Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Nikita Soshnikov

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
First of all he's 23. Secondly he put up 14 goals in 57 games in the KHL which are good totals for the KHL. He also scored 18 goals in 52 games AHL games playing on the third line. The kid can score if put into scoring roles but the best part about Sosh is he can play other well roles too. Sosh is a real asset and those who doubt him will see this in time.

He's played his 4th line role very well but it's hard to see more than that happening for him here. Do you see him being put into a scoring role on this Team?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Thank you. Seems like a lot of people just don't get this...he's a trigger man, he needs a set up man.

And lol @ him ending up in the KHL soon. Babcock loves him and loves what he brings, and defensively he has been very solid for this team. There have been many nights where he's been the only guy on the 4th line generating any scoring chances.

These same people thought Leivo was junk, when in reality he just wasn't getting the right opportunity.

Word out of Marlie land last year was that Sosh had a hard time playing with skilled players, wanted the puck on his stick too much. This would seem to make sense as he played his best with Goat & Clune. Those 3 were a set line for a good chunk of the season.

From everything I've seen this year, that still makes sense to me. He's not a "find some space in the slot" type of guy then get off a quick wrister, even on the kadri line he seems to like to carry the puck and load up the heavy wrister from the boards.

Leivo has put up more points in like 9 games then Sosh in 40+, and he like Brown both started on the 4th line.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Soshnikov is a solid energy player with a good shot and appears to be pretty good on the PK but I agree that his vision isn't really good, which limits his upside.

I really like that he's fearless and he really doesn't shy away from getting physical despite his size. Perhaps to a fault though because injuries have creeped up on him all ready.

He can probably move up the lineup if you're in a pinch due to injuries or whatever but he's probably going to be more effective with less minutes and lower in your lines.

I can see him getting really hot in the near future and everyone will think he's turned a big corner but I think he'll always be that kind of player, hot and cold in terms of offense.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thank you. Seems like a lot of people just don't get this...he's a trigger man, he needs a set up man.

And lol @ him ending up in the KHL soon. Babcock loves him and loves what he brings, and defensively he has been very solid for this team. There have been many nights where he's been the only guy on the 4th line generating any scoring chances.

These same people thought Leivo was junk, when in reality he just wasn't getting the right opportunity.

How do you know they're the same people, keep a list?

No doubt Babcock loves him, he's a good soldier. Babcock won't have any say in the players future. It's not unheard of that players return home to the KHL, they're in it for the money after all. Why does that make you giggle?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Word out of Marlie land last year was that Sosh had a hard time playing with skilled players, wanted the puck on his stick too much. This would seem to make sense as he played his best with Goat & Clune. Those 3 were a set line for a good chunk of the season.

From everything I've seen this year, that still makes sense to me. He's not a "find some space in the slot" type of guy then get off a quick wrister, even on the kadri line he seems to like to carry the puck and load up the heavy wrister from the boards.

Leivo has put up more points in like 9 games then Sosh in 40+, and he like Brown both started on the 4th line.

he is with the equivalent of Goat & Clune this year too? in fact with the actual goat a fair bit too. Why find space in the slot only for martin or smith/goat to fumble it in the corner might as well go and grab the puck and try yourself

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 4th highlight-montage for Nikita Soshnikov (#26)., ...who played Right-Wing position with the 2016-17 Toronto Marlies...
....and the 2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs...

Nikita never got as much as time this season, as I would have liked to see from him.., but maybe if he works harder in off-season.. he can impress Babs in Camp.. I see a lot of good playing habits in this kid.. and he uses his body very well, in the corners..
Worth hanging onto, imo.., if it is possible.. with this expansion Draft..

628-nikita-soshnikov.jpg

Nikita Soshnikov
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born Oct 14 1993 -- Nizhny Tagil, Russia
23 yrs. ago
Height 5.11 -- Weight 190

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
11 Games... 2 Goals... 3 Assists... 5 Points... -4
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Marlies - AHL
52 Games... 18 Goals... 10 Assists... 28 Points... +26
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
11 Games... 5 Goals... 2 Assists... 7 Points... +5
2016-17 - Team Russia - International
4 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -1
*2016-17 Toronto Marlies - AHL
6 Games... 1 Goal... 2 Assists... 3 Points... +1
*2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
56 Games... 5 Goals... 4 Assists... 9 Points... +1

Clips include: All of Nikita's 2016-17 season Toronto Maple Leafs goals..; two good hits, from this season..; one goal from season start, with the Toronto Marlies..; Nikita's first & second NHL goals ...and one Shoot-Out Game-Winning-Goal.., from the 2015-16 season...
..and a few other 2016-17 clips and photos...

Hit. Score. ...Woo! : *All Nikita Soshnikov 2016-17 Season Goals - TML (HD)

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
soshnikov is a lot like grabovski in how he plays.

Reckless.

I think he'd be better off, hitting like he does, but being more like komarov and picking his spots better, and not yapping so much.

Soshnikov gets targeted a lot because he gets in players faces, and then the entire opposing team is targeting him.

He'd be better off hitting someone and skating away like Leo does. He'd also probably be more effective offensively, if he focused less on hitting and more of getting the puck and doing something with it.

Don't get me wrong, I love his physical play... but sometimes I think it's gets in the way of his talents.

He needs to be quiet, pick his spots and focus on the puck more. I think this would maximize his potential. Also needs to put on some girth.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I won't be surprised if Soshnikov decides to go back to the KHL next season... I don't see the fit with us...

The kid is an NHLer. Problem with the Leafs is we just have a lot of depth. One spot for Kapanen, Leipsic, Leivo, Rychel, Soshnikov, Gauthier, etc to fight for.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I won't be surprised if Soshnikov decides to go back to the KHL next season... I don't see the fit with us...

I wouldn't mind if he went back for a year. Help him get his offensive game back in a more expanded role and then come back to us in 18/19.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i like sosh's leo like game...crazy that at least 2 maybe all 3 of sosh, leivo, and kappy might not make team next year, the forward depth is real

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

He is a great fit for us. Not sure why you think he isnt. A perfect 3rd liner who can play with talented players

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He is a great fit for us. Not sure why you think he isnt. A perfect 3rd liner who can play with talented players

When has he shown he's capable of playing with talented players? A 10 games stretch 2 years ago in garbage time?

Brown started off on 4th line and moved his way up, Leivo started off on the 4th line and proved to be a better fit higher in the lineup. Sosh had his chance with the kadri line, and got a fair amount of PP time earlier in the season and couldn't make it work.

Additionally he gelled better with Goat and Clune in the AHL 2 years ago instead of guys like Nylander or Arcobello.

I've never really seen him show anything to prove that he belongs anywhere but the 4th line. Which I don't mind because we've got plenty of top 9 wing options going forward.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

9 points doesn't scream 3rd liner. He seems more like an energy guy to me, but 10:00 TOI isn't enough time to show an upside either IMO. If he is back it might be nice to see what he can do with upwards of 15:00 TOI on a regular line. Hyman had 1 point in his first dozen games and they rolled him out 16:00+ a night.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
i like sosh's leo like game...crazy that at least 2 maybe all 3 of sosh, leivo, and kappy might not make team next year, the forward depth is real

Kappy will be in the opening lineup He's got nothing more to prove in the ahl, and didn't look out of place at all in nhl...not even in the playoffs.

Kapanen i don't think can be grouped with sosh and leivo.

I know what you mean though... something has to give.

Sosh and Leivo both showed they belong in an nhl lineup. Leipsic didn't even get an opportunity this year, but looked pretty good last season. Johnsson isn't getting any young and has had a pretty good first full n.american season, and Rychel played strong at the end.... this isn't even mentioning gauthier, who looked good in his call-up but definitely could continue to use an offensive role at the ahl level. He's been pretty productive in one this playoffs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Have to expect that the leafs are gonna unload some of their plethora of nhl ready waiver eligible prospects..... I see the value in Martin for one more season at least. However it's easy to see how we could be pretty stacked 4 line team without him. Buuut on the other hand, he's very valuable still to the development of Matthews, marner, nylander, kapanen etc. Good to have that protection.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
At least two of Sosh, Leivo, Rychel, and Leipsic will be gone through trade and expansion draft in the summer. Unless the Leafs trade away both Bozak and JVR and only getting Dmen, prospects and picks back.

To me, I think Leivo is exactly like Panik with a better shot. A really good forward(cap and skill wise) for a team with a tight cap.
Sosh is the energy player, ideal for the 4th line or as the 13th forward, as you know what you will be getting when he plays.
Rychel is interesting due to his size and skill, would love to see what he can do in the NHL before passing him one.
Leipsic just lacks size, or he would have been with the Leafs already.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At least two of Sosh, Leivo, Rychel, and Leipsic will be gone through trade and expansion draft in the summer. Unless the Leafs trade away both Bozak and JVR and only getting Dmen, prospects and picks back.

FYI: Soshnikov does not need to be protected in the expansion draft as he is ineligible to be claimed. The other 3 however are all in jeopardy and baring a trade Leafs could only protect 1 of them.

I think Babcock likes Sosh and the way he plays and could see him getting a larger role in the future moving up the depth chart.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Some of you are underrating how much other teams hate the guy. When he's healthy he lives in the other team's head. We all saw how much Kadri drew Washington's focus, having a few more players like that scattered throughout the lineup could be a bigger benefit than just the sum of their points.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Some of you are underrating how much other teams hate the guy. When he's healthy he lives in the other team's head. We all saw how much Kadri drew Washington's focus, having a few more players like that scattered throughout the lineup could be a bigger benefit than just the sum of their points.

no prob with that , but grundstrom could probably do that role better, with a higher scoring sense.

i like sosh, but i think we should let him get his opp elsewhere.

we've seen what he has, and i'd prioritize kappy and leivo over him and see what:

korshov, grundstrom, bracco and joshua have.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
i like sosh, he skates hard, skates well, very feisty and physical and tough, finishes checks...he has a good shot, but his stick handling, and overall skills arent good enough to consistently get off good shots, doesnt carry puck well and always fumbles the puck...good 4th line grinding player/13th waiting for injury type forward imo, he can skate, plays solid D, hits, can rip it if he gets a chance and PKs well...hes very useful depth imo

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Sosh is an interesting case. He is effective on the fourth line no doubt but i wonder how long he will remain content playing there.

He has the ability to score and play higher in the lineup then the 4th line but on our team I just don't know who i would ever bump to give him the space. Unless he were to take a large step forward and pass the likes of Brown, Kappy, and Leipsic it looks like he only fits into the 4th line role.

My only worry is he becomes frustrated playing that low in the lineup and eyes a return back to KHL. It wouldnt be a huge loss to our team but it would suck to lose him for nothing.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I don't think the Leafs 'need' him. He wouldn't be a huge sacrifice to get an older player to fill in a hole if there's nothing in the pipeline to do the job yet. Or be converted to a prospect to put in that pipeline. Everyone might be happy if he's traded to Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad