Pre-Game Talk: Playoff Series: WSH Leads Toronto 3gms to 2 #WeGotThis

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
Hopefully the refs are a little more strict than what I've seen in the Pens/Jackets game so far, because they are letting a lot go, even for playoffs. If it becomes a physical battle, I'm not sure how much the Leafs can do, especially down Zaitsev.

Kadri and Komarov are gonna have their hands full, with Backstrom and Ovechkin.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Hopefully the refs are a little more strict than what I've seen in the Pens/Jackets game so far, because they are letting a lot go, even for playoffs. If it becomes a physical battle, I'm not sure how much the Leafs can do, especially down Zaitsev.

Kadri and Komarov are gonna have their hands full, with Backstrom and Ovechkin.

I don't get the people that think the refs should just let them play in the playoffs. The rule book on penalties doesn't change. They should just call penalties by the book.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Zaitsev out is a huge blow, hard to sugar coat that. Last game of season too frig sakes.

Obviously a big loss, but Marchenko played well for us. Seemed to play a solid and smart defensive game.

So assuming Polak is good to go, we can still manage.

Without Polak, I think we would have to put Rielly on the right and use Marincin or Dermott. If we use Dermott, that could end up working out for us... if we're using Marincin, we're in big trouble.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
For some of the older guys here, this series feels like the 78 series against the Habs to me. Expecting a good effort, but just up against too strong an opponent.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
I think Marincin is a placeholder like Smith is for Bozak. Zaitsev could play.

I can't wrap my head around Marincin > Marchenko

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Hope Leafs are watching Pitt rgh now. That's how you pick apart a goalie. Also you can crash the net like Krieder

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Looking forward to seeing if Gards goes into the corner for the puck or slows up to let the Caps forward get it first. If intimidation rules - it could be a quick series.

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
I hated Watching Marincin every second since the first game when he slowed down to NOT touch the puck for icing which lead to a goal. Why don't they put Marchenko in instead? He looked much better in the games

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I hated Watching Marincin every second since the first game when he slowed down to NOT touch the puck for icing which lead to a goal. Why don't they put Marchenko in instead? He looked much better in the games
I realize you can say this about any loss they had this season, but don't forget it was Marincin who cost them a win against Ottawa when he took a late delay of game penalty in the 3rd period when Toronto was winning, Ottawa tied the game and they won in the shootout. If Toronto wins that game maybe that extra point means they are not playing Washington.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
For whatever reason the past few games it seems like it's actually been Bozak leading the charge to the box more than anyone else

i think Kadri will take the spot back :laugh: I think its safe to say Kadri will be extra pesty.

I realize you can say this about any loss they had this season, but don't forget it was Marincin who cost them a win against Ottawa when he took a late delay of game penalty in the 3rd period when Toronto was winning, Ottawa tied the game and they won in the shootout. If Toronto wins that game maybe that extra point means they are not playing Washington.

Not worth singling out a mistake, Half of our players have made similar mistakes leading to us falling behind/losing a game. Most of our best players at that. It happens

You have to give Marincin another shot in the playoffs given the circumstances of going down a D man. We have nothing to lose from this series, and Marincin IS technically our best guy to slot in for a chance at winning. Whether he was unimpressive or not the last few outings he had

Darth Menace

Apr 14, 2016
i think Kadri will take the spot back :laugh: I think its safe to say Kadri will be extra pesty.

Not worth singling out a mistake, Half of our players have made similar mistakes leading to us falling behind/losing a game. Most of our best players at that. It happens

You have to give Marincin another shot in the playoffs given the circumstances of going down a D man. We have nothing to lose from this series, and Marincin IS technically our best guy to slot in for a chance at winning. Whether he was unimpressive or not the last few outings he had

But Marchenko??

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Game 1 will be interesting. Hopefully the team comes out fired up for this and catches Washington offguard.

At least everyone got a few days to recharge the batteries for this. Too bad about Zaitsev, but everyone will have to step up for him.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
My Predictions:
-Capitals in 5
-Leafs win game 4
-Mathews, JVR, Kadri, Bozak play well
-Marner and Nylander struggle (just for this series, they'll be better in long run)
-Great learning experience
-Defense lets us down
-Anderson solid
-Washington too physical and focuses in on Mathews/marner

WinB4IDIE

Oct 22, 2007
Ontario
Leafs will lay a giant egg they are so similar to the Randy Carlyle teams its ridiculous. They can't compete in the regular season when things get heated the playoffs are going to make them turtle big time.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Leafs will lay a giant egg they are so similar to the Randy Carlyle teams its ridiculous. They can't compete in the regular season when things get heated the playoffs are going to make them turtle big time.

The Leafs went 12-5-1 in the stretch run, 64 GF, 44 GA after the California trip to clinch the playoff spot. Hardly call that turtling.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

find another team; and dont let the door hit you on your behind

Trono

Feb 23, 2011
Ontario
The Leafs went 12-5-1 in the stretch run, 64 GF, 44 GA after the California trip to clinch the playoff spot. Hardly call that turtling.

A quick search at this guy's post history shows he likes to troll the Leaf boards. I'd suggest not feeding him and just put him on your ignore list.

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, he's not like the regular pessimists who sometimes make legitimate points. Dude's a troll.

Hate that I'm going to miss the 1st 4 games of the series. PVR time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad