Player Discussion: PLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I've watched both of them play this year. PLD although struggling has been vastly better. Even if you reverse the situations PLD did far more as a member of a terrible CBJ squad last year than Laine has this year. Kids a complete ghost most nights for CBJ. Struggling in literally every facet of the game. Not hitting, not winning battles, not skating, not really doing much of anything. Dubois hasn't been amazing, but Laine is actually costing CBJ games with his play. I'm not seeing the gaffes in PLD's game I'm seeing in Laine's. Lack of execution sure. But not glaring defensive mistakes that make you question if he didn't have the shot he has would he even be in the league at all. Based on what I've seen from him this year he doesn't look like an NHL player.

Shouldnt you compare same year like both last year for both players.
And for both this year?

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Great debate here

For me the difference is simple.

laine has done something like score 40 plus goals and has the potential to do it again

pld is just potential and a couple hits a night right now.

Let’s see if he ramps it up like Lowry in the playoffs before we judge lady’s and gents

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
all I'm saying is that pld is having alot of the same issues as laine had with us and don't think people should be shitting all over what laine is doing in cbj when pld hasn't been much better considering the differences in rosters
laine as cbj was not laine as a jet (for 3/4's of the seasons + 1 game here). Laine was poor defensively, same realm as scheifele, connor or wheeler. compare pld as a cbj to laine as a cbj...... pld had 1 pt in 5 games and quit on his team.

PLD hasn't really been great at C imo. hasn't been capable of driving a 2nd line, and was only good with ehlers on his wing (big surprise). no chance laine gets 10m this year based on his play. and ppl in this thread want to give pld 8m+ for some reason :skeptic: i wouldn't be surprised if their contracts are within 1-1.5m of each other (depending on length).

also dont forget, ppl on this forum, i recognize some of the posters ITT, wanted combos of PLD+/Werenski+/Bjorkstrand+ for Laine. so yes laine is playing like shit on a shit team in Columbus, but posters wanted V high value for him still.

oh and dont forget roslovic is surpassing pld in production this year too.

the best game either of them has played in a jets uniform was still laine's 1st game imo.

Last edited:

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The way Laine has played in Columbus we may have just given up fool's gold.

Chevy has said this was the best trade available for Laine. We've seen the reports that he asked for Provorov out of Philly and was told no. Everyone saw the limitations in Laine's game and the upcoming qualifying offer and said nah.

I can understand being underwhelmed at Dubois so far and he's been pretty bad this last stretch but it's a whole different topic about what Laine "should've" brought in a trade, one that overrates Laine to the nth degree.

Laine is playing with nobodies in Columbus and if he would still in Winnipeg he would be producing if we kept him.
Columbus won the trade on Roslovic alone and I am stunned at how we had to add Laine with salary retained to get Dubois from a desperate Columbus team.

Dubois has solid talented players surrounding him in Winnipeg yet he can barely handle the puck and disappears for long stretches while being completely invisible.

This trade did not make our team any better especially when our biggest need was a good defenseman.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Neither of which wanted to play in Winnipeg. Why do I have to keep reminding people that both of them didn't want to be here? We couldn't find a single taker for Laine until Dubois came about. This was literally the best offer for him. He was that unwanted! And now he's playing on CBJ's 4th line. That is how unwanted he is. If gold is a 4th line scorer who can't score and an overachieving 3C, Dubois is at least silver.

If Dubois is overrated, Laine is caviar. Overrated as shit and way to expensive for what it is.

Laine was proven in Winnipeg and only getting better.
I lost my shit when they traded Laine to Columbus for Dubois.

We got hosed by Columbus and we gifted our players to them.

Laine would have gone to arbitration here and we would have got a fair market value on his new contract.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Laine would have gone to arbitration here and we would have got a fair market value on his new contract.
For 1 year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Laine is playing with nobodies in Columbus and if he would still in Winnipeg he would be producing if we kept him.
Columbus won the trade on Roslovic alone and I am stunned at how we had to add Laine with salary retained to get Dubois from a desperate Columbus team.

Dubois has solid talented players surrounding him in Winnipeg yet he can barely handle the puck and disappears for long stretches while being completely invisible.

This trade did not make our team any better especially when our biggest need was a good defenseman.

Again, I'm not sure a good defenceman was available for Laine, and the types that were would've required more than Roslovic, for sure (so probably Heinola or Samberg), or would've been a Hall for Larsson type situation.

Laine didn't produce all that well last year with talented players. I don't think his struggles in Columbus are entirely his fault, as you say, he's been bounced around the lineup a lot and hasn't had a lot of talent to play with. However, it's clear that he needs a lot of help to generate offence consistently and he's still a big F in his defensive play. His upcoming contract was also a significant factor in limiting his trade value - not many teams would have the available space to include his upcoming deal.

I can evaluate this on two levels. I don't like Dubois' play lately but I still like the trade and I don't think replacing Dubois with Laine changes anything with this team's results this season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Laine for PLD would be solid deal if pld was producing and playing similarly as he was as a 19-21 year old in cbj a much inferior team. Neither are playing to the levels they were of their previous respective clubs. Not even close.

Oh and then we add roslovic in the deal.

At least we got a 3rd back. Chevys drafting in the 3rd has been stellar.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Chevy for some reason thought he was in 2018 and that we needed a second line center for a playoff run when acquired PLD.

Someone should have told him that ship had sailed and this 2021 and we D men.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Think chevy jumped on it thinking he would get a player that played the game 3 in Toronto series.
Not a normal chevy move. It presented itself so he took it.

Laine's face after the trade said it all and Ehlers emotions.

But hey this is Wheeler and Mos team.
Who ever are the top dogs rule, its the name of the game.

Hoping they just stick PLD at 2c and run with it.
Either KC or Ehlers for whole year

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Chevy for some reason thought he was in 2018 and that we needed a second line center for a playoff run when acquired PLD.

We didn't need a second line center for a playoff run. We needed a second line center period. It was our #1 team need long term. Little's career is over. We spent first round pick acquiring Stastney, then Hayes to fill that spot and then we acquired Stastney again this year as a rental 2nd line C. If we didn't have PLD we'd need to bring someone in through free agency to fill that hole or continue to trade away assets for short term fixes until we hope that Perfetti could fill that role in 3 years time... Just as Scheifele hits UFA. Laine for PLD is a win for us long term.

Meanwhile on D we have blue chip prospects coming in Heinola, Samberg and Stanley, etc.

Chevy tried to grab a Dman at the deadline but no good Dmen were pure rentals this year and with the expansion draft you can't justify paying extra for a guy with term. If we added a top 4 D at the deadline than that would have been great but I want no part of a 1st for Savard. I'm not moving Perfetti or Heinola or Samberg for a rental. That talk is just insane. If someone wanted a 1st and Torgerson and Lundmark that's one thing, but I'd be furious if we moved a blue chipper.

Would have been nice to grab an Oleksiak, but ultimately him, Ekholm, Manson, etc didn't get traded.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
From the Stats Column -- their analysis shows it as a lose-lose, or at least not a win-win or win-lose, for now anyway.

E0to5o2UYAonotb

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
From the Stats Column -- their analysis shows it as a lose-lose, or at least not a win-win or win-lose, for now anyway.

E0to5o2UYAonotb
why do they just ignore roslovic :laugh:

but ya, think it's no secret, neither player have lived up to their hype/accolades/production/on-ice stats etc of their previous teams so far.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
His work ethic needs to improve dramatically. Which we've seen before with Wheeler for example. So there is hope, but right now I don't even like him at his qualifying offer price.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
PLD has a real good opportunity to uptick his game in the playoffs. Much more tighter play, less space, and more banging and crashing. Hope he takes it.

I think less space will improve his game overall. I saw a couple of plays yesterday where he used his size pretty well to generate something, I'm sure Ehlers would've made more with it but it was a good sign.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
For what we gave up to get dubois and he is invisible most of the season is why many fans are pissed.

We gave up gold for copper.

We should of at least returned a proper defenseman not a 3rd line overrated center that barely contributes.
When did we trade Copp for this Gold dude ? I've barely noticed Gold on the ice. :sarcasm: :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
His work ethic needs to improve dramatically. Which we've seen before with Wheeler for example. So there is hope, but right now I don't even like him at his qualifying offer price.
what do you like for him on a long-term number?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Any further Laine discussion will be deleted and thread bans handed out.

I've just moved the Laine stuff posted after Ducky posted this to the Around the NHL thread. If you want to talk about Laine, go there.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Laine for PLD would be solid deal if pld was producing and playing similarly as he was as a 19-21 year old in cbj a much inferior team. Neither are playing to the levels they were of their previous respective clubs. Not even close.

Oh and then we add roslovic in the deal.

At least we got a 3rd back. Chevys drafting in the 3rd has been stellar.

Stellar?
Lowry
Kosmachuk
Lodge, Lipon
Glover
Foley
Green
Kovacevic
Smith

After 10 drafts, we have gotten 1 player from the 3rd rd. That's actually not that bad for the 3rd rd considering that Kovacevic is looking like making it eventually, Smith has a chance and a couple of 3rds were traded away. But it is nothing like stellar.

Over that same time span TBL have drafted Cirelli and Point in the 3rd. That is a lot closer to stellar.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It was stated several times by insiders that Chevy had been trying to land a Dman in exchange for Laine. He circled back to CBJ when that didn't pan out.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Sarcasm meter broken?
Stellar?
Lowry
Kosmachuk
Lodge, Lipon
Glover
Foley
Green
Kovacevic
Smith

After 10 drafts, we have gotten 1 player from the 3rd rd. That's actually not that bad for the 3rd rd considering that Kovacevic is looking like making it eventually, Smith has a chance and a couple of 3rds were traded away. But it is nothing like stellar.

Over that same time span TBL have drafted Cirelli and Point in the 3rd. That is a lot closer to stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad