Value of: Players Minnesota should consider trading for, and what you’d give up for them

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I feel stuck right now. It’s a long process, and I respect that Fenton isn’t jumping at any trades he feels aren’t fair value but, what can we do? How can we improve our offense and who are the players to do it?

Mancini79

Jul 4, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I'd start by calling on TOR, PHI. We're becoming a old team that hasn't and probably won't be getting lottery picks anytime soon. We 100% need a young C with almost certain long term 1st line potential. My first targets would be Sean Couturier or Nolan Patrick for a C and Nylander or Marner for scoring wingers. Standard overpayment or massive overpayment will be required for any of these names depending on how good Fenton really is.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
I'd start by calling on TOR, PHI. We're becoming a old team that hasn't and probably won't be getting lottery picks anytime soon. We 100% need a young C with almost certain long term 1st line potential. My first targets would be Sean Couturier or Nolan Patrick for a C and Nylander or Marner for scoring wingers. Standard overpayment or massive overpayment will be required for any of these names depending on how good Fenton really is.
I don't want to be that guy but I doubt Minnesota has anything that would get Nylander or Marner.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I don't want to be that guy but I doubt Minnesota has anything that would get Nylander or Marner.

I would assume Dumba or Spurgeon gets the conversation started. Personally don't know how the sides would balance out, I don't know much about the value or play of Spurgeon or Dumba. Typically whenever we play the Wild I'm more dumbfounded about how fast Zucker is, how many minted Ryan Suter plays or how in the he'll Eric Stasl is only getting paid 3-4m. The other two never seem to stick out from my viewings but others seem to evaluate them as very very good Defenseman.

I'd be willing to bet that Couterier and Patrick certainly are not available. I would doubt Marner is. From the talk of fans maybe Nylander is.. but if they can move out some salary somewhere to keep him I'd sure JT would certainly appreciate that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think the Flyers or Leafs have any reason to move Couturier, Patrick or Marner, and Nylander's name is only coming up because of the Tavares signing. I think they' probably find other ways to resolve whatever cap issues they have. Even if they don't we're probably looking at something around Nylander and Dumba, which doesn't interest me personally. That idea is beginning to take on a distinct Dumba+ for RNH air.

I think what Fenton has done so far is to keep the roster as flexible as possible in the hopes of finding a post-UFA "hockey trade" with a team that hasn't been able to do what it wanted to do in free agency. It's possible that someone gets pushed out of Toronto, but it probably won't be anyone we want. Other teams that may have been eyeing Tavares and missed out might be better partners: San Jose, Tampa Bay, Boston, etc. The Hurricanes are probably still looking to make moves and maybe the Coyotes. The Ducks haven't done much, nor have the Devils and they just brought Fletcher on as a senior advisor. There's no telling what the Islanders are looking to do after losing Tavares. There are probably others.

But the bottom line is we've seen two major trades (Galchenyuk/Domi and Hamilton/Hanifin) and a relatively weak free agent crop so far this summer, so there's probably still some significant movement that will happen. It's really hard to tell what Fenton is going to extract from that situation, but my guess is that it won't be something that hasn't seen much or any discussion on these forums.

And if the market is bad we probably wait it out into the season. Fenton seems like a guy that's comfortable biding his time.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If improving offense is the goal, it doesn't make much sense to trade away your 50pt 23yro right shot defenseman.

No, Dumba shouldn't be part of that deal.

That said, Spurgeon+ wouldn't be a terrible start on such a deal.

Reactions: MFSUPERVILL4IN

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
If you trade one of Dumba or Spurgeon could I interest you in one Justin Faulk replacement for Zucker or Nino?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If you trade one of Dumba or Spurgeon could I interest you in one Justin Faulk replacement for Zucker or Nino?
I like Spurgeon for a forward and Nino for Faulk as an option personally, but I'm not sure how available the right Spurgeon trade will be. We'd need an upgrade* over Nino for the whole thing to make sense.

*Aside from an immediate upgrade I'd also count a player that isn't necessarily better than Nino now but has good potential to be so within the next 2-3 years as an upgrade. Someone like Puljujarvi would be an example if Fenton thought he still had a high ceiling. Dvorak's another possible example. I'm not sure what his ceiling is (he did have ridiculous OHL numbers), but a 22 year old center with top-6 upside should carry some real weight with the Wild.

Last edited:

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Would do something like Spurgeon+ for Nylander and Nino for Faulk.

Zucker-Staal-Nylander
Parise-Koivu-Granlund
Greenway-JEE-Coyle
Foligno-Fehr-Brown
Hendricks

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Faulk
Seeler-Pateryn
Bartkowski-Prosser

Dubnyk
Stalock or Hammond

Last edited:

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Watch out for the devils guys. They hired Chuck Fletcher to be assistant GM. He has ties to Minnesota so Devils could make a splash for a Zucker, Coyle,or a Dumba maybe Niedereitter.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Would do something like Spurgeon+ for Nylander and Nino for Faulk.

Zucker-Staal-Nylander
Parise-Koivu-Granlund
Greenway-JEE-Coyle
Foligno-Fehr-Brown
Hendricks

Suter-Dumba
Brodin-Faulk
Seeler-Pateryn
Bartkowski-Prosser

Dubnyk
Stalock or Hammond
You also traded Coyle.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Watch out for the devils guys. They hired Chuck Fletcher to be assistant GM. He has ties to Minnesota so Devils could make a splash for a Zucker, Coyle,or a Dumba maybe Niedereitter.
I am thoroughly out of ideas for what we'd want from the Devils for any of those guys.

If you need LD you can have Olofsson for cheap.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Very few teams have the assets required to convince Philly to give up a 76 point, Selke runner-up #1C signed through 21-22 for $4.33M, especially given that our center depth is Couturier/Patrick/Scott Laughton/Jori Lehtera/hope and pray for some prospects to make a leap we don't expect them to make/cardboard cutout of Bobby Clarke/Hey, Dave Hakstol might have pads somewhere. Sorry to say, I don't believe Minnesota is one of them.

Edit: For very similar depth reasons, Patrick can't be moved, either. Obviously, he doesn't have Couturier's track record, but he started to round into form nicely towards the end of the season, and it's still far too early in his career to give up on him for anything other than a better C at around his age, which again, if you had that, you would just keep that guy.

Reactions: Tripod

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks are in the same boat. We should trade with each other. Maybe something around Tierney+Braun for Coyle/Nino/Zucker+Olofsson (or some other D that can slide into our bottom pairing or if you really want to give us Dumba)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Lol, the Flyers are not trading their 25 year old 1C Selke candidate locked up for 4 more years at $4.33 or their 19 year old 2C with 2 years left on his ELC for anything Minnesota has to offer.

If you want to talk trade with Philly, Wayne Simmonds is the only player we are dangling out there at the moment.

Nervousbreakdown

Jul 3, 2017
If improving offense is the goal, it doesn't make much sense to trade away your 50pt 23yro right shot defenseman.

No, Dumba shouldn't be part of that deal.

That said, Spurgeon+ wouldn't be a terrible start on such a deal.
I don't think the leafs want dumba, mostly because he doesn't really drive the play. I get the feeling the leafs will be looking for cheaper options to adress the right side of their defense rather than trade away a big core piece. The value just doesn't seem to be there you know?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sharks are in the same boat. We should trade with each other. Maybe something around Tierney+Braun for Coyle/Nino/Zucker+Olofsson (or some other D that can slide into our bottom pairing or if you really want to give us Dumba)
We'd have zero need for either Tierney or Braun.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think the leafs want dumba, mostly because he doesn't really drive the play. I get the feeling the leafs will be looking for cheaper options to adress the right side of their defense rather than trade away a big core piece. The value just doesn't seem to be there you know?
Which universe did this get posted from? Behind Granlund, Dumba's the only guy on the team that consistently drives play. I guess Zucker does off the rush.

Reactions: MFSUPERVILL4IN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad