Rumor: Plekanec was being shopped, but teams were not interested.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So he's not Patrice Bergeron level. Has anyone ever said that he was?

I was merely pointing out that being the 7th best defensive forward in the entire league is very good.

Well I also didn't say he's garbage...I just think that he's quite overrated by habs fans, both offensively and defensively.

and btw yes - if you were to ask many fans on this website, they'll tell you he's just as good defensively as Bergeron, I've had many debates on here on just that.

But I'm not referring to you or even disagreeing with what you wrote overall...he's a solid player, just not sure I think this team will self-destruct if ever he's trades

and it's also not very surprising to me to read that the Habs have tried shopping him....makes all the sense in the world.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
No way, give him 50 goal linemates and you'll see!!!

Trading Plekanec makes a lot of sense, better return then we would get for DD and at the same time you open up a spot for Galchenyuk. Agreed with you, don't understand why some would be surprised

Jason Spezza got a 2nd rounder and a bunch of mediocre prospects and he's a legit #1 centre, how much would we even get back for Plekanec? On top of that it'd be mainly contenders looking at him and I doubt they'd give us something in return to help us now.

Given how weak the East is it makes a lot more sense to keep Plekanec since he is a huge part of the team and without him it weakens our chances a lot to be one of the top teams in the East.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
You know...Plekanec isn't singlehandedly responsible for the teams ability to play effective 2 way hockey

Again...Plekanec's a good player, but he's also a player with diminishing skills (save the linemates excuse, I've heard/read it) and who's severely overrated by Habs fans IMO.

I'm sure if the Habs could find a trade partner and also get good value in return (even if I think Plekanec is overrated by many here, it doesn't mean he's not useful to the team), he'd be a goner.

I'm personally a big fan of how MB seems to be operating...there's a roster turnover, there's a shift in terms of giving our younger players more responsibility. I sincerely think that Lars Eller's contract spells the end of Plekanec in MTL, either in the short term or medium term.

Obviously Pleks isn't responsible for the entire team's backchecking, but he's the best we've got. Eller is nowhere near Plekanec's skill and puck instincts. At least not yet. The point remains that by dumping both Gorges and Gionta, Montreal's taken a big step away from a cautious defensive game in favour of more speed, youth and offense. You can say that makes Plekanec obsolete; I say it makes him indispensable because he brings an essential skill to the team that no one else has.

And diminishing skill? Really? The guy's just 31 and injury-free.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
why is it complete BS? Seems very plausible to me...

But to be honest, he's worth more to the Habs than he would be in a trade.

1- It comes from freaking Langdeau. You know who he is right?
2- It's plausible to you that there were NO takers for Plekanec? :laugh:
3- It didn't say the price was too high, no, it said there were no takers and mentioned his contract leading people to believe that's the reason why. 5M for Plekanec is a great price.

Complete BS and makes no sense. Stop being clouded by your insistence on Plek being overrated here. Even if he was, as you said, he's still a solid player.
So please explain to me why it's plausible a solid player generates no interest?

Let me remind you again that aside from all of this, this is freaking Langdeau speaking.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Jason Spezza got a 2nd rounder and a bunch of mediocre prospects and he's a legit #1 centre, how much would we even get back for Plekanec? On top of that it'd be mainly contenders looking at him and I doubt they'd give us something in return to help us now.

Given how weak the East is it makes a lot more sense to keep Plekanec since he is a huge part of the team and without him it weakens our chances a lot to be one of the top teams in the East.

Everybody in the league know Spezza wanted out of Ottawa and he's 1 year removed from free agency. He wasn't going to fetch an amazing return.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Obviously Pleks isn't responsible for the entire team's backchecking, but he's the best we've got. Eller is nowhere near Plekanec's skill and puck instincts. At least not yet. The point remains that by dumping both Gorges and Gionta, Montreal's taken a big step away from a cautious defensive game in favour of more speed, youth and offense. You can say that makes Plekanec obsolete; I say it makes him indispensable because he brings an essential skill to the team that no one else has.

All fair points...like I said, Plekanec at this point is worth more to the Habs, then he would be in a trade IMO. So i'm not really interested in giving him away for scraps.

And diminishing skill? Really? The guy's just 31 and injury-free

Has nothing to do with his age...offensively, his game has deteriorated over the last few years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Has nothing to do with his age...offensively, his game has deteriorated over the last few years.

How can you possibly say this without mentioning his wingers?? If you heard and read it all, then how you can say with certainty that it's irrelevant to his wingers??

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
1- It comes from freaking Langdeau. You know who he is right?

Yes I know who Langdeau is...but I don't really care if it comes from Langdeau's dog. I think it's a plausible scenario. Forgive me for having my own opinion.

2- It's plausible to you that there were NO takers for Plekanec?

Hmm...not sure if you're being purposely obtuse here or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if the list of teams willing to move important pieces for Plekanec was very short. What's so unreasonable about that?

He's a player who's production is been declining every year since 2009 and is signed for 2 more years at a fairly high salary vs. his production

3- It didn't say the price was too high, no, it said there were no takers and mentioned his contract leading people to believe that's the reason why. 5M for Plekanec is a great price.

Well people can choose to interpret his lack of complete details any way they want...doesn't necessarily make it the truth.

Complete BS and makes no sense. Stop being clouded by your insistence on Plek being overrated here. Even if he was, as you said, he's still a solid player.
So please explain to me why it's plausible a solid player generates no interest?

I assure you i'm not clouded by my insistence that he's overrated here...as for why it's plausible a solid player generates no interest? Well it's pretty easy, because it's not just about acquiring a player, I assume if the Habs are trading Plekanec, they're not looking for a 7th round pick back. Safe to assume that if the Habs are trading Plekanec, they want a younger player that can help them immediately. I can see teams balking at that demand. You think the Winnipeg Jets are beating down the Habs doors to trade Evander Kane for Tomas Plekanec?

Let me remind you again that aside from all of this, this is freaking Langdeau speaking

I'm not debating Langdeau's credibility...i'm debating the plausibility that the Habs are indeed shopping Plekanec.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if plek is traded before the deadline, the shift to youth has started.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How can you possibly say this without mentioning his wingers?? If you heard and read it all, then how you can say with certainty that it's irrelevant to his wingers??

Pretty easily actually...

because i'm not talking about his production...production is largely circumstancial, a player's wingers, ice time, situational ice time, etc all effects a players ability to produce. I don't expect Plekanec to match his numbers of 70pts when he played with Kovalev and Kostitsyn.

But i'm talking about Plekanec's ability, more specifically, offensively...have IMO, deteriorated. I find his ability to find his wingers average at best, he also avoids contact more than he probably should (and did in the past).

Now please read this...

This does NOT mean that I think Tomas Pleaknec isn't a useful player for the Habs, he's a very important player for the Habs and a tremendous professional. But his on-ice contributions, especially offensively, are becoming less and less evident as seasons go by.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006
If true, an interesting conundrum.

They would want to trade Plekanec due to Desharnais having cemented his spot as the team's franchise centre, but due to Desharnais taking all of the best minutes Plekanec is a 20 goal, 50 point player that other teams are not interested in.
Desharnais has never been , is not now or will ever be a franchise center for any NHL team .

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
just like habs were in serious discussions to sign brodeur
and in intense negotiations to sign bouillon
and now no one wanted plekanec

RDS=Idiots

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yes I know who Langdeau is...but I don't really care if it comes from Langdeau's dog. I think it's a plausible scenario. Forgive me for having my own opinion.
You can have your own opinion, so long that it isn't based off a ''rumor'' set forward by Langdeau.

Hmm...not sure if you're being purposely obtuse here or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if the list of teams willing to move important pieces for Plekanec was very short. What's so unreasonable about that?

He's a player who's production is been declining every year since 2009 and is signed for 2 more years at a fairly high salary vs. his production
I've shut this down before and you ignored it.

First off, in 2009, Plekanec was 26, in his 4th season and finished with 39pts.

2010--70pts
2011--57pts
2012--52pts
2013--33pts in 47GP -- equivalent of 58pts
2014--43pts

So where is this decline every year??? You have one messed up way of concluding things. If anything it shows one anomaly high year, one rather low, and a consistent middle.
So just looking at the numbers, you are flat out wrong.

Second, you completely ignore usage and linemates. You are purposely leaving out details out of dishonesty just because it would go against your argument.
Stop doing that. That's stuff posters like Southern Habs does, not you.

You want to say that he's overrated, fine. You want to say that you think he's in a decline, fine as well. But don't invent things like he's been declining since 2009 when it's not even through and without involving context.
Well people can choose to interpret his lack of complete details any way they want...doesn't necessarily make it the truth.
And maybe it does. It comes from him so people read what he said. You can spin it so it fits your narrative all you want, but that's you putting your twist on it.

I assure you i'm not clouded by my insistence that he's overrated here...as for why it's plausible a solid player generates no interest? Well it's pretty easy, because it's not just about acquiring a player, I assume if the Habs are trading Plekanec, they're not looking for a 7th round pick back. Safe to assume that if the Habs are trading Plekanec, they want a younger player that can help them immediately. I can see teams balking at that demand. You think the Winnipeg Jets are beating down the Habs doors to trade Evander Kane for Tomas Plekanec?
Yes you are clouded. To the point where you don't mention context when speaking of his production. A rookie move here (or simply a dishonest one) from a veteran poster.
The Jets?? Of course not. Why would a team out of a PO race trade a youngster for a 31yo with just another year on his contract?? One that tops out at 70pts.
However, a PO team that wants to improve their chance, who's also in need of a 2nd line center, then ya they would trade good prospects, obviously not a top 6, why not??
But this isn't about not being any takers for Plekanec. Teams would gladly welcome him. It's about whether they have the room, the need, and the assets to trade for him.

So it's not ''there are no takers for Plek with his contract''.

I'm not debating Langdeau's credibility...i'm debating the plausibility that the Habs are indeed shopping Plekanec.
I'm sure the habs shopped everybody on their roster outside of Price.
That's what every team does. Look to improve.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Pretty easily actually...

because i'm not talking about his production...production is largely circumstancial, a player's wingers, ice time, situational ice time, etc all effects a players ability to produce. I don't expect Plekanec to match his numbers of 70pts when he played with Kovalev and Kostitsyn.

Yes you did, albeit in another post:

As I said, from another post, so I'll let it go.

But i'm talking about Plekanec's ability, more specifically, offensively...have IMO, deteriorated. I find his ability to find his wingers average at best, he also avoids contact more than he probably should (and did in the past).
Based on what?? Your subjective view? Okay..
Maybe he has a tougher time offensively and looks worse because his linemates are worse and so, finding them and creating things become obviously harder. Ever thought of that?
It's like when people say Eller can't pass or hogs the puck. No crap he's gonna hog the puck. When his option is to pass it to Bourque who can't buy a goal or Moen, no wonder he'll keep it on his stick more.

Same is true for Plek. Not to mention you might see less things out of him offensively because he's always thrown in when in the defensive zone.

As much as some overrate Plekanec here, I think you're greatly underestimating the impact of usage on his game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

You can have your own opinion, so long that it isn't based off a ''rumor'' set forward by Langdeau.
Well considering I've been on record here as saying the Habs should look into trading Plekanec for the last 2 years, this 'rumor' isn't what i'm basing myself off of. It's just common sense IMO.

The team has a hole on the wings amongst its top 6...to fill that role, they'll have to give something of value. When I look at the team, Plekanec is the first player that comes to mind that I wouldn't mind if they used him as bait (in part of a larger package) to acquire such player.

I've shut this down before and you ignored it.

First off, in 2009, Plekanec was 26, in his 4th season and finished with 39pts.

2010--70pts
2011--57pts
2012--52pts
2013--33pts in 47GP -- equivalent of 58pts
2014--43pts

So where is this decline every year??? You have one messed up way of concluding things. If anything it shows one anomaly high year, one rather low, and a consistent middle.
So just looking at the numbers, you are flat out wrong.

Hmmm this is odd, you just posted stats that back my argument up...that his numbers have been in decline since the 2009-2010 season.

His point totals have gone from 70 to 57 to 52 to 33 to 43...I don't know, i'm not that great at math, but sure looks like the numbers are declining. The one year you're using to 'debunk' my argument is the lockout shortened season where he got 33pts in 47GP...but you're assuming he would of kept that pace.

If there's anything we've learned about Plekanec is that his production tends to wane as the season progresses. So using that argument as the basis of your own argument, is disingenuous at best. Try again...

Second, you completely ignore usage and linemates. You are purposely leaving out details out of dishonesty just because it would go against your argument.
Stop doing that. That's stuff posters like Southern Habs does, not you.

I'm going to repeat what I said, as it seems you're ignoring it...i'm not talking about Plekanec's linemates because i'm not talking about Plekanec's production slipping. I'm talking about the quality of his play as an individual declining. Therefore bringing up his linemates as it relates to that, is completely irrelevant.

You want to say that he's overrated, fine. You want to say that you think he's in a decline, fine as well. But don't invent things like he's been declining since 2009 when it's not even through and without involving context.

Hmmm...not sure I agree that i'm debating this without context. Again, I don't expect Plekanec to put up 70pts like he has because his role has changed. This isn't what i'm arguing at all.

And maybe it does. It comes from him so people read what he said. You can spin it so it fits your narrative all you want, but that's you putting your twist on it.

I'm enjoying you telling me what I should and shouldn't think...

Yes you are clouded. To the point where you don't mention context when speaking of his production. A rookie move here (or simply a dishonest one) from a veteran poster.

I have brought up context...but it's not related to what i'm debating here. His linemates have NOTHING to do with what I think is his individual skills deteriorating.

They do however have something to do with his declining production - I've never denied that and I've mentioned it several times.

The Jets?? Of course not. Why would a team out of a PO race trade a youngster for a 31yo with just another year on his contract?? One that tops out at 70pts.
However, a PO team that wants to improve their chance, who's also in need of a 2nd line center, then ya they would trade good prospects, obviously not a top 6, why not??

Firstly...I used the Jets/Kane as just the first example off the top of my head. Was being facetious here, thought that was obvious.

Secondly, why would the Habs trade Plekanec for 'good prospects'??? Obviously, if they're trading Plekanec, it's for IMMEDIATE help.

But this isn't about not being any takers for Plekanec. Teams would gladly welcome him. It's about whether they have the room, the need, and the assets to trade for him.

Agreed...and I've also said this. So what's the issue here?

So it's not ''there are no takers for Plek with his contract''.

Fine lol...i'm not here to argue semantics with you

I'm sure the habs shopped everybody on their roster outside of Price.
That's what every team does. Look to improve

Ummmm...ok??? So if you're sure the Habs have shopped everyone on their roster outside of Price, then why does me thinking this 'rumor' from Langdeau being plausible, so outlandish to you???

You're not making any sense here...on one hand, you decided to engage me for saying this 'rumor' is plausible, but on the other hand, you acknowledge that the Habs have probably shopped everyone on their roster

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Yes you did, albeit in another post:

So I posted that I expect Plekanec to match his production of 70pts?? Where did I do that?

I think you see what you want to see...

As I said, from another post, so I'll let it go.

Well what you wrote in that other post (his production) supports what I said, that his production has been in decline. Going from 70pts to 57pts to 52pts to 33pts to 43pts is a decline. It's not an increase..

Based on what?? Your subjective view? Okay..
Maybe he has a tougher time offensively and looks worse because his linemates are worse and so, finding them and creating things become obviously harder. Ever thought of that?
It's like when people say Eller can't pass or hogs the puck. No crap he's gonna hog the puck. When his option is to pass it to Bourque who can't buy a goal or Moen, no wonder he'll keep it on his stick more

Again...as it relates to Plekanec's linemates.

- Yes I think his constant changing linemates and role on the team has largely affected his ability to produce points for the Habs. I'm not arguing this

- One thing you're ignoring though, is that he's just as much responsible for having different linemates as they are. Make any excuse you want, but many of this teams scoring wingers have had trouble finding any chemistry with Plekanec...whether that's Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher or Vanek last year. It's been a struggle for any winger to find chemistry with Plekanec other than Gionta

You choose to put that entire blame on those wingers and absolve Plekanec of all responsibility.

I don't play favorites...I call it how I see it.

it's not entirely his fault, but he's also responsible for some of it.

Same is true for Plek. Not to mention you might see less things out of him offensively because he's always thrown in when in the defensive zone.

I personally think he'd be better served playing in a strictly defensive role...no more PP. He would be able to be more consistent throughout an entire season with a more defined role. As things stand, he's asked to do too much.

Tough even strength minutes, PP2 time, PK1 time, 4 on 4, 3 on 4, etc, etc...

As much as some overrate Plekanec here, I think you're greatly underestimating the impact of usage on his game

Quite the opposite...I just would prefer if he had a more defined role. He's a VERY important player for the Habs. But as things stand right now, with the way they use him, he's pretty much got no gas in the tank by game 50-60

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Quite the opposite...I just would prefer if he had a more defined role. He's a VERY important player for the Habs. But as things stand right now, with the way they use him, he's pretty much got no gas in the tank by game 50-60

Umm yeah no gas, that's why he shut down the Krecji line vs the Bruins?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Umm yeah no gas, that's why he shut down the Krecji line vs the Bruins?

Again lol...Plekanec isn't SOLELY responsible for shutting down other players.

It was a team effort

Furthermore, i'm pretty sure Plekanec's line went up against Bergeron's line for the most part during the playoffs

But this is besides the point...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad