GDT: Play-In Thing - Game #1: Columbus @ Toronto - 8pm | SN | Series Tied 0-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So Torts who is up for coach of the year has picked Korpisalo instead of Elvis.

I believe he is going with the goalie with the mos NHL experience to start, instead of a rookie.

Why do you suggest he did that?
I mean they basically came out and said that they are playing him "because he put the time in" you don't really need to infer the reasoning. Elvis objectively had a better season. Whether you want to use old stats or new stats he was better.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Starting Korpisalo I can reasonably understand. At least it isn't the galaxy brain of starting Mike Smith over Koskinen due to "intangible playoff experience" and his "superior" puck handling skill.

This is part of the reason why knowing their opponent so far in advance can be a bad thing for these teams: Over-analyzing everything.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yea, would have went with Elvis.

Not sure how you dont go with the keeper who has one of the top save% in the league this year and instead put in the guy with averagish stats when you are facing one of the offensive powerhouses of the league.

member 300185

Sheldon looks like he did not get any sleep last night during his presser. Eyes droopy, paused on some answers. I hope he gets a good nap this afternoon. We need him sharp up against Torts.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Playoffs comes down to compete and goaltending before anything else can make it's mark. You can have everything elite but being 2nd class in either or of these 2 things is a recipe for losing a series... We all know that the achilies heel of the Toronto Maple Leafs from the top of the roster down is the inconsistency of competing each and every shift as the teams major downfall.

If the Leafs match CBJ's or exceed them in competing and work ethic only goaltending can save CBJ. In fact if the Leafs match or exceed any team in the compete and work ethic department I would go as far to say that these Leafs will make the finals if not win it all.

"COMPETE" isn't a buzz word. It's the difference between this team achiving it's goals or not.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I mean they basically came out and said that they are playing him "because he put the time in" you don't really need to infer the reasoning. Elvis objectively had a better season. Whether you want to use old stats or new stats he was better.

No argument that Elvis had better personal stats this season, but that was my original point that its not a spreadsheet that should govern these types of decisions, but rather based on how the current situation is unfolding. CBJ obviously believes Korpo gives them the better odds of winning.

Hopefully our Leafs prepared for both CBJ goalies, and not just trusted and prepared for Elvis and assumed he was that one they would be facing because that is what the stats said should happen, because then Torts just tossed a monkey wrench into Leafs preparation plans. Some coaches even do this on purpose to mess with the heads of the opposition.

Elvis has never faced the Maple Leafs ever in his career so his stats are based on playing teams other than Leafs so how relevant are those #'s? .. Whereas Korpisalo has played and faced Leafs 4 times in his career including both games this season. That might very well be the underlying reason that only one of CBJ goalies has ever faced Leaf shooters before to have a book on players and a track record to give him the early nod in net to start.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see both goalies in this series as neither has any "playoff like experience" which in one area where Andersen has a leg up on his competition in this series. On paper Freddy's numbers this year were not as good as either CBJ netminder, but luckily for us again those stats wouldn't dictate on ice results. :)

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Sheldon looks like he did not get any sleep last night during his presser. Eyes droopy, paused on some answers. I hope he gets a good nap this afternoon. We need him sharp up against Torts.
As long as he actually uses last change to get prefered matchups I'm happy.

One of the things that really bugged me last year was hard matching Tavares and Marner against the Bergeron line when we had last change. Basically eliminated that line from getting chances to take advantage of some weaker players 5 on 5.

Reactions: Drunken Leafs Fan

Cotton

May 13, 2013
- worse players in bigger roles then better alternatives. For example, Elvis Merzlikins is a better goalie then Korpisalo. People can get angry at numbers as much as they want it doesn't make them false.

Weird, Blue Jackets fans, the people who actually watch these guys every game, seem to think it’s Korpi.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You do realize those are readily available stats that are out there for pretty much anyone to see right? That guy just does visualization cards for analytics for Sportsnet and the Athletic to make it easier to read. Incorrect lineup decisions are determined when you play worse players in bigger roles then better alternatives. For example, Elvis Merzlikins is a better goalie then Korpisalo. People can get angry at numbers as much as they want it doesn't make them false.
Why would anyone play worse players in bigger roles?
I guess it’s just the arrogance that comes through in those posts that rub some the wrong way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I guess it’s just the arrogance that comes through in those posts that rub some the wrong way.

Torts probably understands that past and historical stats do not impact future result outcomes, so he doesn't feel compelled to use irrelevant facts to govern present day decisions. :)

Regular season stats don't carry forward they get reset with the start of the series, so they can't impact the outcome.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Weird, Blue Jackets fans, the people who actually watch these guys every game, seem to think it’s Korpi.
Elvis played 33 games with a .924 save percentage and Korpi played 37 with a .911. I am using stats everyone should feel safe and comfortable with. Opinions are awesome. Totally cool. The facts are that Merzlikins had a better season lol.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Because people make mistakes and make wrong decisions all the time and it usually isn't intentional. I don't think anyone is implying that Torts walked into his office and willingly decided to play a worse goalie lol.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Torts probably understands that past and historical stats do not impact future result outcomes, so he doesn't feel compelled to use irrelevant facts to govern present day decisions.
Oh, so Gauthier could become the next "best player in the league"? I mean, you can't learn anything from past stats, right? It's all just random? :eyeroll:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Oh, so Gauthier could become the next "best player in the league"? I mean, you can't learn anything from past stats, right? It's all just random? :eyeroll:

this is poor reasoning;

so if a team beats someone in the regular season then they should be a shoe in for the playoff series win against the same opponent lol

Reactions: rubous

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Getting my copy and paste comments ready for tonight:

Ok let’s go!
We can do this!
Auston starts strong again !
Souperman! 1st NHL playoff goal!
Got to keep the pedal to the metal!
No!