Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It's a silly thread, in which players who spent their entire career loyal to a team and putting it all out there trying to win are castigated for not going elsewhere. I don't get it; should the Sedins have moved after becoming such a big part of Vancouver's identity? I have the highest respect for those players. There are many examples of players who were very "interested in winning a Cup," but didn't want to bail on a city where they had established roots.

They should’ve signed with Pittsburgh for league minimum just to win the Cup because that’s more important than finishing your career in front of the fans that supported you since day 1…

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes in his second year.

Isn't the goal to win a cup every year?

He just doesn't strike me as the type of guy who values winning over everything else.

Which is fine when you have a family and other commitments. Nothing wrong with that.
Yah being a Millionaire in Souther California must suck.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
In any given year you can probably pick out maybe 8 teams that are clearly contenders above all others. Let's say combined they have an 80% chance that one of them will win the cup, but the individual odds for any one team are not that good. Would you really pass up millions of dollars per year and uproot your family to get slightly better odds at winning? It's not like you're picking a sure thing. Also, you'd have to sign short-term deals only, because things can change very quickly - remember how people thought Karlsson would finally put San Jose over the top?

I liked Alex Radulov with the Habs, but to me it's clear that the guy is a hired gun going after his paycheck. Not saying he doesn't give his all when playing, but money seems to be a top priority on choosing where he will be playing.
Most career moves can be explained by "going after more money" or "personal reasons" regardless of whether the person is a professional athlete. Players' peak earning years are insanely short - most of their peak is locked up in RFA years, post-30 contracts are not as lucrative and they could suffer a career ending injury at any time. I don't blame players for maximizing their income while they can and sometimes that means signing with a worse team where they get better minutes to showcase what they can do to maximize the next contract (e.g. Radulov).

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure that they're all interested, but it isn't the sole focus for anyone. I imagine that priorities change throughout a player's career in different directions as well.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Edler always seemed liked the kind of guy to fit this description. Mind you, I figured he would buck this trend this summer and hitch his flag to the nearest contender. What does he do? Move from a city with pleasant weather and beautiful beaches to a city with far better weather and even nicer beaches.

I guess we have our answer.

Reactions: Get North

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Meh. I have more respect for a player that's loyal to their team, than a player that just goes hunting championships as a hired gun. For example, when Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all signed in Miami did that really add to their reputations? If you're a legit champion you should be able to build a team around yourself. Obviously, respect given when star players accept a pay cut to give the team more cap to work with.

People hated it, but in the long run, it actually added a lot. :laugh:

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Your definition of contender is a bit broad. Yes nyr made it to the finals that year but much like dallas and Montreal, wouldn't consider them a "contender"

They won the presidents trophy in 15. They finished 2 in the metro in 14. I know around this time is when advanced stats became en vogue so people wanted to downplay them but the rangers were good in 14 and 15. Lundqvist was still at the top of his game and the rangers out skated teams.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Marner
same sorry interview after losses where he is completely indifferent and counting the seconds till he finishes his exit interview so he can enjoy summer.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
The problem is, how does a player determine which teams are "real" contenders and which aren't? Not every FA could just offer their services to Tampa this past season, for instance. Sometimes the only options to sign with are teams that aren't close to guarantees to winning, even if they're slightly better than your current team.

It's easier to "chase championships" in the NBA because it's easier to build a championship club by adding 1 or 2 superstars to your lineup. In the NHL, you could do that and still have too many holes to win it all.
This, people get the math wrong.

It isn't about the cup chasers it's about the people who are willing to play on losing teams.

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad