Value of: Players Minnesota should consider trading for, and what you’d give up for them

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What would the Wild offer for Pacioretty?

Though Bergevin usually sticks to 1 for 1 deals, what could a package look like say for:

Brodin or Coyle or even Eriksson Ek.

1 of those players in a package for Pacioretty with pieces.
Pacioretty's in the same boat as Simmonds: the Wild should avoid guys that are 1 year away from a giant UFA extension. Especially if the rumors about what he was looking for from LA are true. Woof.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Though Bergevin usually sticks to 1 for 1 deals, what could a package look like say for:

Nah, rather not. Especially considering he plays a position Minnesota is already stacked in.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Any chance of a deal like that left with O'Reilly. Neither of those guys move in a deal built around a pick.

I would arguably move one of those guys in a deal built around Buffalo’s own 1st.

Definitely not St. Louis or San Jose’s picks though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

nah

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The team simply doesn't have the high end talent it takes to win and the only real way to get that is to rebuild, which the owner doesn't want to do. So until they go through that process it is likely the team will continue to feel stuck as the core grows older and slowly loses value.

Imo the sooner they start the rebuild the less time it will take as they could pull and NYR and get a boatload of pieces rapidly.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I would arguably move one of those guys in a deal built around Buffalo’s own 1st.

Definitely not St. Louis or San Jose’s picks though.
Fair; I was assuming he meant the San Jose or St Louis 1st. But even if it's Buffalo's 1st trading for a pick before the season's started is pretty dicey. I don't think that the Sabres are going to pull a Colorado and go from the basement to the playoffs, but crazy stuff can happen.

I think Fenton's absolutely going to want a roster piece back for those guys.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I would give up Coyle for Pacioretty in heartbeat probably should have happened at trade deadline.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair; I was assuming he meant the San Jose or St Louis 1st. But even if it's Buffalo's 1st trading for a pick before the season's started is pretty dicey. I don't think that the Sabres are going to pull a Colorado and go from the basement to the playoffs, but crazy stuff can happen.

I think Fenton's absolutely going to want a roster piece back for those guys.

I 100% agree it’s more risky and there’s a 0% chance it happens. I also think you’re giving Buffalo too much credit. They’re a one line team with Eichel, Okposo and Reinhart, and they’re relying on a rookie to shore up their defense.

I’ll be thoroughly shocked if Buffalo isn’t picking top 5 next June.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would give up Coyle for Pacioretty in heartbeat probably should have happened at trade deadline.

Yeah let’s do this, then we can roll 9 lefties in the top 9, 5 left wingers, and we can pay a 30 year old Pacioretty 6-7M until he’s 35 (if we’re lucky and he re-signs).

You’re right, why didn’t that happen at the deadline.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The team simply doesn't have the high end talent it takes to win and the only real way to get that is to rebuild, which the owner doesn't want to do. So until they go through that process it is likely the team will continue to feel stuck as the core grows older and slowly loses value.

Imo the sooner they start the rebuild the less time it will take as they could pull and NYR and get a boatload of pieces rapidly.
Dallas got Benn in the 5th round and Seguin via trade. St Louis got Tarasenko and NYI got Barzal in the middle of the 1st. Tampa Bay pulled Kucherov out of the 2nd round. New Jersey got Hall for Larsson. Columbus got Panarin for Saad. There are undoubtedly more examples, but the point is that there is no single way to get these guys. Plus, the "blow it up and rebuild" route seems to fail or flame out at least as often as it succeeds.

Fenton's strategy right now seems to be to keep his powder dry and wait for his shot. That's absolutely the right move.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I 100% agree it’s more risky and there’s a 0% chance it happens. I also think you’re giving Buffalo too much credit. They’re a one line team with Eichel, Okposo and Reinhart, and they’re relying on a rookie to shore up their defense.

I’ll be thoroughly shocked if Buffalo isn’t picking top 5 next June.
It does look that way, but I would've said the same about Colorado after the Duchene trade. Still, another top-5 pick is probably more likely.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Dallas got Benn in the 5th round and Seguin via trade. St Louis got Tarasenko and NYI got Barzal in the middle of the 1st. Tampa Bay pulled Kucherov out of the 2nd round. New Jersey got Hall for Larsson. Columbus got Panarin for Saad. There are undoubtedly more examples, but the point is that there is no single way to get these guys. Plus, the "blow it up and rebuild" route seems to fail or flame out at least as often as it succeeds.

Fenton's strategy right now seems to be to keep his powder dry and wait for his shot. That's absolutely the right move.

If your plan is to simply "get incredibly lucky in the draft" its a shit plan and if your plan is to trade rape a team then you'd better hope your GM gets to calling PC, MB, PD and Tallon as much as humanly possible.

Either way Min isn't a single player away from contending. Staal essentially had a top 10 year last year and they were still the easiest team to beat in the 1st round. They will have to rebuild, even if you want to believe it or not.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If your plan is to simply "get incredibly lucky in the draft" its a **** plan and if your plan is to trade rape a team then you'd better hope your GM gets to calling PC, MB, PD and Tallon as much as humanly possible.

Either way Min isn't a single player away from contending. Staal essentially had a top 10 year last year and they were still the easiest team to beat in the 1st round. They will have to rebuild, even if you want to believe it or not.

Your plan is literally to sell off any player of value for draft picks and then “get incredibly lucky in the draft”

How is that a good plan?

Reactions: 2Pair and Bazeek

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If your plan is to simply "get incredibly lucky in the draft" its a **** plan and if your plan is to trade rape a team then you'd better hope your GM gets to calling PC, MB, PD and Tallon as much as humanly possible.

Yeah, but they lost Suter just prior to the first round.

Going from Suter to Brodin as #1LD is quite a drop. It had ripples across the entire lineup, because Suter usually plays nearly half a game.

They lost an elite breakout passer and had to sub in an overly cautious breakout passer into his role in the lineup.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Minnesota can have Matt Martin if they want. All it would cost is a bag of pucks.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Your plan is literally to sell off any player of value for draft picks and then “get incredibly lucky in the draft”

How is that a good plan?

Are you really asking me to explain the concept of rebuilding to you?

Yeah, but they lost Suter just prior to the first round.

Going from Suter to Brodin as #1LD is quite a drop. It had ripples across the entire lineup, because Suter usually plays nearly half a game.

They lost an elite breakout passer and had to sub in an overly cautious breakout passer into his role in the lineup.

That definitely hurt them but honestly they weren't just a Suter away. A lot of teams go through injuries in the playoffs and you have to expect to be missing a big guy or 2 at some point. They got annihilated and with an older core there isn't much time to make changes and the NHL isn't a league where you can make quick fixes. It takes years of planning.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Are you really asking me to explain the concept of rebuilding to you?

That definitely hurt them but honestly they weren't just a Suter away. A lot of teams go through injuries in the playoffs and you have to expect to be missing a big guy or 2 at some point. They got annihilated and with an older core there isn't much time to make changes and the NHL isn't a league where you can make quick fixes. It takes years of planning.
I agree, they weren't just Suter away. Suter being out exposed some weakness that he was hiding when playing.

So we need to address those weaknesses and get Suter back both.

Koivu Staal, Parise and Suter are older, sure... but Granlund, Dumba, Spurgeon, Coyle Nino, Zucker, Brodin, Seeler are not.

The Wild aren't as old as people try to make out.

Our best skaters last year were Suter, Granlund, Dumba and Staal. Two young guys, two older guys.

Reactions: AKL

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree, they weren't just Suter away. Suter being out exposed some weakness that he was hiding when playing.

Koivu Staal, Parise and Suter are older, sure... but Granlund, Dumba, Spurgeon, Coyle Nino, Zucker, Brodin, Seeler are not.

Not to mention Ek, Kunin, Greenway and Kaprizov (if he ever comes over) is a very respectable top end of a prospect pool, and players like Sokolov, Khovanov and McBain have some boom or bust potential.

I’d also bet on our pick being between 16 and 21 this year, which should make that pool even deeper. We’re not winning a cup soon, but we also have the prospects to sustain this level of success and continue waiting for the RIGHT opportunity to come along to take.

Reactions: TaLoN

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

Our best skaters last year were Suter, Granlund, Dumba and Staal. Two young guys, two older guys.

The Wild are an INCREDIBLY deep team and that makes them very strong in todays NHL. Their issue is they don't have the elite high end players it will take to go far in the playoffs. They will probably be a playoff team for the next 4-5 seasons if they keep tinkering but they will always be bounced in the 1st 2 rounds because they don't have the game breakers that other teams in the Central do. The team will be successful but they wont be able to win and it will be a long slow burn.

They're in a position to where they could rebuild in 1-3 years tops and be a legit scary team that could actually compete but the longer they wait the longer the rebuild will be.

I'm just saying if I was the GM I would follow what the NYR are doing right now and not what teams like CGY have done.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild are an INCREDIBLY deep team and that makes them very strong in todays NHL. Their issue is they don't have the elite high end players it will take to go far in the playoffs. They will probably be a playoff team for the next 4-5 seasons if they keep tinkering but they will always be bounced in the 1st 2 rounds because they don't have the game breakers that other teams in the Central do. The team will be successful but they wont be able to win and it will be a long slow burn.

They're in a position to where they could rebuild in 1-3 years tops and be a legit scary team that could actually compete but the longer they wait the longer the rebuild will be.

I'm just saying if I was the GM I would follow what the NYR are doing right now and not what teams like CGY have done.

Can you lay out your roadmap, including potential trades, pick numbers and anything else that’s relevant, for how we can rebuild in 1-3 years and be a “legit scary team”?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Can you lay out your roadmap, including potential trades, pick numbers and anything else that’s relevant, for how we can rebuild in 1-3 years and be a “legit scary team”?

I'm guessing it involves dealing Staal, Spurgeon, some of Nino/Zucker/Coyle for high picks, then getting lucky (or not getting unlucky) in the lottery/draft. Specifics don't really matter.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm guessing it involves dealing Staal, Spurgeon, some of Nino/Zucker/Coyle for high picks, then getting lucky (or not getting unlucky) in the lottery/draft. Specifics don't really matter.

I’m just curious how we expect to draft guys who are better than what we currently have with picks that are likely around #10 at worst, seeing as how we can’t really get rid of Dubnyk and Suter.

Seems like he’s trying to play NHL 18 right now.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

All it takes in the playoffs is for Dubnyk to get hot and go on a run. This team has consistently shown that they can compete in this league with the 6 straight playoff appearances. Yes, they've faltered in the playoffs. However, last year against the Jets we were down Suter and Spurgeon was probably at 50% since he was obviously rushed back to play. Also, we lost Parise right after we won our first game to make the series 1-2.

This team doesn't need to be blown up. They need to change things up by making "hockey" trades. Going after young players that have already shown competence in the NHL (Nylander) are who they should be targeting and they absolutely have the assets to make moves like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad