Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Nikita Soshnikov

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
If nobody's called him Shotnikov in the locker room I have no faith in this team. He's never touched the puck at any point in his career without immediately thinking about loading it up.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If nobody's called him Shotnikov in the locker room I have no faith in this team. He's never touched the puck at any point in his career without immediately thinking about loading it up.

Yup basically all that is to him and decent worker. Otherwise I dont see the appeal

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Sosh plays a little bit messy. He's got a lot of skill, and plays with an edge.. but I feel like he struggles with the timing of the game. His motor is great, but sometimes it blows him right past the play... and when he has the puck, he seems to go off instincts rather then being cerebral with it.

It could be a rookie adjustment, or it might just be the player he turns into.. time will tell. I still like him with our team.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He is better than JVR? In what universe?

He's not better than JVR. But he is more complete than JVR. JVR always leaves you wanting more.

Sosh has a decent upside. I would take Sosh last minute of the game over JVR any day to save a goal.

Sosh also hits, kills penalties. If he had been given more opportunity to play with better players and PP his numbers would be same as Brown's if not better.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
JVR is a supreme talent. Soshnikov can't score five goals in a season. Sure, I get it, Sosh is something more that the stats are stating. But, he ain't a JVR. Heck, only Matthew is, on this team. JFR is a huge asset man.

I don't like this particular argument because I a big SOSH fan. But SOSH is built like a mosquito man. This guy is a huge heart, wrapped up in a wrist shot from hell and not much else, he might be the smallest man in the NHL> JVR is a beast.

JVR is loved by the big three, and comes from Jersey, same as Lou, you think Lou is going to ditch JVR? Really, you ever been to Jersey? Met Jersey peeps?

JVR is a huge reason why the big three are doing this well. Huge reason. He gets signed long term, you heard it here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
sosh is abit undersized but he plays a rough and tough style of hockey, hes a good skater, and solid defensive player...his offense is a bit overrated though, hes no more than a 4th liner right now but like all the rookies he has potential to improve

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
A bit undersized? The guy is a miracle on ice. He is first line material except for one small, and very small detail. The guy is probably barely over 130 lbs.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
JVR is loved by the big three, and comes from Jersey, same as Lou, you think Lou is going to ditch JVR? Really, you ever been to Jersey? Met Jersey peeps?

Lou doesn't strike me as the irrational type.

A bit undersized? The guy is a miracle on ice. He is first line material except for one small, and very small detail. The guy is probably barely over 130 lbs.

Lolwut. The dude hits like a crazy man and is a master of the reverse-check.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Sosh showed a heavy wrister last year, I kinda hoped he would have made his way to one of the top 3 lines but for whatever reason he has really been unnoticeable this year.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
JVR is a supreme talent. Soshnikov can't score five goals in a season. Sure, I get it, Sosh is something more that the stats are stating. But, he ain't a JVR. Heck, only Matthew is, on this team. JFR is a huge asset man.

I don't like this particular argument because I a big SOSH fan. But SOSH is built like a mosquito man. This guy is a huge heart, wrapped up in a wrist shot from hell and not much else, he might be the smallest man in the NHL> JVR is a beast.

JVR is a huge reason why the big three are doing this well. Huge reason. He gets signed long term, you heard it here.

Lou isn't from New Jersey.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

He's actually a work out hound. Might be somewhat lower in weight at 190 but he puts more into hits than many 210 guys.

Sosh showed a heavy wrister last year, I kinda hoped he would have made his way to one of the top 3 lines but for whatever reason he has really been unnoticeable this year.

Only unnoticeable when you don't pay attention. He's taken a role as a 4th liner & played it very well. Martin & he are like dueling body checkers. I especially like it when they tag team the same player.

If you want him to play as a 3rd line winger or higher, play him on the 3rd line or higher.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Only unnoticeable when you don't pay attention. He's taken a role as a 4th liner & played it very well. Martin & he are like dueling body checkers. I especially like it when they tag team the same player.

If you want him to play as a 3rd line winger or higher, play him on the 3rd line or higher.

I meant unnoticeable on the score sheet. His offence has been non-existent.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I meant unnoticeable on the score sheet. His offence has been non-existent.

he is a great shooter, great shooters need a player who can set up the shot with a pass now who is passing to Sosh? Ben Smith, Matt Martin and/or Freddy the goat not a lot of playmaking skill there. If he was given the same opportunity Brown has its very likely he would have quite a bit more points, not saying he is better than brown but as of now when marner comes back brown or sosh are leaving the lineup

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
he is a great shooter, great shooters need a player who can set up the shot with a pass now who is passing to Sosh? Ben Smith, Matt Martin and/or Freddy the goat not a lot of playmaking skill there. If he was given the same opportunity Brown has its very likely he would have quite a bit more points, not saying he is better than brown but as of now when marner comes back brown or sosh are leaving the lineup

That is all very fair, maybe I got the wrong impression of him but I remember him beating goalies clean with just a heavy 20 ft shot.

IMO and its just my opinion he is not being utilized the best on the 4th line but he could be there as an OTJ thing where he learns to play D first, then moves up a line.

I think he has a heavy shot and if he is destined to be a fourth liner I'd like to see him get some time on the PP2 shooting from the opposite wing but same location as Ovie does (around the faceoff dot) , not saying he is remotely close to Ovie but a shot that hard needs to be utilized more.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That is all very fair, maybe I got the wrong impression of him but I remember him beating goalies clean with just a heavy 20 ft shot.

IMO and its just my opinion he is not being utilized the best on the 4th line but he could be there as an OTJ thing where he learns to play D first, then moves up a line.

I think he has a heavy shot and if he is destined to be a fourth liner I'd like to see him get some time on the PP2 shooting from the opposite wing but same location as Ovie does (around the faceoff dot) , not saying he is remotely close to Ovie but a shot that hard needs to be utilized more.

this is why it was infuriating having Hyman on the PP at all, 0 skill doesn't help the PP Sosh sets up his shot and Matthews or Nylander feed him its almost perfect. But no we go with Leo ****ing komarov AND Zach ****ing Jyman on the SAME unit

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For a player with such a great shot he sure struggles to put up points.
I have a feeling he'll end up in the KHL in the near future.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

That's my opinion as well. I like the kid, but i doubt he's here long term, just too much wing depth ahead of him, and coming up.

People can say if he was given same opportunities as Brown, but Brown played his way up the lineup.
Sosh was given more opportunity then Leivo (we can all agree with that) and now Leivo has played his way up the lineup.
Sosh just isn't that gifted offensively, last year was a mini hot streak when he was with Kadri/Leo not a sign of things to come, imo he's never going to be a 20 goal guy 2nd/3rd line guy.

Alfie

Nov 5, 2016

Did you read anything about what people have said so far regarding him not having a playmaking center?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sosh plays a little bit messy. He's got a lot of skill, and plays with an edge.. but I feel like he struggles with the timing of the game. His motor is great, but sometimes it blows him right past the play... and when he has the puck, he seems to go off instincts rather then being cerebral with it.

It could be a rookie adjustment, or it might just be the player he turns into.. time will tell. I still like him with our team.

I think he tries to do as much as he can when he gets the opportunity because he isn't getting many opportunities offensively.

He's 5th. for SH/TOIg amongst forwards and plays with 4th. liners.

I think if played higher in the line-up he'd be able to produce but there are only so many positions on a team, and Babcock seems to like him on the 4th. line. Probably because of his engine. Unless there are major expulsions I don't see him getting the opportunity to move up.

If Babcock wanted to experiment, Soshnikov for Hyman would be interesting. Soshnikov could have a little more patience as he'd know he'd getting an offensive opportunity every shift, rather than anything he makes on his own with Martin and Smith.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Thank you. Seems like a lot of people just don't get this...he's a trigger man, he needs a set up man.

And lol @ him ending up in the KHL soon. Babcock loves him and loves what he brings, and defensively he has been very solid for this team. There have been many nights where he's been the only guy on the 4th line generating any scoring chances.

These same people thought Leivo was junk, when in reality he just wasn't getting the right opportunity.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

JVR is a supreme talent????. He might be a better than average player but supreme? I can't see the value of signing JVR long term. And Sosh is a nice 4th liner but even in Russia he wasn't a goal scorer and age 24. I don't see him getting much better.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
JVR is a supreme talent????. He might be a better than average player but supreme? I can't see the value of signing JVR long term. And Sosh is a nice 4th liner but even in Russia he wasn't a goal scorer and age 24. I don't see him getting much better.

First of all he's 23. Secondly he put up 14 goals in 57 games in the KHL which are good totals for the KHL. He also scored 18 goals in 52 games AHL games playing on the third line. The kid can score if put into scoring roles but the best part about Sosh is he can play other well roles too. Sosh is a real asset and those who doubt him will see this in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad