Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wonder how high in the hierarchy of negative outcomes for the Jets this season you would rank the inability of PLD to become an impact player for this team?
It’s really a shame that he hasn’t been able to deliver yet, though time is definitely on his side and a new coach could be huge for him.

I think if Wheeler, Scheif and Morrissey would get their heads out of their asses then others would follow their lead. Expecting PLD to save the season when the core vets on the team are sleepwalking isn't really fair to him is it? Ehlers has been the main brightspot in our top 6 and you can't really win with just one player going. Connor was having a solid season but ever since Ehlers went out all the sudden he's dog shit.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
gosh this whole "team sucks so it's ok PLD sucks" shit is garbage. lowest hanging fruit to absolve of PLD of his underwhelming play. guy has played a majority of the year with 2 of our best Fwds in Ehlers and Connor, and then Scheifele. His trade is costing us 6.75M and he's not showing up. He deserves critcism similar to other plays in the past have ie Laine, KC, Wheeler etc

there's players playing well on this team this year. there's player playing well on garbage teams all the time.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
When Laine was here he was basically a complete one trick pony. I know people hate hearing it but outside of a good shot he was a far inferior player to PLD. Never won board battles, inconsistent as hell with his physical play, not engaged at all in any zone and just floated around the offence zone waiting for a pass. The last game he played with us was probably the best game he played in almost a year and I think that game is the Laine people remember. Not the horribly inconsistent scorer who was useless almost everywhere else on the ice.
has pld been good offensively? no, has his d play made up for the lack of offense? no, he also loses a ton of board battle's and blindly throws passes to the middle of the ice when nobody is around. He has many of the same problems that laine had and for someone that is alot faster and stronger it seems concerning to say the least

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
has pld been good offensively? no, has his d play made up for the lack of offense? no, he also loses a ton of board battle's and blindly throws passes to the middle of the ice when nobody is around. He has many of the same problems that laine had and for someone that is alot faster and stronger it seems concerning to say the least
Laine is a one trick pony. Does pld even have a trick? He gets what 0.5 hit more per game than Laine as a Jet or something. Whoppedeedoo.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
I think if Wheeler, Scheif and Morrissey would get their heads out of their asses then others would follow their lead. Expecting PLD to save the season when the core vets on the team are sleepwalking isn't really fair to him is it? Ehlers has been the main brightspot in our top 6 and you can't really win with just one player going. Connor was having a solid season but ever since Ehlers went out all the sudden he's dog shit.
I agree, I just think that the unfortunate fact that he hasn’t yet made the kind of impact we’d all hoped for by now is only one of many factors that didn’t go in the Jets favour this year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Laine is a one trick pony. Does pld even have a trick? He gets what 0.5 hit more per game than Laine as a Jet or something. Whoppedeedoo.
it's funny too because if you take a look at his points this year 5 or 6 of them have come from the puck hitting his skate or missing a pass and having it bounce to ehlers/connor for a goal

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

You could replace PLD with Scheif, Connor, Wheeler and Appleton in that sentence and I don't think anyone would fight it. Whole team is garbage right now. Not sure how that falls at the feet of one player.

ooohh wait I know why.

Reactions: Ducky10

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He's a center so he fills a hole that Laine could never hope to fill ever in his life. Sure he's not playing great, Laine is playing worse. Except he'd have the myriad of people in this thread coming to his defence about his lacklustre play.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
it's funny too because if you take a look at his points this year 5 or 6 of them have come from the puck hitting his skate or missing a pass and having it bounce to ehlers/connor for a goal

Have proof for that or should we just take your word for it?

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
You could replace PLD with Scheif, Connor, Wheeler and Appleton in that sentence and I don't think anyone would fight it. Whole team is garbage right now. Not sure how that falls at the feet of one player.

ooohh wait I know why.
the irony of this post

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
the fact that you've singled out laine every chance you got, even though all of our top 6 have been bad defensively for 2 years now, yet now were not allowed to talk about pld's lackluster play because it's everyone playing bad

That's complete and utter bullshit, I'm hard on everyone. Have I not been saying all year that Scheif is playing like ass? Have I not been saying all year that Wheeler is playing like ass? Have I not been saying all year that Morrissey was playing like ass? Look in literally any game day thread I've posted in this season and you'll see that I call out shit play when I see it. Literally the only reason it looks like I was so hard on Laine, and I gave him pleeeeeenttty of rope early on, was because I always got push back from his fanboys.

All I'm saying is give the kid a full training camp and some practice time with the team to figure it out. Laine had 4 and still never did, in fact he just started getting worse. If this PLD is the same PLD we see next season then I will 100% get on board the hate train that seems to be running through every little bit of social media there is about this team. Right now he's just a scapegoat for peoples anger. But he's not the only one people should be targeting and he definitely shouldn't be at the top of peoples lists.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That's complete and utter bullshit, I'm hard on everyone. Have I not been saying all year that Scheif is playing like ass? Have I not been saying all year that Wheeler is playing like ass? Have I not been saying all year that Morrissey was playing like ass? Look in literally any game day thread I've posted in this season and you'll see that I call out shit play when I see it. Literally the only reason it looks like I was so hard on Laine, and I gave him pleeeeeenttty of rope early on, was because I always got push back from his fanboys.

All I'm saying is give the kid a full training camp and some practice time with the team to figure it out. Laine had 4 and still never did, in fact he just started getting worse. If this PLD is the same PLD we see next season then I will 100% get on board the hate train that seems to be running through every little bit of social media there is about this team. Right now he's just a scapegoat for peoples anger. But he's not the only one people should be targeting and he definitely shouldn't be at the top of peoples lists.
all I'm saying is that pld is having alot of the same issues as laine had with us and don't think people should be shitting all over what laine is doing in cbj when pld hasn't been much better considering the differences in rosters

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
all I'm saying is that pld is having alot of the same issues as laine had with us and don't think people should be shitting all over what laine is doing in cbj when pld hasn't been much better considering the differences in rosters

My only argument is Laine got exactly what he wanted. He was made the go to guy and he failed with it. Maybe now he see's that the grass was actually greener on this side of the fence and that he was in a very beneficial situation and that he should feel both shame and regret for his choices.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
PLD hasn’t been good as a Jet so far. I think he will be and the Jets needed that C hole filled. This whole team is underwhelming and has been for most of the season. I’m not impressed with his play but I find piling a bunch of criticism on a guy who’s been here all of 36 games, kind of hysterical.
Way bigger fish letting this team down than him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
PLD will re-sign long term but I honestly think Laine signs an offer sheet (Florida?) this off-season.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
PLD will re-sign long term but I honestly think Laine signs an offer sheet (Florida?) this off-season.

I think CBJ would gladly take the four 1st rounds if he signs at or over $10,907,736.

If he signs for less than they are pretty likely to just match and keep him.

Reactions: mondo3

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I’ll also add that anyone that can say they would rather have PLD every day of the week and twice on Sundays is delusional. Anyone that hadn’t seen either of them play this year and read that lost could only conclude that PLD is far superior to Laine. NOT THE CASE AT ALL.

Reactions: PhilJets

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If he signs 5 x 10m?

Only Anaheim, Arizona, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, LA, Minny, Montreal, Nashville, NJ, NYI, NYR, Ottawa, Philly, SJ, STL and Winnipeg meet the compensation requirements to make that offer currently. Which is 2 first round picks, 1 second rounder and 1 third rounder.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’ll also add that anyone that can say they would rather have PLD every day of the week and twice on Sundays is delusional. Anyone that hadn’t seen either of them play this year and read that lost could only conclude that PLD is far superior to Laine. NOT THE CASE AT ALL.

I've watched both of them play this year. PLD although struggling has been vastly better. Even if you reverse the situations PLD did far more as a member of a terrible CBJ squad last year than Laine has this year. Kids a complete ghost most nights for CBJ. Struggling in literally every facet of the game. Not hitting, not winning battles, not skating, not really doing much of anything. Dubois hasn't been amazing, but Laine is actually costing CBJ games with his play. I'm not seeing the gaffes in PLD's game I'm seeing in Laine's. Lack of execution sure. But not glaring defensive mistakes that make you question if he didn't have the shot he has would he even be in the league at all. Based on what I've seen from him this year he doesn't look like an NHL player.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

For what we gave up to get dubois and he is invisible most of the season is why many fans are pissed.

We gave up gold for copper.

We should of at least returned a proper defenseman not a 3rd line overrated center that barely contributes.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For what we gave up to get dubois and he is invisible most of the season is why many fans are pissed.

We should of at least returned a proper defenseman not a 3rd line overrated center that barely contributes.

Neither of which wanted to play in Winnipeg. Why do I have to keep reminding people that both of them didn't want to be here? We couldn't find a single taker for Laine until Dubois came about. This was literally the best offer for him. He was that unwanted! And now he's playing on CBJ's 4th line. That is how unwanted he is. If gold is a 4th line scorer who can't score and an overachieving 3C, Dubois is at least silver.

If Dubois is overrated, Laine is caviar. Overrated as shit and way to expensive for what it is.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The way Laine has played in Columbus we may have just given up fool's gold.

Chevy has said this was the best trade available for Laine. We've seen the reports that he asked for Provorov out of Philly and was told no. Everyone saw the limitations in Laine's game and the upcoming qualifying offer and said nah.

I can understand being underwhelmed at Dubois so far and he's been pretty bad this last stretch but it's a whole different topic about what Laine "should've" brought in a trade, one that overrates Laine to the nth degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad