Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Series: WSH Leads Toronto 3gms to 2 #WeGotThis

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know they had this in the 2013 playoffs, but am I the only one who can't wait to see the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs logo painted onto the Air Canada Centre ice.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
For some of the older guys here, this series feels like the 78 series against the Habs to me. Expecting a good effort, but just up against too strong an opponent.

I know what you mean, we got swept in hard fought games, but against possibly the best team ever to lace up skates...period. I don't think Washington comes remotely close to that Hab team. I think we'll fair better.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
we will be the only canadian team to get past the first round.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Caps are not the '78 Habs.

Heck I'm not sure they're even the '01 Senators. Or the '93 Red Wings.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The Leafs went 12-5-1 in the stretch run, 64 GF, 44 GA after the California trip to clinch the playoff spot. Hardly call that turtling.

gawd bless you

finally someone noticed one of the MASSIVE key changes in this team

when the season "got old, really started to feel like work, a job"

we actually stepped up, instead of fading to black.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The Caps are not the '78 Habs.

Heck I'm not sure they're even the '01 Senators. Or the '93 Red Wings.

I admire the bravado.

They are the '17 Capitals. What they are is a team, as Babcock likes to put it, that has been banging on the door, banging on the door and one day will break it down.

Is it this year? Signs do point in that direction. But respect where it's due they are built rock solid top to bottom with elite goaltending and we are really up against it.

Will need Andy to be truly dynamic and if so, we have the firepower to take this series I've no doubt.

I think we are getting ROUNDLY disrespected once again. I roll my eyes as I remember the same rhetoric before the Bruins series. But, they are all picking the Caps for good reason.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
gawd bless you

finally someone noticed one of the MASSIVE key changes in this team

when the season "got old, really started to feel like work, a job"

we actually stepped up, instead of fading to black.

Absolutely. We deserve to be in the playoffs. And deserve more respect than are being given.

They will find out soon.

The time of disrespecting this team is over.

Early90sLeafs

Apr 10, 2017
Taiwan
Stealing the idea of making some predictions:

* Capitals in 6 (but a great experience for the entire Leafs' roster!).

* Leafs win game 3 and 5.

* There's a point after the Leafs win that the media starts to talk about how the underdogs have a chance (because headlines saying the Leafs came beat the Caps will get hits!), and the weight of expectations shift the expectations more onto the Leafs, who struggle to cope.

* Nylander, Kadri, Andersen, JVR play well.

* Matthews plays well but doesn't have a high point production due to Washington shadowing him.

* HF Boards continues to harbour a large population that seems to exist solely to discuss how the Leafs winning would be the worst thing in the history of the world and that Leafs fans are the worst.

* Defence gets absolutely shredded apart if Zaitsev doesn't come back by game 2 or 3 (and if he does, they still let in a lot of goals and need to try to mask it with an impressive offensive output).

* Leafs pick up a key injury or two against Washington's heavy physical game (the Leafs' injury luck has to run out at some point, and it seems to be starting!).

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I admire the bravado.

They are the '17 Capitals. What they are is a team, as Babcock likes to put it, that has been banging on the door, banging on the door and one day will break it down.

Is it this year? Signs do point in that direction. But respect where it's due they are built rock solid top to bottom with elite goaltending and we are really up against it.

Will need Andy to be truly dynamic and if so, we have the firepower to take this series I've no doubt.

I think we are getting ROUNDLY disrespected once again. I roll my eyes as I remember the same rhetoric before the Bruins series. But, they are all picking the Caps for good reason.

they all put their skates on the same way :nod: And honestly we have someone behind the bench who was not only coaching David - once upon a time (2003) - but was also Goliath (2006). Babcock knows both sides, so he'll be able to push some buttons, that's for sure.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Leafs Media Scum:

Babcock "I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win championships. [ the group laughs ] Alright, here we go. "... Don't Fear the Capitals" --

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Leafs Media Scum:

Babcock "I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win championships. [ the group laughs ] Alright, here we go. "... Don't Fear the Capitals" --

If this happened, Babs would legit become my hero.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The Leafs have the highest GF/60 and highest GA/60 with Marincin then any other defenseman on the team. It's an interesting stat, because you would think being a less offensive player, the scoring rate for both sides would be lower. Lot of his /60 minute numbers look better then Zaitsev. Although he's definitely be softer. I just don't feel comfortable with many of these stats telling the whole story. Overall, I'd expect the Leafs to have more 'caution' with Marincin. Maybe a Leaf's defense that doesn't get noticed and hold the fort is going to be of more value over an offensive approach that is more likely to get caught out of position?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Let's ******* do this!

55256315.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad