Proposal: Minnesota - New Jersey

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
There are rumours that Minnesota might be looking to trade Rossi this summer. The Minnesota fans think it's illogical, but ultimately it only matters what the General Manager thinks.
And that is the problem....our GM is a moron. He got lucky with Faber.

Agreed. I don't think this trade is a fit for either team. Rossi is rumoured to be on the block only because BG is looking to get bigger and tougher up front. Holtz is bigger, but not physical, and frankly is kind of disappointing so far, while Rossi had a nice rookie year, and plays a decent C.
BG wants to get bigger and tougher up front, which is code for slower and offensively challenged. His favorite kind of player!

Reactions: rynryn and dgibb10

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
With Hamilton and Nemec on the right side, is Marino available?
Probably not yet, but I've mentioned in the past how I could see it make sense to re-allocate the financial assets devoted to Marino elsewhere while also changing some of the defensive corps complexion. I'm just not sure they need to move him for financial reasons or anything.

Mercer's tough season likely gets him a bridge deal now. Even after adding a 6 million dollar goalie, they'd still have about 10 million to round out the roster.

More likely he gets moved in a year or two after Casey has had some seasoning in the ahl and guys like Luke and Nemec cash in

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Probably not yet, but I've mentioned in the past how I could see it make sense to re-allocate the financial assets devoted to Marino elsewhere while also changing some of the defensive corps complexion. I'm just not sure they need to move him for financial reasons or anything.

Mercer's tough season likely gets him a bridge deal now. Even after adding a 6 million dollar goalie, they'd still have about 10 million to round out the roster.

More likely he gets moved in a year or two after Casey has had some seasoning in the ahl and guys like Luke and Nemec cash in
Gotcha. I was curious on a potential Gustavsson+ for Marino swap, but it doesn't make sense if Marino is needed for another year or two.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Gotcha. I was curious on a potential Gustavsson+ for Marino swap, but it doesn't make sense if Marino is needed for another year or two.
Yeah, from my view

NJD needs marino this year at the very least. He is our best shutdown dman, casey isn't ready.

Coming off a down year, combined with the very good available RHD market this free agency, would mean Marino has lower value than he should.

I'd expect Marino's value to be higher this time next year following a bounceback, and/or because of a much weaker RHD free agent class.

So just no real reason for NJD to move Marino this year. Next offseason however, call us

In conclusion

Last offseason: probably was available (resign Severson)
This offseason: probably unavailable
Next offseason: probably will be available (Casey replaces)

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Yeah, from my view

NJD needs marino this year at the very least. He is our best shutdown dman, casey isn't ready.

Coming off a down year, combined with the very good available RHD market this free agency, would mean Marino has lower value than he should.

I'd expect Marino's value to be higher this time next year following a bounceback, and/or because of a much weaker RHD free agent class.

So just no real reason for NJD to move Marino this year. Next offseason however, call us

In conclusion

Last offseason: probably was available (resign Severson)
This offseason: probably unavailable
Next offseason: probably will be available (Casey replaces)

Bingo except for the bolded. NJ would not run a right side of Hamilton, Casey, and Nemec.

The player that would become expendable due to Casey's emergence would be Hamilton, not Marino.

Reactions: dgibb10

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
not reading through this but Rossi doesn't need a change of scenery. He's perfectly fine, as evidenced by this season. Not sure if the rumors are true but it'd be a huge mistake by BG.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
not reading through this but Rossi doesn't need a change of scenery. He's perfectly fine, as evidenced by this season. Not sure if the rumors are true but it'd be a huge mistake by BG.
Well, it's not a mistake if the return is good, i.e. Faber and Yurov/Ohgren for Fiala. In general, though, i agree with you. Certainly not for Holtz.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Well, it's not a mistake if the return is good, i.e. Faber and Yurov/Ohgren for Fiala. In general, though, i agree with you. Certainly not for Holtz.
tell me you missed a sarcasm thing there.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Why would they need a sarcasm thing there?
because Fiala isn't worth that IMO. Faber will be at the very least an average top pairing defenseman, young, and will be contracted for a long time. yurov is potential but he's projected to be and looks like he will be a first line talent. He will be cost controlled. For Fiala? That's nuts

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
because Fiala isn't worth that IMO. Faber will be at the very least an average top pairing defenseman, young, and will be contracted for a long time. yurov is potential but he's projected to be and looks like he will be a first line talent. He will be cost controlled. For Fiala? That's nuts
He was saying they wouldn't move Rossi unless someone was overpaying like the Kings did when they gave up Faber and Ohgren for Fiala.

I'm pretty sure they only mentioned Yurov because they weren't sure which 1rd pick came from LA

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He was saying they wouldn't move Rossi unless someone was overpaying like the Kings did when they gave up Faber and Ohgren for Fiala.

I'm pretty sure they only mentioned Yurov because they weren't sure which 1rd pick came from LA
Just to clarify the Ohgren/Yurov portion there, it’s because of the Wild behind the draft video where they said they had Yurov ranked higher than Ohgren but thought he was more likely to be available with the later pick. While it is very likely that they would have picked Yurov if they didn’t have the extra 1st, they did technically take Ohgren first so it’s not definitive.

But yeah, I think the only way Rossi moves is if Guerin thinks he is getting very good value. Despite the grumbling about extensions, Guerin’s trades have largely been successful. I just have my doubts that there will be a team offering up what he is looking for.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Well for a crazy overpayment sure. Whew...thought he was saying the other way, like we'd be trying to get Fiala back for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad