Players that don't seem interested in winning a Cup?

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Patrick Marleau never impressed me in the playoffs , didnt seem to increase his intensity or compete level at any point

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
All jokes aside, and they are great, but Toronto is certainly in a go all in for it mode. Are they a TB level contender? No, but nobody is.

They may have gone there to win as Leafs, not necessarily to win period, but that's still wanting to win, no matter how many times Tor loses in the 1st rd.

Spezza is Spezza, fighting against a CBJ, showed he cared, he produces somewhat.
Thornton soon realised that those days of points are over, so he started to become a hitter
There is no doubt he at least tried

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Does wanting a stabile life mean you aren't interested in winning a cup? Do you have to be willing to give up everything in order to get a shot at winning a cup in order to be interested in winning?

These veteran players that have more control over where they play often have families. They have kids. Often they have older kids. Having a wife who has friends of years and a career established and kids in HS and middle school who dont want to move. Who is shocked that a man with a family would put his family first or give them a say in his decisions that effect them?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Edler didn't seem interested in waiving his NMC and going to a contender in recent years, as he seemed more interested in staying put with his family. We'll see what he does this offseason.

Edler's agent Mark Stowe told CHEK TV on Friday that the longtime Vancouver Canucks defenceman will not negotiate a new deal with the team.

“Alex has decided to pursue free agency in lieu of re-signing with the Canucks,” Stowe said during an interview with Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal. “He will test the market pretty soon.”

Alexander Edler to test free agency over re-signing with Canucks

but i don't think he's chasing a cup so much as getting the ffffff out of an organizational tire fire

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Thread starts and ends with Shane Doan

Dean Blundell took a pretty unnecessary swing at him a couple of years back for it

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Honestly, I'm happy with one cup and I'll take the money after that.

But Pat Maroon put heart over money, signing with the Blues to be near his son and then taking cups over cash.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Players getting paid millions to play hockey is their real cup.

Money has spoiled the players' desire to win.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Meh. I have more respect for a player that's loyal to their team, than a player that just goes hunting championships as a hired gun. For example, when Bosh, Wade, and Lebron all signed in Miami did that really add to their reputations? If you're a legit champion you should be able to build a team around yourself. Obviously, respect given when star players accept a pay cut to give the team more cap to work with.
Literally all three of the players you used as an example took pay cuts so they could play together.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Could be said about all players in the league, nobody is chasing cups.
Iginla was at the end of his career.

Joined Pittsburgh. Signed with Boston. Signed with Colorado.

Unfortunately for him, the 2013/14 Avalanche was an illusion and they were much farther away from the Stanley Cup than Iginla probably thought when he signed there.

He is a player who I wish had have won a Stanley Cup, because he was someone who always left everything out there on the ice.

I wish he had have started chasing the Stanley Cup sooner, rather than waiting until he was 36 years old.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Lots of people confusing the thread title "Don't seem interested" in winning the Cup with "would love to win the Cup but couldn't elevate their game."

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Straycat

Dec 1, 2020
One of the Spitting Chiclets guys said there are a lot of players playing just for the money.

I think the majority chase the money and if they happen to win a cup then great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad