Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It just all depends on how much it takes. If he insists on something North of his QO, I'd hesitate. If he would accept 6 mil x 5-8 years, I'd lock him up.

He is another case of having been given a 2 year show-me contract and having failed to 'show-me' in that 1st year.

yea I am not suggesting a rush to an over pay for sure but if value can be had by buying low and in the middle of Covid impact then perhaps its a play.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It might - and it might not. It could do exactly the opposite of that.
Do you expect him to sign for 5 mil this off-season? It might take 7+. Does that save us 2-3 mil? Maybe it takes 6.5 and we get a 5 mil player.

We don't know how much it will take to sign him this off-season. We don't know how much it will cost to sign him next off-season. We don't know how much he is worth, or how much he will be worth. So in a complete information vacuum, go ahead and sign him for an unknown amount over an unknown term. :sarcasm:
Chevy needs to play the hand out with PLD and that includes signing him long term IMO. He traded the Jets highest 2.0 draft pick for him and is all in. Both main pieces of that trade have struggled PLD far less so. People are way to quick to jump ship on young players. Not saying you specifically but everyone wants to rush young players into the lineup and then dump on them when they don’t produce at a mid prime level.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Chevy needs to play the hand out with PLD and that includes signing him long term IMO. He traded the Jets highest 2.0 draft pick for him and is all in. Both main pieces of that trade have struggled PLD far less so. People are way to quick to jump ship on young players. Not saying you specifically but everyone wants to rush young players into the lineup and then dump on them when they don’t produce at a mid prime level.
aren't you the one who's always suggesting we trade for veterans for our bottom 6 instead of giving our young players a chance? Because that's how Joe Sakic and Colorado roll? He traded our highest pick and we got out of one deal that was looking like it was a run-away to a cap mess, we can't make the same mistake with Dubois when frankly he's not producing and with covid prices he should just sign a team friendly deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think they are just using the transition rules as a baseline as it applies to all contracts at the end of next year as well. 120% of the AVV or the final contract years salary.

I checked out several QO's for players whose contracts are expiring. They all followed the previous, normal patter according to CF. The last year's salary x 100% or x 105%.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
yea I am not suggesting a rush to an over pay for sure but if value can be had by buying low and in the middle of Covid impact then perhaps its a play.

Yeah, I'm sure Chevy will talk to his agent. If everybody's expectations are reasonable and the numbers are close, I expect something will get done. Otherwise, not.

I don't see it as an imperative to get done this year. Nice, but not necessary.

Reactions: GNP and ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Sure, sign him this off-season if the numbers work. But don't if they don't. If it has to wait a year, it is still a normal kind of a process.

PLD has been a little disappointing but he is still only 22 and has shown flashes of brilliance. He has also appeared to lack finish. But it is OK if he is more playmaker than goalscorer. I want to see more before I can decide what he is worth. That is the problem.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
aren't you the one who's always suggesting we trade for veterans for our bottom 6 instead of giving our young players a chance? Because that's how Joe Sakic and Colorado roll? He traded our highest pick and we got out of one deal that was looking like it was a run-away to a cap mess, we can't make the same mistake with Dubois when frankly he's not producing and with covid prices he should just sign a team friendly deal.
Yup. Because I believe the best organizations let their kids develop as much as possible before putting them into an NHL lineup. It is also a bit of a pet peeve of mine how so many argue that prospects need to be in the NHL but then seem to be the first to turn on them when they don’t play like they are in mid prime.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I checked out several QO's for players whose contracts are expiring. They all followed the previous, normal patter according to CF. The last year's salary x 100% or x 105%.

I'm guessing CF hasn't applied the transition rules to their calculator as this comes directly from the league. And likely because it creates 2 different numbers that teams can QO. Sounds like teams can QO whatever the lowest number of the two is because of the flat cap.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Those insiders also reported that the ask for a top dman was a 1st and Heinola, and that's top dman by trade deadline standards and not actual level of play standards.
So Laine and Roslovic couldn't get him a Dman, throw in a pick if you have, no excuse for not getting a deal done.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
legit top pairing, or even top4d at good age and/or contracts are hard to come by. other than D.Toews this past off-season really no1 who moves the needle has been moved (unless im forgetting a name here).

One the could play in the top 4, which would be just about anybody available.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
He might be saving all his goals for the post season :nod:

0 in the last 14
4 in the past 30

Reactions: sipowicz

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think PLD's play has been disappointing this season. He certainly shows flashes of high end talent and vision, and he's strong defensively. But he he seems to lack stamina. I wonder if he just hasn't trained enough in the past off-season, and just hasn't been in good condition. He also doesn't seem to play a style that suits the Jets wingers, so he's not generated secondary offense. I actually think he would be very effective with a player like Perfetti, who can play a really smart game that creates and uses space on the ice with quick passes and beating one player one-one-one. Perfetti looks like he'll be ready by next season, but maybe better to start on the wing with a C like PLD to create secondary scoring

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I think PLD's play has been disappointing this season. He certainly shows flashes of high end talent and vision, and he's strong defensively. But he he seems to lack stamina. I wonder if he just hasn't trained enough in the past off-season, and just hasn't been in good condition. He also doesn't seem to play a style that suits the Jets wingers, so he's not generated secondary offense. I actually think he would be very effective with a player like Perfetti, who can play a really smart game that creates and uses space on the ice with quick passes and beating one player one-one-one. Perfetti looks like he'll be ready by next season, but maybe better to start on the wing with a C like PLD to create secondary scoring
He was great with the Jackets. It’s clearly a Jets system issue. He’s either not comfortable with how it’s being run and not playing to his skill set. I’d fully expect him to be back to his old self next year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He was great with the Jackets. It’s clearly a Jets system issue. He’s either not comfortable with how it’s being run and not playing to his skill set. I’d fully expect him to be back to his old self next year.
I have high expectations. I think it's partly system, partly linemates, partly his own conditioning / readiness to play. If he's willing to commit long term, I'd be fine with paying a bit above his current play level, anticipating that he'll be much better once he settles in.

Next year...

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Perfetti-PLD- Wheeler

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd like to see PLD between Perfetti and Ehlers...

KC Scheif Copper
Perfetti PLD Ehlers
Stastny Lowry Wheeler
MP Hark Apples

Reactions: BatVader

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He has been disappointing, after the first 20 games or so where he looked like the player he was advertised. However considering how Laine is playing I am glad to still have made this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad