Prospect Info: Player Discussion: Nikita Soshnikov

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think he's got a future as a solid 3rd liner in the NHL. I hope it's with us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sosh is a younger version of uncle Leo and his potential replacement down the road playing a similar style and role.

Soshnikov -- Kadri -- Brownie

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Sosh is a younger version of uncle Leo and his potential replacement down the road playing a similar style and role.

Soshnikov -- Kadri -- Brownie

I don't think Sosh has the size/build to withstand playing the "Leo" style for a prolonged period of time.

Personally I would have any of Hyman, Leivo, Johnsson, Rychel, Grundstrom and maybe even Leipsic on that line over Sosh. I just can't picture Sosh being a consistent ~30pt threat going forward.

He'll be 24 at the start of next season, at what point do we accept this is the player he is, and there isn't some untapped offensive potential under the surface.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't think Sosh has the size/build to withstand playing the "Leo" style for a prolonged period of time.

Personally I would have any of Hyman, Leivo, Johnsson, Rychel, Grundstrom and maybe even Leipsic on that line over Sosh. I just can't picture Sosh being a consistent ~30pt threat going forward.

He'll be 24 at the start of next season, at what point do we accept this is the player he is, and there isn't some untapped offensive potential under the surface.

Get Sosh more TOI/g and with better offensive linemates and watch him potentially pot close to 20 goals.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
Get Sosh more TOI/g and with better offensive linemates and watch him potentially pot close to 20 goals.

He was getting PP minutes at the start of the year and got a chance with Kadri line at one point and did nothing with it. He hasn't really earned a promotion or more minutes. Each year there will be another crop of forwards with higher offensive upside then him fighting for their place in the top 9.

I'd be pretty happy with him long term as a 4th line energy/PK guy capable of providing a spark here and there and putting up ~15 pts/year.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He was getting PP minutes at the start of the year and got a chance with Kadri line at one point and did nothing with it. He hasn't really earned a promotion or more minutes. Each year there will be another crop of forwards with higher offensive upside then him fighting for their place in the top 9.

I'd be pretty happy with him long term as a 4th line energy/PK guy capable of providing a spark here and there and putting up ~15 pts/year.

Although he was getting those opportunities we have to keep in mind that he was still a rookie. For me he had a very good rookie year. I think expecting 10 goals a year is very much within his reach. His value is going to be value and tenacity

Something tells me if he played in the playoffs, he would have ripped Kuznestov apart.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Doesn't look like much more than a 4th line/AHL player to me.
Good shot though.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think I like him a bit more than most here. Great motor on the forecheck and a wicked shot that we haven't seen much of in the NHL yet, but he definitely has it. His defensive game is fine too considering how successful the PK was when he was on the ice.

Would have liked to see him get a try in Hyman's spot at some point.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Doesn't look like much more than a 4th line/AHL player to me.
Good shot though.

He was on our 4th line because of our depth up front. He has way too much speed, skill, and creativity to be a career 4th liner.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

To be fair - until Boyle came on board he was playing with players who have absolutely stone hands offensively - ie Smith, Martin and the Goat as linemates aren't helping things here.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
9 points doesn't scream 3rd liner. He seems more like an energy guy to me, but 10:00 TOI isn't enough time to show an upside either IMO. If he is back it might be nice to see what he can do with upwards of 15:00 TOI on a regular line. Hyman had 1 point in his first dozen games and they rolled him out 16:00+ a night.

But Hyman has an elite drive train. He does what he has to do to get better each and every night. He eats right, lives right and trains right. He does good things so good things happen to him. He says his prayers, eats his vitamins and listens to country music.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It looks like he will be more than just a 4th line player.
The narrative though

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Although he was getting those opportunities we have to keep in mind that he was still a rookie. For me he had a very good rookie year. I think expecting 10 goals a year is very much within his reach. His value is going to be value and tenacity

Something tells me if he played in the playoffs, he would have ripped Kuznestov apart.

Yup. I am not the biggest fan but he isnt a 4th liner. He is more than just a 4th line energy player.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
He's an NHL player, but I don't think he'll ever score as much as his wrist shot would suggest. It's a laser but it's a slow release, and I haven't seen a lot of high-end offensive creativity from him. I think he'll have Kulemin-type impact, which is pretty decent for a guy we picked up for nothing.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
To be fair - until Boyle came on board he was playing with players who have absolutely stone hands offensively - ie Smith, Martin and the Goat as linemates aren't helping things here.

He also got PP time early in the year on one of the the top PPs in the league?

I'm not down on the kid.

15/16 he worked best with Goat and Clune despite getting opportunities with Nylander and Arcobello.

16/17 did not do anything with his chances to move up the lineup or produce when given PP opportunities (Brown and Leivo both took full advantage to move into top 9).

Nothing wrong with him chipping in ~10 goals 15 pts playing energy role on the 4th line and providing solid PK play.

I just don't see ~30pt upside, and don't think we even need that from him as there are at least a half dozen wingers with higher offensive upsides knocking on the door.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
He's an NHL player, but I don't think he'll ever score as much as his wrist shot would suggest. It's a laser but it's a slow release, and I haven't seen a lot of high-end offensive creativity from him. I think he'll have Kulemin-type impact, which is pretty decent for a guy we picked up for nothing.

Exactly. To this point he has never shown any real creativity or playmaking ability, and his shot is only effective when he has the time to load it up. Has not show the ability to find the soft spot in the slot and snipe like a Brown or a Leivo, and he doesn't have the size (or style) to crash the net and bang in rebounds.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
https://video.khl.ru/iframe/feed/start/free_55daf7c1014f8216a13fc8d185627088_hd/q637785/57ac480d5edd6844570e7980a4ab8aa5/4727605681?sr=109&type_id=24&autostart=1&width=100%&height=100%&lang=ru

I am just watching Salavat Yulaev vs Vityaz Podolsk in the KHL.
I am sharing you a really nice goal of Sosh and a quick update. I am really happy for him!
Since going to the KHL he has really matured as a player and turned into a leader for his team.
He is currently an A on Salavat Yulaev and the young guys are saying he is a good mentor for them.
It did not workout for him here, but he was always a nice guy and thought you would like a little update.
Wish him all the best. :)

WOW! He actually just scored the OT goal, giving the win to his team with 2:1. Both goals scored by Sosh! Amazing! (you can watch both goals from the score link)
Хоккей. КХЛ. Регулярный чемпионат. Игра номер 246 24 окт. 2019: Салават Юлаев-Витязь (онлайн трансляция)

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Good for him. Hope he does well there and maybe gets another shot in the NHL later. I liked how hard he played, he reminded me of a Kulemin-Grabovski hybrid.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad