Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
That's not necessarily true. Some players take a discount or waive their NMC to go and chase a Cup.

If players really prioritized winning Cups above all else, a bunch of them would just decide to sign for ~$1 million and go join a super team.

It's to varying degrees. Everyone wants to get paid what they think they're worth. Maybe shave 500k off if it's a nice location/family situation, another couple hundred grand if it's a legit contender.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Meh. I have more respect for a player that's loyal to their team, than a player that just goes hunting championships as a hired gun. For example, when Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all signed in Miami did that really add to their reputations? If you're a legit champion you should be able to build a team around yourself. Obviously, respect given when star players accept a pay cut to give the team more cap to work with.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yes in his second year.

Isn't the goal to win a cup every year?

He just doesn't strike me as the type of guy who values winning over everything else.

Which is fine when you have a family and other commitments. Nothing wrong with that.

Just want to point out, Anaheim had incredibly good teams for a decade after they won their cup, them not having a second one doesn't have much to do with Getzlaf not wanting to win another.
From someone who's liked this player since he was a Hitman, dude's a gamer.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As a Video Game Artist who's worked on several high-profile games over the past 2 decades, I can attest that it's not every artists goal to win an Academy Award or work on IAAS GOTY like The Last of Us, God of War or Red Dead Redemption.

Those guys crunch their guts out, working 80+ hours a week along with weekends sacrificing their health, and social life. They give it their all trying to make something that has a social and cultural impact.

Some of us just wanna get paid and eat steaks, and hang out with our SO's n kids.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Could be said about all players in the league, nobody is chasing cups.

Thornton and Spezza last year. When Hossa signed for just the 1 year in Detroit.

But yeah, the vast majority of the time, the money is far more guaranteed than a Cup, and that extra money will help you and your family when you're 58 more than any Cup win.

Glory is indeed fleeting. Outside of hardcore hockey nuts, nobody cares if you were on a Cup team 35 years ago. Oh, wait, you have $50k cash to buy this whatever I'm selling? Well hello sir.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Thornton and Spezza last year. When Hossa signed for just the 1 year in Detroit.

But yeah, the vast majority of the time, the money is far more guaranteed than a Cup, and that extra money will help you and your family when you're 58 more than any Cup win.

Glory is indeed fleeting. Outside of hardcore hockey nuts, nobody cares if you were on a Cup team 35 years ago. Oh, wait, you have $50k cash to buy this whatever I'm selling? Well hello sir.
They signed with Toronto. Not a contender.

Hossa, I'll give you

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know it's sacrilege to think that an NHL player doesn't want to win a Cup, but either a) signing back with a team (e.g. Marc Staal with Detroit) b) not waiving their NMC/NTC on a rebuilding team and sticking with the team are good indicators that some players either have given up on trying to win a Cup or just isn't interested.

To me, up until he was bought out it didn't seem like Ryan Suter was interested in winning a Cup. Parise, on the other hand, waived his NMC to try and head to a deeper team on Long Island that had a better chance of winning than Minnesota (sorry Minnesota fans), but was quashed by Koivu not waiving his. Rumor was that Suter was more interested in his business interests in Wisconsin than in hockey, but who knows? But all indications was that Suter was happy staying in Minnesota up until his contract ran out even if they didn't have a ton of deep playoff runs.

Have you ever had to uproot a family?

They have multiple things to balance, it's not that winning a cup isn't worth anything to them. Ryan Suter could have left Minnesota for say, Vegas, and he uproots his family to increase his cup odds from like 6% to 12%. Cups are always a chance thing.

That's not to mention that winning cups with and for your teammates is something that people value. Do you think Dylan Larkin dreams about someday leading the Wings to the Cup? Or do you think he dreams about leaving to be a mercenary and win on a team that is already the cup favorite? If he's like me he wants to win with the team he identifies with and the players he has bonded with. There's less glory in being a mercenary.

Winning the cup is probably something that all of these players you mention dream about.

Reactions: bh53 and banks

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They signed with Toronto. Not a contender.

Hossa, I'll give you

All jokes aside, and they are great, but Toronto is certainly in a go all in for it mode. Are they a TB level contender? No, but nobody is.

They may have gone there to win as Leafs, not necessarily to win period, but that's still wanting to win, no matter how many times Tor loses in the 1st rd.

Reactions: banks

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018
Your definition of contender is a bit broad. Yes nyr made it to the finals that year but much like dallas and Montreal, wouldn't consider them a "contender"
I'd argue your definition of a contender is quite narrow. The Rangers went the Finals the year MSL was added and then the Conference Finals the next year. I mean, short of winning the Cup(s), what else is a team supposed to do in order to be a "contender"?

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
Marner, Matthews and Nylander, otherwise they would have took less money in order to lead by example and have a team capable of winning when it matters. Instead, all held out for the maximum because clearly, they care more about being paid than winning.

Jeff Skinner too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad