Playoff Race Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
On the other hand, we almost beat Boston the last 2 playoffs despite a number of things going wrong so I'm not afraid of facing them at all. And same with WSH the year before.

And I'd be very worried about TB, a team kills it in the regular season, gets ousted early in the playoffs, then next year they just don't have the motivation to keep their foot on the gas for 82 games but by the time the playoffs start, they're more motivated than ever and ready to roll. I've seen this movie before and IMHO TB is the most likely team to take the cup this year.
History tends to repeat itself. Tampa like us is a flawed team. I expect unless they get a free wheeling opponent they will be out again. Boston Washington and Columbus will beat them out fast.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
It is normal to be considering the strength or weakness of the schedule but I don't believe too much into it. For example, the Caps have lost 4 of their last 6 games and those 2 wins were against the Sens and Kings. The Red Wings beat the Bruins (for the 2nd time), Devils shutout the Flyers and then the Flyers embarrass the Caps. So anything can happen in any game as we all know. We have the players, we can do it if we want to, anyways if we do make the playoffs, we will be playing either Tampa or Boston first round so the Leafs better knock off their bad habits of the last week (playing only 40 minutes).

And let's not forget that teams that are comfortably in a playoff spot won't necessarily be wasting too much energy to win (Tampa and the Caps know that all too well). The tougher games will be against the bubble teams as they will be playing for their playoff lives.

Great Point, didn't think of this.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
History tends to repeat itself. Tampa like us is a flawed team. I expect unless they get a free wheeling opponent they will be out again. Boston Washington and Columbus will beat them out fast.

Like always in the NHL, copy cat league.

This is what most fans opinions are because 2 "tough" teams went to the finals last year.

Fans will assume that's the only way to get there.

Then the tune will change when a skilled team goes to the finals.

2015 - Chicago vs Tampa - Skill
2016 - Pitt vs San Jose - Skill
2017 - Pitt vs Nashville - Skill
2018 - Wash vs Vegas - Tough
2019 - Boston vs St Louis - Tough

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

This is what most fans opinions are because 2 "tough" teams went to the finals last year.

Nashville and San Jose were extremely tough teams too.

For us best to play Tampa first, then Carolina 2nd round, Pittsburgh 3rd round and Edmonton/Vancouver in the final. For god's sakes give us an easier path for once please. We deserve it. And Rogers/Sportsnet will have its greatest playoff numbers ever. And they deserve it too for propping up so many crappy terrible market teams.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Nashville and San Jose were extremely tough teams too.

For us best to play Tampa first, then Carolina 2nd round, Pittsburgh 3rd round and Edmonton/Vancouver in the final. For god's sakes give us an easier path for once please. We deserve it. And Rogers/Sportsnet will have its greatest playoff numbers ever. And they deserve it too for propping up so many crappy terrible market teams.

Okay, I don't remember those teams exclusively, so even if you say Nashville and San Jose were "Tough".

2016 - Pitt vs San Jose - Skill/Tough (Skill Won)
2017 - Pitt vs Nashville - Skill/Tough (Skill Won)

It's a trend, which will likely swing the other way at some point as well, or it could be random.

The point is recency bias is very obvious for NHL fans.

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
Leafs chances of making the playoffs are still very good. We need to finish third in the Atlantic, which is where we currently sit. Our only competition for that spot is Florida and Montreal. We sit 2 points ahead if Florida, who has a game in hand and we sit 5 points ahead of Montreal with us having 2 games in hand. So, we now have 27 games left and race to the finish with the Leafs starting the race with a slight lead. Neither Florida or Montreal have played consistent hockey this season and neither team has the depth of the Leafs. This is a race we absolutely should win.
That being said, I’m not so confident that this team is going to make it out if the first round and the fact that just making the playoffs is now our goal says a lot.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leafs chances of making the playoffs are still very good. We need to finish third in the Atlantic, which is where we currently sit. Our only competition for that spot is Florida and Montreal. We sit 2 points ahead if Florida, who has a game in hand and we sit 5 points ahead of Montreal with us having 2 games in hand. So, we now have 27 games left and race to the finish with the Leafs starting the race with a slight lead. Neither Florida or Montreal have played consistent hockey this season and neither team has the depth of the Leafs. This is a race we absolutely should win.
That being said, I’m not so confident that this team is going to make it out if the first round and the fact that just making the playoffs is now our goal says a lot.
All true but matchups can still be kind. It has happened before where weaker teams have won because of how things went down in playoffs. We need some luck on the draws.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm telling you guys, the team needs to be counting their blessings.

The day Babcock got fired, I don't think people realize just how hard it was going to be to make the playoffs.

The fact that they're in a playoff spot at the moment, with their destiny in their hand is a very, very fortunate thing.

Leafs had the 7th WORST points percentage in the entire NHL at that point.

If people take the 97 point cut off(which might be even higher this year) the Leafs needed 75 points in their final 59 games... that's playing 0.630+ hockey, which is at a 104 pace from that point on.

The fact that they're even here is incredible.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

The day Babcock got fired, I don't think people realize just how hard it was going to be to make the playoffs.

The fact that they're in a playoff spot at the moment, with their destiny in their hand is a very, very fortunate thing.

If people take the 97 point cut off(which might be even higher this year) the Leafs needed 75 points in their final 59 games... that's playing 0.630+ hockey, which is at a 104 pace from that point on.

Well yeah, and they've played 33 of those 59 games (via Keefe) at a 0.667 pace so all is looking good for the Leafs

Reactions: Eye Test

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

I agree but there has been a lot of distaste this year even with the consistent effort level and lack of competitiveness. I enjoyed watching the trash Colton Orr teams than I did watching babcocks start to this season.

I’m always an optimist how can you not Be cheering for the leafs. GLG we need 2 points tni.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

all those teams had a serious element of toughness.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Scoreboard watching today

Leafs over Yotes - win any way
Devils over Panthers - regulation win
Fylers and Islanders - regulation win for one of them
Penguins and Lightning - regulation win for one of them

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I'd argue only Florida is our competition right now.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Would agree. With Weber out. Da Habs are done.
Florida will go as Bobbo goes. I still think they do not have enough but Bobbo is a wildcard. If he goes light out then Florida gets in whether 3rd or a wildcard. My hope is Florida stays right with us winning every night til near end. Then we make a decision as a team on whether we want the 3rd spot or the wildcard depending on which way the Boston/Tampa race goes. We need to make that call this year. Last 2 years we had no choice as we were 3rd no matter what we did.

TVs Frank

Feb 4, 2020
My point was that only two teams have a realistic chance of catching us in the standings. I agree that Montreal at 5 points back and us having 2 games in hand only has a marginally realistic chance to catch us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad