Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Not to stay with their original teams. Going to an all star team is kind of weak.
So players who leave as free agents to join good teams are weak? In a thread about whether or not players care about winning, your opinion is that they should stay on their teams no matter how bad they are. Got it.

member 298589

Even his slow ass looks like hes taking the night off most nights, especially games 5 6 and 7. Hell that whole roster took the rest of the series off after game 4
Because Tavares literally did take all of those nights off.

Try breathing through your nose once in a while

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
When was the last time a player with an NMC forced a trade to a contender? Or took an actual discount?
Signed years ago... but even at the time the Bergeron and Marchand deals were considered well below market value.

Ironically since they the Bruins botched the cap many of those years with bloated contracts and kind of wasted the savings they had, but still managed to ice pretty competitive teams.

In terms of recent years, I can't think of many around the league that are doing it on new contracts, seems like all it takes is one market value deal on the team to set the tone.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I’ll eat a jersey if Taylor Hall wins a cup before he’s 34. After that I’ll renegotiate my terms of the agreement.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Of course every player wants to win the cup. You don't become that good at hockey without being competitive.

With that said though it's a lot easier to turn down millions of dollars (literally) when it isn't your money and just a hypothetical situation. It's why I don't blame players for going where they can make the most money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know it's sacrilege to think that an NHL player doesn't want to win a Cup, but either a) signing back with a team (e.g. Marc Staal with Detroit) b) not waiving their NMC/NTC on a rebuilding team and sticking with the team are good indicators that some players either have given up on trying to win a Cup or just isn't interested.

To me, up until he was bought out it didn't seem like Ryan Suter was interested in winning a Cup. Parise, on the other hand, waived his NMC to try and head to a deeper team on Long Island that had a better chance of winning than Minnesota (sorry Minnesota fans), but was quashed by Koivu not waiving his. Rumor was that Suter was more interested in his business interests in Wisconsin than in hockey, but who knows? But all indications was that Suter was happy staying in Minnesota up until his contract ran out even if they didn't have a ton of deep playoff runs.
For some players winning the cup isn't the end all of their pro career.
I think only the top 3 players on a team would get talked about whether they won a cup or not.

Most guys want to play long enough to make generational money to take care of their families.

As players get older, the idea of picking up the family when you are entering your mid 30's at age 33/34, isn't as enticing when you have school aged children.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I think only the top 3 players on a team would get talked about whether they won a cup or not.
Maybe fans, but not around fellow hockey players (of pro and close to pro levels) which they tend to know a lot, among that crowd the difference between a Talbot having cups and a Max Talbot not having any is big or anyone that played a significant role on a cup winning run.

But yes, for almost all players we can safely say that winning the cup isn't the end all of their pro career has a giant amount of them could have joined Tampa for 850K a year and win one and did not, securing a lot of money and having top line minutes would be above having a better chance to win the cup with less money and a lesser role for almost all of them and it would be strange if that would not be the case.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The problem is, how does a player determine which teams are "real" contenders and which aren't? Not every FA could just offer their services to Tampa this past season, for instance. Sometimes the only options to sign with are teams that aren't close to guarantees to winning, even if they're slightly better than your current team.

It's easier to "chase championships" in the NBA because it's easier to build a championship club by adding 1 or 2 superstars to your lineup. In the NHL, you could do that and still have too many holes to win it all.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Anybody signing in Edmonton *hiyoooo*

Sorry I’m an Oilers fan and our offseason is going very poorly

we’ll still be a playoff team because the pacific sucks but Nurse, Barrie, Keith, Ceci, Russell, and Bouchard as our D? Smith/Koskinen tandem again a possibility? WOOF.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The problem is, how does a player determine which teams are "real" contenders and which aren't? Not every FA could just offer their services to Tampa this past season, for instance. Sometimes the only options to sign with are teams that aren't close to guarantees to winning, even if they're slightly better than your current team.

It's easier to "chase championships" in the NBA because it's easier to build a championship club by adding 1 or 2 superstars to your lineup. In the NHL, you could do that and still have too many holes to win it all.

They could have offered, being Free agents and a long list could have been considered if they were ready to sign a 1 year league minimum deal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So players who leave as free agents to join good teams are weak? In a thread about whether or not players care about winning, your opinion is that they should stay on their teams no matter how bad they are. Got it.

That is exactly my opinion in this thread. There's more honor in trying to win the Cup where you are than there is in going off to join a team that is already a cup favorite.

Maximizing your odds of winning by switching teams is not the equivalent of maximizing your odds of winning by fighting to win each and every game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There is literally no way to tell who cares about winning Cups or not winning Cups, unless you ask a player and he tells you. Marc Staal probably doesn't have a lot of options for teams that would want him, so re-signing in Detroit is probably good for him. Even fewer would have paid him 2 mil per.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Also want to say, fans often forget that most of these players have wives and kids, and moving your family all the time is not always a great thing. Sometimes it is like people think, that just cause you are rich and playing a sport, you suddenly become a robot with no life outside the game.

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Marner, Matthews and Nylander, otherwise they would have took less money in order to lead by example and have a team capable of winning when it matters. Instead, all held out for the maximum because clearly, they care more about being paid than winning.
What, you're telling me this man may not have been giving his all?

Reactions: Burkeocet

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Money,family,location,

family is usually key. Your kids is in school, its March, towards the end of the school year and you want to make them move to another city in March? The most important time for the kids is the year end of portion of the school year, Moving might not be an option for the best option for the kid. This is why they won't waive. If it's someone like Lucas Sbisa who doesn't have a kid, than sure maybe he's up to it.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad