Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I know it's sacrilege to think that an NHL player doesn't want to win a Cup, but either a) signing back with a team (e.g. Marc Staal with Detroit) b) not waiving their NMC/NTC on a rebuilding team and sticking with the team are good indicators that some players either have given up on trying to win a Cup or just isn't interested.

To me, up until he was bought out it didn't seem like Ryan Suter was interested in winning a Cup. Parise, on the other hand, waived his NMC to try and head to a deeper team on Long Island that had a better chance of winning than Minnesota (sorry Minnesota fans), but was quashed by Koivu not waiving his. Rumor was that Suter was more interested in his business interests in Wisconsin than in hockey, but who knows? But all indications was that Suter was happy staying in Minnesota up until his contract ran out even if they didn't have a ton of deep playoff runs.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I held that opinion about Hall prior to last season. He was either receiving terrible advice or was comfortable playing for the worst teams in the league and collecting a paycheque.

Reactions: GOilers88

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Could be said about all players in the league, nobody is chasing cups.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I know for the Sedins they stayed put in Vancouver even during a downswing at the end of their careers as they said it wouldn’t be the same winning anywhere else, as they had played in Vancouver their entire NHL careers. I wouldn’t say they didn’t care about winning, they just had such loyalty to the organization and commitment to bringing a cup to Vancouver.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
at some point in the players life, moving is extremely inconvenient and not in the best interest of the players family. That's why they might not be interested in waiving for a small chance at the Stanley cup. Since nothing is guaranteed, what's the point of making this move? Sedins for example they have kids and family. Daniel or Henrik is simply not going to leave their family behind, and even that, it's a lot of work to move to another city for a few months just so they can chase a cup? You know how hard it is to move a family, and the thing is it's only for 2 months if they do make to the finals? You think it's easy?

Edler's wife didn't want to leave Vancouver however it seems like Edler is going to test Free agency, and yes we tendered him an offer. Rumors around this is that he wants to take one last chance at the Stanley cup? So right now it's kinda unfair to assume they don't want to win, I am almost certain their dream is to win. But factors such as making as much money as possible, hey lets sign with tampa, with with the lack of cap room the most I will get is a 750000k offer, or I can sign with Seattle and make 4 million per year. Every player is in a different situation. Staal didn't want to waive? do we know the full story?

I held that opinion about Hall prior to last season. He was either receiving terrible advice or was comfortable playing for the worst teams in the league and collecting a paycheque.

I personally thought he was more busy with his own eye glass start up. He even said in an interview that money wasn't even an issue anymore in his life. It's still out there.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I know it's sacrilege to think that an NHL player doesn't want to win a Cup, but either a) signing back with a team (e.g. Marc Staal with Detroit) b) not waiving their NMC/NTC on a rebuilding team and sticking with the team are good indicators that some players either have given up on trying to win a Cup or just isn't interested.

To me, up until he was bought out it didn't seem like Ryan Suter was interested in winning a Cup. Parise, on the other hand, waived his NMC to try and head to a deeper team on Long Island that had a better chance of winning than Minnesota (sorry Minnesota fans), but was quashed by Koivu not waiving his. Rumor was that Suter was more interested in his business interests in Wisconsin than in hockey, but who knows? But all indications was that Suter was happy staying in Minnesota up until his contract ran out even if they didn't have a ton of deep playoff runs.
Maybe players realize they have an average of five years to make millions of dollars, and that playing hockey professionally is a job, and not novice city championships with gold star stickers on your helmet winning it for all the fans.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Sometimes, players get attached to a team/city and that is where they want to play. That is THEIR team and they do not want to be a hired gun where they do not feel the connection. Different sport, but Mike Golic spoke about his experience when he went to the Dolphins in 93. They were 9-2 before they lost their last 5 and missed play-offs on a tie-breaker. The Dolphins had lost the AFC Champ game the year before and everyone was hyped through the first 11 weeks. He had said he did not have that same excitement and it didn't feel the same as going for it in Philadelphia where he played for about 6-7 years. Had they won the Super Bowl it would not have been as special for him as if they had won it in Philadelphia.

Secondly, for the older guys who have families the idea of moving them again may not be appealing or worth it.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Dunno if it's accurate to say a particular player doesn't care about winning. There's just more to consider than winning. Family and money for two.

Reactions: wetcoast and banks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad