GDT: Play-In Thing - Game #1: Columbus @ Toronto - 8pm | SN | Series Tied 0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Listen to ole Mikeyg for once. This is how this korpi guy always plays. He goes stone wall for the first 10-15 mins, you get one by him, and then the floodgates burst open. All you need is the first one, and then goals 2-4 will come quick. Him and Jimmy Howard are both like that.

Reactions: LeafChief

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Starting Korpisalo I can reasonably understand. At least it isn't the galaxy brain of starting Mike Smith over Koskinen due to "intangible playoff experience" and his "superior" puck handling skill.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Korpi is a fine goalie, and certainly capable of good games, but I do believe Elvis is the better one. If I'm Freddy, there is no way I can't be better then Korpi.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I know it is hard to comprehend but the stats are taken off of what happened on the ice. They don't just magically populate an excel spreadsheet lol.

Not always. Expected goals or stats based on some arbitrary % rate are not >>> then actual goals.

In the case of the post of "Joonas Korpisalo Goals Saved Above Expectation" .. Who's expectation and who is the shooter taking that shot?

Actual goalie saves made and his sv% is based on real stats based on what happened on the ice, whereas expected stats are computer generated based on predetermined areas on the ice where events occur from and some hypothetical outcome that should happen, and what value/rate you happen to place on that.

A coach will always have a better feel for the game based on viewing the results and experience if a goalie is on his game, his confidence level and his performance.. Similarly I wouldn't expect the Leafs to be playing Campbell instead of Andersen if his hypothetical underlying analytics were better, and I would even say the same if his actual stats were better.

It wouldn't be a stretch to say Korpo has likely outplayed Elvis in camp and in the exhibition game and thus earned the first crack and trying to stop Matthews.. Good luck he is going to need it. :) ..

Putting any value of what happened years ago in 2017-18 seems silly to me based on that post in question.

This series seems to starting both teams playing the goalie with the most NHL experience. That said if Leafs chase Korpisalo from the net, I wouldn't doubt we would see Elvis in short order but not because of the analytics prior to that. IMO

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know it is hard to comprehend but the stats are taken off of what happened on the ice. They don't just magically populate an excel spreadsheet lol.
Are the BJs so misinformed that they are starting the obvious worse goalie? Perhaps they are throwing the series.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Keep Marincin off the ice, hell dont even let him into SBA

tell him the game is at Ricoh instead. Do whatever it takes.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Okay I know it's early, but whats with these PP's?
Barely a minute in and 1st penalty in the Preds Yotes game.

member 300185

Have to win tonight. If not, the media will be unbearable with Boston and 1967 references. I will turn off my TV until the next game if that happens.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
scratch barrie and play sandin instead and put Rielly on the 1st PP unit please

barrie scares the crap out of me even worst than gardiner

Reactions: rubous

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I never suggested that? Teams make incorrect lineup decisions literally all the time.
Yet the assumption is some random guy on Twitter knows better.
How are incorrect lineup decisions determined?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yet the assumption is some random guy on Twitter knows better.
How are incorrect lineup decisions determined?
You do realize those are readily available stats that are out there for pretty much anyone to see right? That guy just does visualization cards for analytics for Sportsnet and the Athletic to make it easier to read. Incorrect lineup decisions are determined when you play worse players in bigger roles then better alternatives. For example, Elvis Merzlikins is a better goalie then Korpisalo. People can get angry at numbers as much as they want it doesn't make them false.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You do realize those are readily available stats that are out there for pretty much anyone to see right? That guy just does visualization cards for analytics for Sportsnet and the Athletic to make it easier to read. Incorrect lineup decisions are determined when you play worse players in bigger roles then better alternatives. For example, Elvis Merzlikins is a better goalie then Korpisalo. People can get angry at numbers as much as they want it doesn't make them false.

So Torts who is up for coach of the year has picked Korpisalo instead of Elvis.

I believe he is going with the goalie with the most NHL experience to start, instead of a rookie. I think that is a decision that many coaches would make. IMO

Why do you suggest he did that?

Reactions: BayStBullies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad