Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Old saying with pro boxers. On way up hitting the pavement at 5am is no problem.
But once they get all the money " hitting the pavent when you are sleeping in silk sheets" Some guys just don't do it.

NHLers - Not everyone is a Sid Crosby, Brad Marchand, or Alex Ovechkin. Would Go through brick walls if that's what it took to win in the play offs.
I agree.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Danault's new team is going up, his previous team is going down.
The gifts are over, he decided to move on.
I prefer to value things afterwards, but it's a fact (Based on Danault interview) that Kings management had perfect timing and had multiple people to persuade him to join the group. Maybe there was some issues with MTL, but those things usually stay well hidden.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If players truly cared to win the cup at all cost, they would take significant pay cuts and mutually build some sort of super team. Especially the high end players who are already exceeding the average salary on endorsements alone.
A player would be an idiot to do that given they have no say in how that cap space they're giving up would be used.

Imagine McDavid and Draisaitl taking huge discounts on their contracts, then find out what Kenny Holland does with all that space.

Owners are the ones who capped things.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
How would you determine that a player is not interested in winning a Cup?

A couple of ways- if they put location/family over playing for a contender. Ryan Miller did not seem overly interested in a cup after moving to Anaheim, and that’s fine. Also, if a player is marginal/on the downslope but signs with a bad team for more than max- depends on the situation, obviously, but Tatar might be an example. I also think it’s priority for a guy like MacKinnon, but dudes like Dougie G- he knows it’s still kinda a crapshoot but money is a sure thing. He hopes the devils get there in 7 years, but shoot, he’s set either way. So.. not as ridiculous question as it may seem. For some players it’s everything, for others it’d seem less aspirational.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
A couple of ways- if they put location/family over playing for a contender. Ryan Miller did not seem overly interested in a cup after moving to Anaheim, and that’s fine. Also, if a player is marginal/on the downslope but signs with a bad team for more than max- depends on the situation, obviously, but Tatar might be an example. I also think it’s priority for a guy like MacKinnon, but dudes like Dougie G- he knows it’s still kinda a crapshoot but money is a sure thing. He hopes the devils get there in 7 years, but shoot, he’s set either way. So.. not as ridiculous question as it may seem. For some players it’s everything, for others it’d seem less aspirational.

I disagree about Tatar. He's 30, still close to his prime, and this could be his last good contract. The Devils are not a contender, but they are a team that's trending upwards. If they continue making progress, they could make the playoffs in both his years there. If not, he's gonna get shipped out before the 2022 deadline anyway, and get picked up by a better team. He's gonna be 32 when his contract expires, and still has time to chase cups after.

A better example imo is Kevin Shattenkirk. He's recently won the Stanley Cup, so from his perspective I understand why he chased the money over another chance to win. But if I'm Ducks GM Bob Murray, I would never have signed him to anything near that contract. The guy just won a cup, and now wants to play for Anaheim which is clearly gonna be a bottom team for his entire tenure there. Why? That's a question any good GM should ask themselves. In this case, dollars and nice weather? Murray should've seen the red flags from far away.

From Tatar's perspective, at least he's going to a team that's young and getting better, a team which signed Dougie Hamilton and Steve Bernier this offseason, and where he'll have a chance to play with Jack Hughes who should be ready to break out. And again, he probably gets traded to a more immediate contender in 18 months anyway.

Generally speaking, it makes little sense for players to turn down money in order to chase cups too early in their careers. With 32 teams in the league, the chances of winning are too small, no matter which team you sign with. Tatar is not early in his career, but if he so desires, he could sign three or four seperate one year deals with contenders after his current deal is up.

Reactions: IlikeEich

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I disagree about Tatar. He's 30, still close to his prime, and this could be his last good contract. The Devils are not a contender, but they are a team that's trending upwards. If they continue making progress, they could make the playoffs in both his years there. If not, he's gonna get shipped out before the 2022 deadline anyway, and get picked up by a better team. He's gonna be 32 when his contract expires, and still has time to chase cups after.

A better example imo is Kevin Shattenkirk. He's recently won the Stanley Cup, so from his perspective I understand why he chased the money over another chance to win. But if I'm Ducks GM Bob Murray, I would never have signed him to anything near that contract. The guy just won a cup, and now wants to play for Anaheim which is clearly gonna be a bottom team for his entire tenure there. Why? That's a question any good GM should ask themselves. In this case, dollars and nice weather? Murray should've seen the red flags from far away.

From Tatar's perspective, at least he's going to a team that's young and getting better, a team which signed Dougie Hamilton and Steve Bernier this offseason, and where he'll have a chance to play with Jack Hughes who should be ready to break out. And again, he probably gets traded to a more immediate contender in 18 months anyway.

Generally speaking, it makes little sense for players to turn down money in order to chase cups too early in their careers. With 32 teams in the league, the chances of winning are too small, no matter which team you sign with. Tatar is not early in his career, but if he so desires, he could sign three or four seperate one year deals with contenders after his current deal is up.

I get what you’re saying, but at the same time- it can go quickly for some guys, and you never know health-wise (though I hope Tatar plays till 40). If cup were priority I think there might be other offers available. He doesn’t really fit my original criteria in that he should have skills until 35 or so, but either way- those devils couldn’t have been his best chance. I also think he’d be a guy likely to have to take a steep pay cut for a contender, though, so- no blame cast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad