complete the rebuilding of the Habs, while missing the playoffs twice. Once with Gauthier(last place Eastern Conference) and possibly this season breaking in 4-5 rookies or more, a far quicker rebuild without finishing in the cellar for 4-5 yrs. like many other NHL teams.

The Habs would have a very young core group, that's a speedy, talented, bunch with quality depth depth in each position. Defence & goaltending being "Elite" and the forward corps lethal, particularly at center the driving force in creating offence. Having a center group with;

1) A.Galchenyuk
2) N.Roy
3) L.Eller
4) G.Gagne

All of these players with good size, skating, shooting and playmaking. Please Bergevin build our Habs into another dynasty, so that all the young Hab fans can watch and get the thrill that our previous teams gave us lifelong Hab fans.:handclap:

Your not getting a number 1 pick for DD from Nashville . 51 is what he is a gap filler and that's what Roy ,Jokinen and Ribeiro are right now. Why give up assets for DD when I can a cheap centre to do the same job. Bottom line is you can't win with 51 on your top 6 and we have seen how ineffective he has been in the playoffs. The future is Galchenyuk as our top pivot.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Your not getting a number 1 pick for DD from Nashville . 51 is what he is a gap filler and that's what Roy ,Jokinen and Ribeiro are right now. Why give up assets for DD when I can a cheap centre to do the same job. Bottom line is you can't win with 51 on your top 6 and we have seen how ineffective he has been in the playoffs. The future is Galchenyuk as our top pivot.

If sticking only to facts as opposed to ideology, well, We also can't win with Subban as our best d-men, Plekanec in the top-6, and so on.

There are many reasons to give DD a less important role. The whole "can't win with him" crap is not one of them, at least, cannot be proven by irrefutable evidence that we would have won otherwise.

Andros777

Apr 12, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Well he's kind of an underwhelming player. I don't think anyone would deny he's good, but I don't think there's anyone in the league who doesn't hope to have someone better, us included.

Galchenyuk

Sep 13, 2014
If sticking only to facts as opposed to ideology, well, We also can't win with Subban as our best d-men, Plekanec in the top-6, and so on.

There are many reasons to give DD a less important role. The whole "can't win with him" crap is not one of them, at least, cannot be proven by irrefutable evidence that we would have won otherwise.

Replace a contenders top pivot with 51 ,you won't win anything.Kings aren't winning a cup with 51 going up against Getzlaf , Toews , etc... Our top 2 lines simply isn't good enough to make a legit cup run.
We are fine with PK and Price but that's all we have in terms of elite talent right now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Replace a contenders top pivot with 51 ,you won't win anything.Kings aren't winning a cup with 51 going up against Getzlaf , Toews , etc... Our top 2 lines simply isn't good enough to make a legit cup run.
We are fine with PK and Price but that's all we have in terms of elite talent right now.

All something can be be proven by irrefutable evidence.

Rozz

Jun 23, 2012
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Personnally, most people will believe that DD should be shopped around and if we could get a return that is somewhat acceptable, to do that trade. Somehow, don't believe it's possible. Yet. DD needs to rack some consistent offensive seasons.

oh definitely, and its pretty simple. Pleck's is bigger, proven to be quite consistent over the years, and is damn good at being a 2 way top tier 2nd line C all on his own regardless of who his wingers have been. thus he just has more value to other teams.

DD has proven he can put up decent numbers with Patches, is feisty and a hard worker, and is good in a shoot out, and while that works (ish) for our team, he would have to put up great offensive numbers in order to attract trade value.

so while i would prefer DD to be shopped.. it sadly is more likely that Plecks goes before him just due to circumstance and timing.

but again .. that's if there was any truth to this rumor lol

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I would trade Desharnais before I even think about trading Plekanec, Plekanec is the ideal 3rd line centre on a Stanley Cup team, he can play defense, kill penalties, win face off's and score goals!!! What else do you need?

I would want to see the top 3 down the middle in the coming year or two...

Galchenyuk
Eller/De La Rose
Plekanec

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would trade Desharnais before I even think about trading Plekanec, Plekanec is the ideal 3rd line centre on a Stanley Cup team, he can play defense, kill penalties, win face off's and score goals!!! What else do you need?

I would want to see the top 3 down the middle in the coming year or two...

Galchenyuk
Eller/De La Rose
Plekanec

DLR is a winger.. But that's exactly how I see our center depth unless we can acquire or draft another offensive center.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
It's hard to believe that as desperate as the Oilers are for a second line center, that they would not have jumped at the chance to add Plekanec. If there are any legs to this rumor, Montreal's asking price must have been higher then Edmonton was willing to go.

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I would love to send DD to the oilers for a high pick (2nd in 15) or a decent prospect/pick. He would insulate the center position until Draisaitl is ready.

In a corresponding move, offer a similar package to obtain Patrick Berglund from the blues to fill the #2LW spot. He is a beast on the cycle, he is very defensively responsible, and is a shoot first player (something we need more of)

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
It's hard to believe that as desperate as the Oilers are for a second line center, that they would not have jumped at the chance to add Plekanec. If there are any legs to this rumor, Montreal's asking price must have been higher then Edmonton was willing to go.

Plekanec's no trade clause say HI!!!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Wow. How the heck did his agent swing that?

Teams are giving out NTCs like candy:laugh:

No, he deserved it. Hardest working Hab.

MF6uaRz.gif

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Trade Plekanec at deadline maybe, after Galchenyuk has completed jump to center. For a scaoring winger. I get a feel Bergs already has something on the table in this regard. The way he is acting. Moving AG to center, not naming a captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad