Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Nikita Soshnikov

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
His shot is a joy to watch.

Absolute cannon.

He's the kind of guy that makes your team tough to play against in the playoffs.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I see Sosh as more of a Brad Marchand type of player. Has grit and wheels and will chip in on the offense as well.
Does anyone else get the feeling we may have hit the jackpot with a similar player in Zaitsev ( just on the D side of things). I wouldn't doubt they were both brought to Hunter's attention by our Russian scout.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I see Sosh as more of a Brad Marchand type of player. Has grit and wheels and will chip in on the offense as well.
Does anyone else get the feeling we may have hit the jackpot with a similar player in Zaitsev ( just on the D side of things). I wouldn't doubt they were both brought to Hunter's attention by our Russian scout.

Zaitsev's GM is some guy named Sergei Fedorov. He might be the one to tip us off on him.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I can see that angle....ties run deep. I'm sure Namestnikov has a Keen eye for talent as well. Keep em coming, it's about time we started farming the Russian leagues. Lord knows Burkie was biased against.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

is he good enuff the play in the world cup or world championships?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/breaking-barriers-days-work-maple-leafs-soshnikov/

Great article on Soshnikov from Johnston. Great read.

It was Evgeny Namestnikov, Atlant’s assistant coach and a European scout for the Leafs, that put Soshnikov on the radar of team management. Director of player development Mark Hunter and director of player evaluation Jim Paliafito were among those who travelled to Russia to watch him play.

But when it came time to negotiate the terms of an entry-level contract, they weren’t involved in a bidding war like the one that occurred with Artemi Panarin, for example. Only one other NHL team even contacted Craig Oster, Soshnikov’s agent from Newport Sports, expressing interest in the winger.

But what really set Soshnikov apart was an atypical level of determination – even when measured against a peer group of young athletes one rung below the NHL. Along with Marlies defenceman Rinat Valiev, a fellow Russian with whom he lives in Toronto, he vowed not to miss a day.

When the Marlies didn’t skate, he was in the gym. On the bus rides following road games, he was studying shifts on an iPad. When practice ended, he stayed out to work on his shot.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Sosh is going to be a fan favourite. I love the way he plays. The good thing is that he's not s loveable 4th liner...he's got legit skill to be a top six player for us. He's the perfect winger a rookie centre could ask for (Matthews ;))

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its hard not to like Soshnikov's game.

He is a heat seeking missile with a bullet for shot and and engine that seems to always be reeving in the red danger compete level.

Can't help but love this kid's heart.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Its hard not to like Soshnikov's game.

He is a heat seeking missile with a bullet for shot and and engine that seems to always be reeving in the red danger compete level.

Can't help but love this kid's heart.

When a number of the regular Marlie watchers were talking up his game there were more than a few scoreboard watchers that would put him down, or put down our exuberance. Whether he was producing points or not, he was consistently one of the top 3 players on the team. He didn't score a point until the 5th game, but he had already impressed enough that he had become one of the favourites.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
When a number of the regular Marlie watchers were talking up his game there were more than a few scoreboard watchers that would put him down, or put down our exuberance. Whether he was producing points or not, he was consistently one of the top 3 players on the team. He didn't score a point until the 5th game, but he had already impressed enough that he had become one of the favourites.

I've watched at least 25-30 Marlies games this year, and I honestly didn't come away all that impressed with him compared to 3-5 other forwards. He showed his tools obviously, but seemed like he still had a long way to go.

So far he's just transitioned to the NHL completely seamlessly though, like it wasn't even a step up for him. That's huge.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Ya I remember that. But we, the watchers, just knew the truth.
Heart skill grit smarts.

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
Kid's a real player

What a relief, going from phil and the 'no give-a-$#!% meter' gang...

to guys like uncle leo, naz, sosh, leipsic, carrick, hyman..

These guys play hard. Finally showing some respect to the Maple Leafs jersey. TYBSHANAPLAN

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

When I saw the assists from Gauthier on his goals I wondered if he would do better with a talented center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad