Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We didn't need a second line center for a playoff run. We needed a second line center period. It was our #1 team need long term. Little's career is over. We spent first round pick acquiring Stastney, then Hayes to fill that spot and then we acquired Stastney again this year as a rental 2nd line C. If we didn't have PLD we'd need to bring someone in through free agency to fill that hole or continue to trade away assets for short term fixes until we hope that Perfetti could fill that role in 3 years time... Just as Scheifele hits UFA. Laine for PLD is a win for us long term.

Meanwhile on D we have blue chip prospects coming in Heinola, Samberg and Stanley, etc.

Chevy tried to grab a Dman at the deadline but no good Dmen were pure rentals this year and with the expansion draft you can't justify paying extra for a guy with term. If we added a top 4 D at the deadline than that would have been great but I want no part of a 1st for Savard. I'm not moving Perfetti or Heinola or Samberg for a rental. That talk is just insane. If someone wanted a 1st and Torgerson and Lundmark that's one thing, but I'd be furious if we moved a blue chipper.

Would have been nice to grab an Oleksiak, but ultimately him, Ekholm, Manson, etc didn't get traded.

Mostly agree, but I think you are glossing over our need for D. Heinola is a very strong prospect. I'm not sure if he qualifies as a 'blue chipper' or not. Close though. Samberg and Stanley, I would not call 'blue chippers'. Stanley has looked good sheltered on the 3rd pair. Samberg hasn't played an NHL game yet. He has been looking good in the AHL lately after having gone through a weak spell.

We need at least 1 top pairing Dman, maybe 2. It is every bit as great a need as was our need for a 2C.

Reactions: Orrrules

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
From the Stats Column -- their analysis shows it as a lose-lose, or at least not a win-win or win-lose, for now anyway.

E0to5o2UYAonotb

What's GS and GSVA?

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
It was stated several times by insiders that Chevy had been trying to land a Dman in exchange for Laine. He circled back to CBJ when that didn't pan out.
Hmmm I remember hearing the insider's say we needed that top dman not that Chevy was actually willing to pay the price. He had no trouble pulling the trigger for Hayes and Stastny before that so what was the excuse this time?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't sign Dubois long term. The QO is too high. Imo he needs to prove alot over the next year or you move (dump) him.

A little early to conclude that. Might hold off on the extension until next season though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hmmm I remember hearing the insider's say we needed that top dman not that Chevy was actually willing to pay the price. He had no trouble pulling the trigger for Hayes and Stastny before that so what was the excuse this time?

We are talking different things here. One is the Laine/PLD trade, the other is the TD.

The TD, I think it started with Chevy not being willing to pay the price, especially considering the XD ramifications and then moved on to the interesting D men not being available anyway.

The Laine, Roslovic/PLD trade, he tried for a top pair Dman. couldn't get one. Took PLD.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
A little early to conclude that. Might hold off on the extension until next season though.

Agreed. 56 game sample is small, just over a normal half season. PLD is the youngest player on our normal roster, kid has room to grow still without doubt......not to mention he’s coming off a turbulent season. I want to see him after a normal summer, TC and full season next year......trying to conclude anything before then is way too premature.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

There's a downside and an upside to this situation. After his season if we sign him long term this summer before next season starts he likely comes relatively cheap. The QO is $6mil I believe. So on a long term deal you might be looking at Ehlers or Scheifele money, maybe a bit more. $6.5m might get it done over 6 years.

If you wait and he has a blow up season, maybe him and Ehlers play together next year. Maybe Perfetti or Vesalainen makes it onto his left wing and they just light it up. Maybe he gets 70 points, maybe they blow up and he gets 80+. Then you are likely looking at significantly more money to lock up PLD longterm. Kids got skill and with a full training camp and some practice time and settling into Winnipeg a bit more he has the potential to really boom. If we manage to make playoffs next year and he shows up there we could be looking at well past $8mil money if he has a really solid season.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP and mondo3

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
There's a downside and an upside to this situation. After his season if we sign him long term this summer before next season starts he likely comes relatively cheap. The QO is $6mil I believe. So on a long term deal you might be looking at Ehlers or Scheifele money, maybe a bit more. $6.5m might get it done over 6 years.

If you wait and he has a blow up season, maybe him and Ehlers play together next year. Maybe Perfetti or Vesalainen makes it onto his left wing and they just light it up. Maybe he gets 70 points, maybe they blow up and he gets 80+. Then you are likely looking at significantly more money to lock up PLD longterm. Kids got skill and with a full training camp and some practice time and settling into Winnipeg a bit more he has the potential to really boom. If we manage to make playoffs next year and he shows up there we could be looking at well past $8mil money if he has a really solid season.
He's got 20 points

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well how do you defend that? It's not impressive.
But more likely an aberration than not. It’s probably better for them to get a cheaper deal by leveraging this down season, knowing his game is more than likely to return to his previous level or more probably higher.

Reactions: Jet and mondo3

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Like I said there is a risk to that. If he has a good year then you are likely looking at north of $8mil a season long term.
If he is worth it, good. Pay him what he is worth. I'm sure he would sign a reasonable contract to stay where his parents live and he gets to play with skilled players and for a coach that doesn't berate him on the bench.
You don't sign PLD long term after a season like he has had this year. If he scores 65-70 points as our 2C next season, pay him.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he is worth it, good. Pay him what he is worth. I'm sure he would sign a reasonable contract to stay where his parents live and he gets to play with skilled players and for a coach that doesn't berate him on the bench.
You don't sign PLD long term after a season like he has had this year. If he scores 65-70 points as our 2C next season, pay him.

You can probably get him for much cheaper this summer than you will next summer. A 45-55 point 2C for around $6m is probably not a bad contract long term, that's about average relative to the current cap for that position and production, maybe a little bit high. Unless you think he bombs next year too.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
You can probably get him for much cheaper this summer than you will next summer. A 45-55 point 2C for around $6m is probably not a bad contract long term, that's about average relative to the current cap for that position and production, maybe a little bit high. Unless you think he bombs next year too.
It's difficult to say. We already saw salaries drop this summer, another year of empty barns could mean a drop in cap.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
So get him cheaper after a down year, banking on him likely returning to at least his previous form (it’s not like he suddenly forgot how to hockey), or risk having him have a bounce back season + and have it cost you plenty more.
I don’t see the risk at signing him at mid level 2C money long term. I’d take the bet I’m likely to come out ahead on that deal.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's difficult to say. We already saw salaries drop this summer, another year of empty barns could mean a drop in cap.

It's pretty likely the NHL can play with full arena's by next October. People attending will likely need proof of vaccination but you can damn near guarantee that the NHL won't start until they can do it.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad