Playoff Race Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Tampa has officially woken up and are only one point back of us with two games in hand. Seems after hot starts from Florida, Montreal, and Buffalo and uncharacteristically bad starts by us and Tampa the Atlantic has gone back to normal with us two and the Bruins in the top three. Don't you just love this playoff format where only two other teams out of 7 other playoff teams matter?

The way Keefe has us playing I think we could take the division. I’d settle for 2nd as well regardless of who we face just for the home ice advantage. The loser points Boston has accumulated is saving their keisters right now, but if they keep slumping us and Tampa will be right there soon enough.

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
As I said what sucks is that we could push the streak to 13 games and still not gain any ground over Tampa in that span if they keep winning too.

Need to beat Florida in the game coming up.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
As I said what sucks is that we could push the streak to 13 games and still not gain any ground over Tampa in that span if they keep winning too.

Need to beat Florida in the game coming up.

Tampas just a scary team, its wild how they can turn on a dime and go on a tear like that after playing possum for the better part of the 1st half. Tampa is us 5 years more mature.

Reactions: qqaz

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Boston we face once more on March 14th. Out of 3 games so far they've collected 5/6 points, we've only gotten 2/6. Head to head points wise we're going to come up short regardless of the result of the last game, but we can at least come close to evening it up by beating them in regulation.

We face Tampa Bay 3 more times this season, February 25th, March 10th, and March 25th. They already stomped us once but if we both keep going the way each team has been those three match-ups will be key to determining playoff seeding. Tampa has a slightly tougher schedule than us going forward, but I don't think it really matters given what kind of team they are and have shown to be. We just need to keep taking care of our own business.

Reactions: qqaz

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Florida and Tampa both with wins today, silver lining is that they did keep Carolina and Pittsburgh from getting points. That will be important if we fall to the wildcards

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Definitely wasnt gonna make the playoffs while babs was leading the charge. And they needed a good run under sheldon to get back in the mix which they did. Need to continue it. Need at least 100 points to make it.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
Definitely wasnt gonna make the playoffs while babs was leading the charge. And they needed a good run under sheldon to get back in the mix which they did. Need to continue it. Need at least 100 points to make it.

I think we would have been a lotto team had Babs remained as coach, that's how bad the players quit on him. 100 points to make it? No, I'd wager 95ish for a wc spot, 100 if we want a divionsal one.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Philly falls out of a playoff spot. Florida now in the wild card spot. With the way we and Florida teams are going I think we see 4 teams from the Atlantic make it.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Just be happy they werent three point games.

We may be competing with those teams for wildcard spots

Very true.

What really worries me now is that Tampa, Toronto, Boston are all tied in wins now. Tampa has 2 games in hand and they are on fire.

The possibility of facing the Bruins again in the first round is growing by the day.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I am only watching TB and Boston, forget about the rest of the pack. We are supposed to be an elite team. I want top 2 in the division.

2nd/3rd doesn't matter that much, I want 1st place - that's the real prize.

Tampas just a scary team, its wild how they can turn on a dime and go on a tear like that after playing possum for the better part of the 1st half. Tampa is us 5 years more mature.

They've been beating pretty crappy teams during this streak.

FLA
MTL
DET
BUF
MTL
OTT
CAR

And before that, they lost 3 out of 4.

I have a ton of respect for TB, I'm just saying it's not 100% clear that they're in cup winning form just yet.

Reactions: Vaive50

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Not a good match up for us .... Much prefer play Tampa ... we can out skate them

We can outskate Boston too.

I maintain we beat Boston at least one of the past two years if the idiot in #43 doesnt get suspended BOTH years. He was so vitally important, and so immensely stupid at the same time.

That and Babcock getting severely outcoached by Bruce Cassidy.

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
We can outskate Boston too.

I maintain we beat Boston at least one of the past two years if the idiot in #43 doesnt get suspended BOTH years. He was so vitally important, and so immensely stupid at the same time.

That and Babcock getting severely outcoached by Bruce Cassidy.

Far be it for me to defend Kadri, while his actions were selfish and reckless, I can't fault him for the series loss. We had the ample chance to curb stomp them in Game 6 on home ice, yet we laid a duece, I think we all knew a Game 7 in Boston was an almost sure-fire guranteed loss before puck drop, and that's what happened.

Yes we can outskate Boston, hell we can even out hit in them, at the end of the day that means f*** all! Boston's bread and butter is their special teams, they excel at getting goals due to their cross crease passing and point shots with the extra man. To beat them in a 7 game series two things need to happen 1) We need to limit our penalties against them 2) We need an ultra aggressive PK system that doesn't allow them to set up from the points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad