Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Series: WSH Leads Toronto 3gms to 2 #WeGotThis

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The Leafs have the highest GF/60 and highest GA/60 with Marincin then any other defenseman on the team. It's an interesting stat, because you would think being a less offensive player, the scoring rate for both sides would be lower. Lot of his /60 minute numbers look better then Zaitsev. Although he's definitely be softer. I just don't feel comfortable with many of these stats telling the whole story. Overall, I'd expect the Leafs to have more 'caution' with Marincin. Maybe a Leaf's defense that doesn't get noticed and hold the fort is going to be of more value over an offensive approach that is more likely to get caught out of position?

Guessing ice times in Minutes

Morgan Rielly: 25 Matt Hunwick: 20

Jake Gardiner:27 Roman Polak: 20

Martin Marincin: 12 Connor Carrick 16

Predicting Marincin will be a rare bird tonight, but Oh what can happen in those 12 minutes.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
We essentially are playing with no expectations which I don't think we can underestimate how huge that can be.

If this manages to go 7 games the story isn't going to be will the Leafs give up game 7 but how did the Capitals choke again. The Capitals are the 18 wheeler in the series. We just need to give them the map to drive it off the cliff.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't really get why everyone thinks the caps are an unstoppable juggernaut. I mean their roster is good but not THAT good.

or maybe it's just more underestimating the leafs.

i'm guessing fans will be surprised to see that every game will be a good hard fought 2-team battle.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON

Predicting Marincin will be a rare bird tonight, but Oh what can happen in those 12 minutes.

I get what you're saying in the reduction of ice time and what not... but on the left side you've got 68 minutes ice time and the right side 56 minutes...

Just found that kind of amusing. I don't disagree that Jake will likely see slightly higher TOI than Mo, and both he and Mo will carry the ice time for the majority of the game. Same with sheltering Carrick, unless he shows he deserves as much ice as Polak(who I expect to be hitting everything on the ice) or Hunwick (who I expect to be working like his life depends on each shift)... May even things up on the right side if Carrick is able to elevate his game. He has a scrappy attitude, so it's not impossible.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Have to allow for your PP/PK time. those boys are seeing a lot of ice tonight. Also I think Rielly is on the right side tonight.

Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Thinking about his concussion makes me frustrated because was it necessary for him to be hit like that as the 1st period ended. Plus don't forget it was against Columbus when Marner got injured and missed those 5 or 6 games.

Well marner tripped over himself and fell into the boards... but sure foligno pisses me off right now

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
interesting to look at the regular season matchups:

Game 1: WAS on the backend of a back to back and 3rd game in 4 nights, TOR rested = Leafs win 4-2. (Andersen v Holtby)

Game 2: Both teams rested = game decided in OT. (Andersen v Holtby, Holtby pulled early, Grubauer comes in for the win)

Game 3: WAS rested, TOR on the backend of a back to back and 3rd game in 4 nights = Caps win 4-1. (McElhinney v Grubauer)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't really get why everyone thinks the caps are an unstoppable juggernaut. I mean their roster is good but not THAT good.

i'm guessing fans will be surprised to see that every game will be a good hard fought 2-team battle.

Exactly. Leafs obvious underdogs but it's hardly impossible for them to overcome the Caps

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

The Caps are the deepest team in the NHL right now esp. with the acquisition of Shattenkirk. Aside from that I think most everyone who isn't wearing blue and white glasses knows that the leafs D is near the bottom of the league and with the Zaitsev loss might just be the worst in the league. Ovie and friends can score at will on the powerplay. Add in the difference in playoff experience and it's just not close.

The only chance the leafs have is if Andersen stands on his concussed head and Holtby has bad nerves or becomes ill allowing the super rookies some freebies. The leafs will have to score 5 goals to win a game in this series.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
how does a team make the playoffs, and be a top 10 possession team, with the worst defense in the league?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I get what you're saying in the reduction of ice time and what not... but on the left side you've got 68 minutes ice time and the right side 56 minutes...

Just found that kind of amusing. I don't disagree that Jake will likely see slightly higher TOI than Mo, and both he and Mo will carry the ice time for the majority of the game. Same with sheltering Carrick, unless he shows he deserves as much ice as Polak(who I expect to be hitting everything on the ice) or Hunwick (who I expect to be working like his life depends on each shift)... May even things up on the right side if Carrick is able to elevate his game. He has a scrappy attitude, so it's not impossible.

TOI for the defensman could be decided by the game situation

If we're chasing the game I'd expect Carrick to get close to 20 minutes
He's solid moving the puck and has some offensive IQ

If it's close and an arm wresle he's more likely to be in the 15-16 minute range

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
with zaitsev out, Mo gets PP time, and jake won't be getting PK time.

expect rielly to lead the toi by quite a bit.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Well, I was pretty much bang on for Marincin and Carrick in regulation time.

Gardiner Rielly had roughly 23 each
Polak 22
Hunwick led with 25

Gawd I Hope Zaitsev is good to go Sat.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well, I was pretty much bang on for Marincin and Carrick in regulation time.

Gardiner Rielly had roughly 23 each
Polak 22
Hunwick led with 25

Gawd I Hope Zaitsev is good to go Sat.
That Hunwick number is pretty crazy. He spent a lot of time in his own zone yesterday and was a a big factor in the first GA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs need the next one coming home 1-1 in the series or its all but lost as Leafs are not beating the Caps 4 of the next 5 games.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm just.. I don't know. I was watching TSN's little thing and Noodles says this is discouraging long picture? Why is it?

The Leafs are only in real trouble when they are down 2 goals with 5 seconds to go, in their own zone in the 4th game for the Caps. until then, they've got a chance. I'm not going to be discouraged if we're down two games going back to Toronto. Won't even be discouraged if we lose in Toronto going down 3-0. because I feel that this team has it in them to create a little magic. We've seen it all season.

they'll make it a touch harder on themselves, obviously, so we'll focus on Saturday.
the Caps were caught sleeping - the likihood of that is they'll probably have more jump.
but - the Leafs will be prepared for that (because MY big fear was they'd be caught off guard by the Caps crowd and the rush). well. brrzt. didn't bug them on either factor (even though the rush was more to the end of the game not the beginning).

Z should be ready to go (PLEASE be ready to go).

one correction the Leafs D need to make is channel the first 1/2 of the game not the 2nd. i don't know why they started throwing pucks vs. what they were doing before, and I think today Babs + Smith will talk to them about it.

Andy - for a week off basically, was good. 2 whhhyyyy goals. so those were his gimmies. he doesn't get to have a bad game on Saturday.

Who wakes up first: Matty or Ovi. Will they wake up at the same time? Matty had that chance w/seconds left in the 3rd. He'll need to be sharper in game 2. :nod:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I've always thought Washington's D was overrated because they didn't have an elite #1D like all true contenders do but man oh man they're depth is the best in the league after that. Niskanen on the 2nd pairing and Shattenkirk on the 3rd pairing is mind-blowing. I find our D underrated but I cringe comparing Washington's to ours (I know it's obvious but still).

I wish we had Niskanen to our Rielly, I'd think we would be set.

Rielly - Niskanen
Gardiner - Zaistev
Hunwick - Carrick
Marincin (If he doesn't look good next year/work on himself then he's out).

It wasn't Marincin's fault for the goal against to be honest, but I hate 'safe plays'. I honestly think Marincin just wanted to make a safe play and not cost the team a goal against. But that safe play ends up messing up :laugh: The kid (25 yrs old) needs confidence. If he had confidence he would have wheeled around the net and looked for a pass. I was hoping he'd turn into our own verison of Ekholm, a big defensive D-man who is very good at moving the puck (a defensive PMD). I still think he can be better but this regular season he's been bad.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Underdogs seldom if ever win 4 of 5 games against the President's trophy top regular season best/strongest team.

Odds are very low of a Leaf series upset, without splitting the first 2 making it a best of 5 now thereafter.

Split the first 2 and then split the 2 at ACC and its a best of 3 series.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Boyle missed his coverage on the OT goal, not Marincin's clear.

Nylander was to soft on Williams second goal.

Leafs started to get out of the zone quickly in the beginning, then got lazy/tired.

Fix those things and we win the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad