Playoff Race Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
With Florida losing tonight, we control our own fate again don’t we?

If both teams won every remaining game, we’d have the tiebreaker?

Yes but that just means we've been the least shitty team of all the shitty teams in a shitty division.

Just sayin': we're only still in this because the Habs, Sabres and Panthers just don't feel like winning.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Yes but that just means we've been the least ****ty team of all the ****ty teams in a ****ty division.

Just sayin': we're only still in this because the Habs, Sabres and Panthers just don't feel like winning.

Who cares?

Make the playoffs, get healthy, and show how good this team can be.

Once you make it, anything can happen. Just need a hot goaltender and this offense could carry us all the way.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Yes but that just means we've been the least ****ty team of all the ****ty teams in a ****ty division.

If the Leafs is in the Pacific, they will be leading the division

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

Pretty sure that applies to us even more. If we start playing to our actual potential this race is over.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
With Florida losing tonight, we control our own fate again don’t we?

If both teams won every remaining game, we’d have the tiebreaker?

We face the Panthers two more times. Both teams cannot win every remaining game.

We owned our own fate before Florida's loss

But them losing sure helps.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
NHL.com Stats

Tavares line brutal defensively. Marner and Matthews line giving up more goals against than for. Holl playing way over his head.

Im tired of it being "the coach"...it's the star players...not playing defence adequately and paying attention to the details.

Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander. They all wanted the minutes...well we'll go out there and play both sides of the effin puck.

5-5-3 since Jan 5.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't think we should be too worried about chasing the WC spot so why care about how teams in the metro division do. Montreal is too far behind (considering the 2 games in hand we have). If the Panthers still lose to even the Devils tomorrow (and Barkov is playing these days), then that sort of solidifies 3rd spot for us, or at least it makes it look much better.
It'd be optimal to be in a position to have either. So, probably should keep an eye on both.

Reactions: Vaive50

member 300185

Its so fitting Montreal loses in the last minute, blew a 2 goal lead. They make fun of the rest of the league for doing that, but now they are blaming the refs for their mediocrity.

I think I can honestly say, the Habs fans are officially worse than the Leaf fans.

That was a huge loss for them, but an even bigger loss by Florida. Lets do it again Philly.

Now we are playing a tired team. Hasn't happened much this year so play like your playoff lives depended on it....because it does.

Back check like you are desperate. That is the only problem with this team, its not d men fault the forwards don't back check. You need to skate back as fast as you did going forward.

Come on Keefe, no matter the name on the back of the sweater, sit them if they coast back. That will change their tune.

Back checking is this teams bane. Its the difference between winning and losing.

Back checking is a mind set. It can be corrected but discipline by the coach is necessary to correct. Sit some of these rich, overpaid babies to send a message. If they don't get the message then trade them.

Matthews, here is a little something about you. Try back checking. Your 40+ goals don't mean squat if we miss the playoffs. Everyone talked about your 200 foot game when you came into the league. Haven't seen it this year. You are lazy and we can get a boatload of pics and prospects for you. How can you look yourself in the mirror knowing that the entire bottom 6 outworks you and Hyman up front.

Same with you Captain. Start playing like you care.

Get rid of Nylander for a D man. Tired of his perimeter skating and giving up the puck. Yea he has more points this year, but worst back checker on the team. At least Marner back checks.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Matthews, here is a little something about you. Try back checking. Your 40+ goals don't mean squat if we miss the playoffs. Everyone talked about your 200 foot game when you came into the league. Haven't seen it this year. You are lazy and we can get a boatload of pics and prospects for you. How can you look yourself in the mirror knowing that the entire bottom 6 outworks you and Hyman up front.

Same with you Captain. Start playing like you care.

Get rid of Nylander for a D man. Tired of his perimeter skating and giving up the puck. Yea he has more points this year, but worst back checker on the team. At least Marner back checks.
All of this is a bad take, but the bolded particularly. I have no idea how it's possible to watch the games and come away with that impression. He's been stellar defensively this year, especially under Keefe. There's compilation videos of his defensive work popping up in broadcasts and on twitter all the time nowadays.

You are aware that we have been the fifth best team in the league under Keefe? Perhaps you should step away from the ledge.

Oh, and Nylander has unusually few giveaways given the amount of time he has the puck. And talking about his perimeter play still is just embarrassing.

You need to skate back as fast as you did going forward.
Besides, this is just flat out wrong. You're not supposed to rush back as fast as you can, you are supposed to cover your guy.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
All of this is a bad take, but the bolded particularly. I have no idea how it's possible to watch the games and come away with that impression. He's been stellar defensively this year, especially under Keefe. There's compilation videos of his defensive work popping up in broadcasts and on twitter all the time nowadays.

You are aware that we have been the fifth best team in the league under Keefe? Perhaps you should step away from the ledge.

Oh, and Nylander has unusually few giveaways given the amount of time he has the puck. And talking about his perimeter play still is just embarrassing.

Besides, this is just flat out wrong. You're not supposed to rush back as fast as you can, you are supposed to cover your guy.
I'd like to see our players pretend they're doing suicides and skate up and down the ice as fast as possible in a straight line. that's winning hockey

member 300185

Says one who never coached or played obviously. You can't cover your guy without back checking. You think your guy is just going to stand there while their team goes on offence? How has that been working for the leafs? You back check as hard as your can. You back check through the centre and picking up a player. What if your man that you are covering crosses the ice, are you supposed to follow him? NO. You back check and if your guy crosses the ice, you switch or cover a point if you are a winger. The other team has only so many players. You back check hard as you can and get on the defensive side of attacking players in your zone.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Says one who never coached or played obviously. You can't cover your guy without back checking. You think your guy is just going to stand there while their team goes on offence? How has that been working for the leafs? You back check as hard as your can. You back check through the centre and picking up a player. What if your man that you are covering crosses the ice, are you supposed to follow him? NO. You back check and if your guy crosses the ice, you switch or cover a point if you are a winger. The other team has only so many players. You back check hard as you can and get on the defensive side of attacking players in your zone.
Yes, only one who has never coached or played would come up with the idea that players shouldn't just backcheck as fast as they can. Full speed straight home at all times, that's winning hockey.

Reactions: stopclickbait

member 300185

Yes, only one who has never coached or played would come up with the idea that players shouldn't just backcheck as fast as they can. Full speed straight home at all times, that's winning hockey.
`its clearly what the Leafs are lacking

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
NHL.com Stats

Tavares line brutal defensively. Marner and Matthews line giving up more goals against than for. Holl playing way over his head.

Im tired of it being "the coach"...it's the star players...not playing defence adequately and paying attention to the details.

Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander. They all wanted the minutes...well we'll go out there and play both sides of the effin puck.

5-5-3 since Jan 5.

This is such a terrible post.

For one example, over that stretch Matthews is at a 60.21 xGF% at even strength. They only way he could do better at "playing both sides of the effin puck" were to get in net and make the saves Hutchinson and Andersen haven't been making.

When Matthews has been on the ice at even strength over that stretch, Leafs goalies have a SV% of .872. Do you know how bad this is considering it's not even including power plays?

And even throwing out all the underlying stats, I don't understand how anyone thinks he's been bad over the past couple months by the "eye test." Like what are you guys watching, I watch every game and he's been routinely in great positions and backchecking hard.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In my ideal world Montreal and Edmonton miss the playoffs every year by one point for the next couple of decades.

In my ideal world, I get to see the Leafs beat MTL in a playoff series before I die. And I don't really care about EDM but I would like to see McDavid in the playoffs.

We face the Panthers two more times. Both teams cannot win every remaining game.

We owned our own fate before Florida's loss

But them losing sure helps.

Yeah I say that would be true even if we didn't face FLA again as no team is going to run the table from here on in. I must say though that it is good to wake up, look at the standings and see that we're in a playoff spot again (by PTS%). We didn't look like world beaters on the weekend but those 3 points we picked up on the weekend sure look good today. :)

We're only 3 points out of 6th in the East, I know it's tough considering how unhealthy we are but sure would be nice to put a few wins together before we play PIT.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Pretty funny that the Panthers can't win a hockey game unless they see Maple Leafs in the stands. Hopefully the snowbirds stay away and they can keep sliding to give us wiggle room.

We've got a tired Coyotes team tonight, Stars Thursday, and Sens on Saturday. All winnable games, but the Coyotes and the Stars are hungry and the Sens on HNIC will be playing like their lives depend on it. Going to need those full sixty minute efforts and they're all winnable games.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
This is such a terrible post.

For one example, over that stretch Matthews is at a 60.21 xGF% at even strength. They only way he could do better at "playing both sides of the effin puck" were to get in net and make the saves Hutchinson and Andersen haven't been making.

When Matthews has been on the ice at even strength over that stretch, Leafs goalies have a SV% of .872. Do you know how bad this is considering it's not even including power plays?

And even throwing out all the underlying stats, I don't understand how anyone thinks he's been bad over the past couple months by the "eye test." Like what are you guys watching, I watch every game and he's been routinely in great positions and backchecking hard.

Yea, it's not really that hard to figure out.

Since Jan. 5th all situations:

Team save %: 87.47 - 31st in the NHL
Goals against: 3.75 - 31st in the NHL
Expected Goals against/60: 2.58 12th best in the NHL.

The slump has been so obviously goaltending related it's hard to figure out why anyone would be nitpicking other things as a cause and even worse, getting things wrong.

The Leafs top players have been killing it under Keefe.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Florida has a butter soft schedule remaining and ours is a buzz saw. Yikes

What's your criteria on this ?

Florida:
13 Current Playoff Teams
1 Current Bubble Teams (Next 2 teams in line for wild card)
13 Non Playoff Teams

48% Playoff Teams
52% Playoff & Bubble Teams

Toronto:
12 Current Playoff Teams
5 Current Bubble Teams(Next 2 teams in line for wild card)
9 Non Playoff Teams

46% Playoff Teams
65% Playoff & Bubble Teams

Pretty close to the same (Unless you had some other criteria).

Reactions: Vaive50

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Florida:
13 Current Playoff Teams
13 Non Playoff Teams

48% Playoff Teams

Toronto:
12 Current Playoff Teams
9 Non Playoff Teams

46% Playoff Teams

We play Tampa x 3, they dont play them at all. Thats huge. Tampa is rapidly ascending tongod status in this league

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

It's not that they don't feel like winning, it's that they can't win consistently. Sabres are a garbage team, they were never going to be in the run this year.

I think people are forgetting just how bad the Leafs were when Babcock was fired...they were barely better than Ottawa.

I don't know what people were expecting with that kind of start but you have to isolate Pre-Babcock and Post-Babcock Leafs...we were always going to have it tough with the start we had but next season? We'll comfortably be in the playoffs without needing to worry about any of this.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Florida:
13 Current Playoff Teams
13 Non Playoff Teams

48% Playoff Teams

Toronto:
12 Current Playoff Teams
9 Non Playoff Teams

46% Playoff Teams

Thanks for those numbers, that's interesting. Yesterday I had a peek at FLA's schedule and ours and my impression was also that theirs was easier, good to have this broken down like that.

The main difference seems to be the 4 games that we have against bubble teams that they have against non-playoff teams. That may not sound like much but with only 26 games to go, it's pretty substantial. And as the Warden said, 3 games against TB is also a substantial factor.

I think we're better than FLA but it looks to me like the schedule is definitely in their favour. No question about it, we need to step on the gas and not take a single night off from now on.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad